Murrays projects 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
So here's the new babies. Not gonna bottle these. Well, I may or may not try n bottle Speckles.
For now, they got feed, water n hay.
They are penned until the bawl is gone gone, then they'll go on my lil acre w Midnight the weaned bottle baby.
They all came to feed this morning.
20210723_064143.jpg
Speckles is the gentlest. The dark blond is a kicking lil twat! Red runs around like an idiot til the feed is where it's supposed to be.
The new bottle baby did just fine this morning. Shes almost got it figured out.
20210723_063607.jpg
I'll get a couple pics of the 2 new pairs this weekend. They are getting settled in.
Bags are a bit small (knew that when I bought em and took the chance for the money, bid accordingly... lol) Their Babies seem to be doing good tho.
I'm gonna get em some grain for a few weeks and see if that helps.
Here we go. Straight out the trailer and right to mowing the lawn...
20210722_184406.jpg
As I was putting this up, the lil bwf decided to practice testing the hot wire! I tested the fence b4 I put em out there, but u appreciate her willingness to help....
First moo i got outta her. 🤠

Attachments

• 20210723_063607.jpg
    20210723_063607.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Looks like some fun projects, and ends with a grill?🤔🤤🤤
Though, i do luv the name Speckles; original and probably had to decide between several to get to Speckles.😜😜 but, i bought a highland earlier this year and sister named it Fluffy.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😂
LOL @ hot wire testing. Had a calf a few weeks ago trying to test every inch of the hotwire🐂⚡🐂

Them mamas finally decided to heck with this! Midnight gets all the feed. We gonna have to do something about that!
They finally came up this morning. As u can see, the lil bull calf is near as big as midnight, and shes going on 3 months old. And that lil white face heifer is too cute! Small small baby. Reminds me of @TCRanch lil tiny calf she had here a lil while back. Hows he doing btw?
20210724_064145.jpg
Udders are small but powerful I reckon! Calves are doing great so far.
20210724_064336.jpg
Did I mention these 2 pairs both weigh less than 800 lbs??
That's the pair now! With calves!
🤣 mighty moos!
20210724_070513.jpg
So far my favorite is Snowball
On the left.. lol

Last edited:
Story on this "one?"lol
I hav a heifer that looks similar in size and color. Originally black but turned red. Alas, one less black calf to sell.
Shes the only left. Lol
Someone wanted Speckles and the bottle heifer and the the big tan one more than I did.
This big red one will go out to pasture to grow for a couple months b4 I sell her. Shes gotta calm down some. Unless someone wants her more than I do as well.... we will see. Feeding her some honey grain and hay for now. Shes getting a little less skittish. When I started with her, she would run around like a fool every time I came to feed her. Shes no puppy yet, but a little better.
Feed tends to settle em down a lil

@MurraysMutts he's doing great. Had a little foot rot but ate Sustain boluses in the pasture (plus Banamine Transdermal), so I didn't have to get him in. Even mama looks better, but I'm still going to sell her at weaning.
Is she running with the same bull that bred her for this one? U should come out good with her. To me, anyway, sounds like a pretty good lil gal doing her job. That's worth a bunch

I like your projects Murray. When I was growing up we had beef and dairy. My Mom liked the jerseys and she would buy the most gosh awful looking little scrub jersey heifers from 5 or 6 months old up to coming two year olds. I was really embarrassed by some of these scrawny little critters she brought home. But she would baby them along, feed them good and wind up with some really pretty heifers. I don't remember any of them disappointing her. She was game to put anything in the dairy string that would milk adequately. We had Brown Swiss, Jersey, Guernsey crosses, Holstein/Jersey, Hereford/Jersey, Angus/Jersey and a Charolais/Holstein (this cow wash a kicking machine, when you walked down behind the line of stanchioned cows, you would almost always see a blurr of a hind foot about head high that just barely missed, again).

