murraygrey/herferd

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i just wanted some comments on crossing a mg. heifer with a small herferd bull. thx. Mr.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I'm not sure what kind of comments you're looking for.

The Hereford/Murray Grey cross gives you a very nice calf.

The bull's genetics will determine whether he tends to throw small calves or not. His size has nothing to do with his ability to throw small calves.

Crossing a Hereford with a MG heifer is chancy, but if things go well the calf will be a growthy one.

The Hereford/MG cross calves I've seen tend to be bally calves with dark hair around the eyes, kind of like the markings I've seen on some simmentals.

> i just wanted some comments on
> crossing a mg. heifer with a small
> herferd bull. thx. Mr.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

i was just wondering if or what kind of problems might occure. i don't have any way to ai and my neighbor was going to let me use her bull , he is really small and i have seen alot of his calves they are really small, but they do have big heads, i don't know if that would be a problem or not. I'm not sure what kind of comments
> you're looking for.

> The Hereford/Murray Grey cross
> gives you a very nice calf.

> The bull's genetics will determine
> whether he tends to throw small
> calves or not. His size has
> nothing to do with his ability to
> throw small calves.

> Crossing a Hereford with a MG
> heifer is chancy, but if things go
> well the calf will be a growthy
> one.

> The Hereford/MG cross calves I've
> seen tend to be bally calves with
> dark hair around the eyes, kind of
> like the markings I've seen on
> some simmentals.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Well, the genetics of the Murray Grey, if she was bred from low birthweight stock, will help with the size of the calf. Murray Greys also have a sloping shoulder that helps make the birth easier. But, how the genetics of the two animals combine remains to be seen.

The big heads you have seen might be a significant problem, as the head and shoulder of the calf are what make it easy or difficult to move through the birth canal.

Is the owner of the bull having to pull any calves? Is he using this bull on heifers or mature cows? Has he weighed any of the calves?

If your cow was a mature cow who had calved before, I wouldn't worry about it too much. But with a heifer of any breed, you have to think ahead.

If you decide to go ahead and use this bull, I would recommend you have your vet do a pelvic measurement on your heifer before you breed her. That will give you a much better idea of how she would do with calving. Also, make absolutely certain your neighbor's bull has a current Breeding Soundness Exam. This means he has been tested by a veterinarian for semen quality and reproductive ability, and has been tested for sexually transmitted diseases. There are some diseases that can be easily detected in the bull, like Trich, but are almost impossible to test for in the cow. All breeding bulls should have a BSE every single year before the breeding season.

Also, have you talked to your vet about any AI resources in your area? Often there are folks who have semen tanks who are willing to store semen for you for awhile. If there are any dairies in your area, they often AI and could refer you to a tech. The semen companies themselves are a good resource when it comes to locating someone to AI your cow.

Not to talk down your neighbor's bull, but I kind of wonder when you say his bull is small. Some breeds have problems with dwarf stock.

> i was just wondering if or what
> kind of problems might occure. i
> don't have any way to ai and my
> neighbor was going to let me use
> her bull , he is really small and
> i have seen alot of his calves
> they are really small, but they do
> have big heads, i don't know if
> that would be a problem or not.
> I'm not sure what kind of comments
 

Latest posts

Top