Murray Greys

Help Support CattleToday:

jgn

Reaction score
The more I look at the cows the more I like the looks of them, I was wanting to know how these would cross with a black angus and if anyone has any calves from this cross, if so does the black color prevail or would the grey be dominant. The sale barns around here love the black and black white faced calves.

WE have them here in SC KY and love them. Ours are purebred, so can't answer your cross-breeding question, but we use them for our direct marketed, grass finished beef, and have been very pleased.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

jgn":20883ryx said:
The more I look at the cows the more I like the looks of them, I was wanting to know how these would cross with a black angus and if anyone has any calves from this cross, if so does the black color prevail or would the grey be dominant. The sale barns around here love the black and black white faced calves.

Murray Grey is a cross between Black Angus and Shorthorn cattle.
You would get the same type of cattle as the Angus and the black hide should prevail.
In addition there whould be hybrid vigor in the calves

JGN: As you are probably aware the Murray Grey color ranges through all spectrums of the color grey, from the silver grey (almost white) through the deep chocolate brown (dun) all the way to the darkest grey (black). Now using a black bull over the darkest greys will most probably provide a black calf (black X black), the black bull on those chocolate color cows will also give mostly black, but not all will be black (black X dun) and finally the black bull on the silver color cows will result in a few blacks, a few silvers and mostly duns (black X silver). Somewhere i saw a chart of what percentages could be expected from the different matings. i will see if i can locate it and copy it into here.

Kevin

I have a dun bull, and one dun (chocolate) cow.She had her second calf this spring and they were both jet black. The dun bull with the silvers will give you mostly silvers,but will give some duns. You might want to go with the dun cows to be sure (almost) to get black calves. I have one young black bull,two silver,one grey,and a dun bull born this spring. Do you have angus cows already? Put a black or dun murray grey with them to get predominately black calves. If black is what you want.

Right now I have several black angus, a couple of red angus, a hereford, & a couple of red and white face crossbred cows, some of these my father-inlaw already had and are probably crosses of some type and not pure angus and the rest we purchased off a neighboring farm. All being bred to a purebred black angus bull. Also thanks to everyone for the replies and info.

I have used a Murray Grey bull on angus cows in the past. The bull was grey-not silver/not dun, but more of a medium grey. He tended to throw lighter calves with my purebred MG cows. Every calf he threw from the black angus was dun colored-very nice calves!

i have crossed a dun murray grey with the same coloured cows and have ended up with some silver calves. but when checked bulls parents his mother was silver,so it depends on the breeding as well.also have crossed with angus bull over dark cows and got light to medium brown calves.

I had a silver Murray Gray cow for 14 years, and she had every conceivable colored calf possible.. black, silver, red, and tiger striped. And never the combinations you would have thought.. she had a black calf when bred to a red Limousin, and the tiger stripe when bred to a gray Brahman.

Latest posts