Enjoy what you're doing Murray :cool:

Is she running with the same bull that bred her for this one? U should come out good with her. To me, anyway, sounds like a pretty good lil gal doing her job. That's worth a bunch
Yes, and he's definitely not a calving ease bull. Another reason I still can't figure out why/how she had such a tiny calf. But this year I paired Willy with Woody, put Johnson with the heifers. I'm impressed with her improvement (specifically weight gain) but I haven't seen either one of the bulls tag her - or even follow her around. She's a sweetheart and I hate to sell her, but I need to cull.

Bottle calves and milk are too high for my blood now if you lose one calf youre in the red with no way out... When i was buying the 2.00 bottle babies you could make a lil bit off them and i do mean little

So I've got the 2 pair somewhat penned up with my bottle calf, Midnight. They have about an acre of decent grass. Shes off the bottle. Been off a while now.

Wanted to keep an eye on the pairs. Calves and udders especially.
They seem to be doing just fine!
Snowball's bull/steer is grazing and eating feed with the mamas already.
Sugar's lil heifer sleeps a LOT. LOL
I've been feeding a scoop each twice a day. Just 14% creep. They now stand and wait at the bunk when they see me....

Big Red is still penned. I think shes sold.
Fat lil fart anyway. Shes having a hard time settling down. While she knows what feed is, she is just too leery of humans.
20210727_203507.jpg

Snowball's lil heifer has gotten pretty droopy eared. I've been watching her close because shes been laying around a LOT when I think she should be up and around.
Had to kick her outta bed this morning. She didnt have the energy to run from me. Just slowly walked to mama. Shes got a messy yellow butt too. Seems to be nursing so theres that. Resflor and whatever these are.... glad I dont have to swaller' it
20210730_093545.jpg
Sugar's lil bull/steer is already eating feed with the mamas and Midnight. He is doing well.

I may be seeing things, but I'm almost positive the feed is helping improve the udder/milk of these 2 young mamas. Bags are starting to look like bags instead of just teats hanging from their belly. I'm certain they can use the feed as they are still growing lil mommy's themselves.

Last edited:
Sustain calf boluses; 1 per 50 lbs - and about a third of the size of the cattle bolus. But they're awesome! If I have an older calf that's already eating cubes, I break them in half and mix them with the cubes. Also good for foot rot & shipping fever.

Sustain calf boluses; 1 per 50 lbs - and about a third of the size of the cattle bolus. But they're awesome! If I have an older calf that's already eating cubes, I break them in half and mix them with the cubes. Also good for foot rot & shipping fever.
Is that what they are?
Thanks.
Vet just said give her both of em. Didnt take much effort. She was down when I got home. Breathing was labored. Shot first. Never even flinched. Then both pills down the hatch. Tried to get some water in her from a bottle but she was having none of that. Least the little stinker has a lil fight left in her. If this goes like it has in the past, I'm gonna have a hard time carrying her back to mama in the morning, because usually after about 12 hrs they got their energy back!
Shes in the trailer with shade and 5 gallon of water.
Calf is about 80 to 90 pounds.
I'll update in the morning....

Shes up!!
And her ears are too!
20210731_064026.jpg
Much more energy this morning. We walked around the trailer a couple times b4 I could scoop her up and carry her back to mama. She was also quite wiggly! Makes me happy. Modern medicine is always amazing to me when it comes to these critters. She was still breathing hard and down about midnight last night. I was seriously wondering if this gal was gonna pull thru. Been kicking myself for waiting as long as I did, but at the same time, I dont want to use antibiotics unnecessarily. So glad shes on the mend. Been nursing solid since I got her back with mama. Ain't letting up for nothing!
20210731_064156.jpg

Waiting at the breakfast table.... lol
Lil doctored calf made a great turnaround!
View attachment 6765
Perky little thing now, she is! Amazing how quickly they can turnaround. But same goes with the flip side, that no matter what you do, its not always enough.
I had one last week get the scours. Cpl ccs of nuflor and a pill. That was an event tho.haha I thot he was small enough to catch in the field without a rope by jumping on him. I misjudged how "small" & weak he was. Also found out need to practice more with the rope.😂😂 hes all good now, 'cept i think he gives me the stinkeye wen i show up.