Murray Greys from NZ

Help Support CattleToday:

waihou

Reaction score
Just been reading through the White Angus thread-so thought you might like to see some MG's! No breed other than Angus allowed to breed up the NZ version, and that was 40 years ago.

YorkvaleExaltE273.jpg

showanimals012.jpg

Here is one of our unweaned calves, born 3rd August 09. We are hoping to sell him at an All breeds Bull sale in May if he continues to grow after he is weaned. He's gaining over 1.6kgs/day to date, is that about 3.5lbs?
Just showed him on the weekend at a local All Breeds beef competition where he competed against Simmental, Herefords, Red Polls, Highlands and Galloways and beat all the adults to win the Supreme Champion award, much to our suprise. No fancy brushing and fluffing, just a good wash. He had a feed off his mother at 6am, took him for a 2 hour ride to the show for the day and home in time for tea!

Ours is an all grass operation, no fancy feeds apart from hay and silage in winter, outside all year round. A small operation 30 breeding cows on 52 acres.
He was clipped a week ago to remove his baby coat, scrubs up quite well! He weighs a little over 350kgs -about 770lbs and will be weaned in about a month.

Here are his Mum and Dad, mother is 3rd generation home bred.
Xaltsummer008.jpg

RamblerDec09.jpg

They are all three winners.
I can't imagine a whole lot more you could ask for in a momma cow.
Phenotype and what she puts on the ground.

These are the kind of cattle that got me interested in the MGs to start with.
Excellent.

Very short hair on the calf, looks a little strange but a very nice looking calf. Actually I just saw he was clipped, never mind :lol: . Parents both look fantastic. My father has Murrar Greys so I'll have to put some photos up sometime. One thing I noticed is his cows are more feminine than some that I've seen here, he used to breed dairy cattle so maybe he's still selecting based on that. They're great cattle, they finish really well on grass and a little grain.

I was thinking the first bull was a little short on scrotal development......then I read his age. I initially thought he was older by his size and overall development. Really nice animals, all of them!

Very nice pictures and animals. I don't know much about them and I've never seen one in "real life" but from what I've heard they seem to be a great breed. They sure look productive.

love that cow!

Congrats on the bull calf doing so well, he's a lovely calf. If I was being super critical I would like a tic more bone and testicle.

He is going to grow into a lovely sire. Keep us updated as he grows

btw, what are the pedigrees on mum and dad?

Thanks Keren, good to hear some comments on what could be better!
His dam is Yorkvale Xalt x83, if you want to look her up on www.murraygreys.co.nz She has Orcadia Park Manhattan and Kaba Park Woof Man on the sire side and Robern Mr Muscle and Lochaber Braes Diplomat on the dam side. All Aussie sires for those interested. Yes her BW EBV is a bit high at +5.4 but never had to lift a finger to help her or any of her family.
The sire is Kotare Rambler 150 is a few generations of NZ bred, but there is Gilmandyke Park Frame Up and Nimitz along with Woodbourn Fame back 3 or 4 generations ago. His BW EBV is +1.2 which off sets the dam a little!
She is a better bull breeder as both her heifers though meaty were disappointing. One didn't get in calf and the other aborted at 7 months, so have gone for burger mince!

Latest posts