murray grey

Help Support CattleToday:

Most but not all murray greys are grey, but they can vary from a light silver to a dark brown. I don't believe that black is allowed, but I could be wrong. Check out http://www.mgi-inc.org for further information.

I think now that black is indeed allowed. When I was in college I showed a reg. Black Murrey. She was a MCC Triggers Champion I believe. One of the big shows is held during the OSU fair. More and more blacks are showing every year.

Appears that Angus don't own deception by themselves. Black Murray Greys??????? Hope that one of you bend-the-rules types that rationalize the good side of deception, can provide me your definition of the following words=

angus ????

grey ????

Hey now...Don't be getting in my crap about Black Murrey Greys. I simply posted what I knew about the breed. You were the main reason the last thread was locked if I remember right.

Answer the question that was asked or leave us all alone! Sorry about that Ktate, Vicki and Macon

The name of the game is being able to provide what the market calls for. The black Murray Grey is one way to provide the superior carcass traits, gentle disposition, and other positive attributes of the breed to those who are fixated on a black hide. I know of those who do not particularly care what the breed is as long as they are black! I know,it doesn't make sense to me either, it's like the thing between the black and red angus, probably not a whit's worth of difference when you take the hide off,but a lot of people prefer the black over the red. :cboy:

Since Murray Greys were developed from a cross of Angus on a certain roan Shorthorn I don't find black animals deceptive.

John S.":3k1le146 said:
Appears that Angus don't own deception by themselves. Black Murray Greys??????? Hope that one of you bend-the-rules types that rationalize the good side of deception, can provide me your definition of the following words=

angus ????

grey ????

Wonder where the Black Came from in the Murray Greys????????

HISTORY of the MURRAY GREY BREED of CATTLE

The Murray Grey breed of cattle began in Australia along the Murray River in New South Wales. In 1905, on the property of Peter and Eva Sutherland a light roan shorthorn cow, when bred to various Aberdeen Angus bulls produced only grey calves. She had produced twelve of them by 1917, which were the origin of this breed. The herd was sold to Helen Sutherland in 1929, who started a systematic breeding program.

Mervyn Gadd started a second Murray Grey herd in the early 1940s as a commercial venture, using a Grey bull from the Sutherlands and breeding up from Angus cows. Butchers began to pay a premium price for the Greys because of their consistent high cutability and less waste. Murray Greys began to win carcass competitions in the early 70's and have continued to dominate the steer and carcass classes at the Royal shows in Australia. Murray Greys are one of the two preferred breeds for importation to Japan, due to their easy fleshing and high quality meat production. The Murrays have also started to win carcass competitions at the Calgary Stampede in Canada.

Color: The hair color ranges from very light silver to chocolate or dun grey; some animals are even black but the majority are silver to a silvery-khaki color. Their skin has a dark pigmentation, which helps prevent cancer eye.

Any breed that allows breeding up from none pure stock can change the color or just about any other characteristic. In most of those breeds by the time you've gone back to the base breed for 5 or 6 generations about the only thing you have from the outcross or other breed are the characteristics that are selected for. You could put black or even maybe sots on a breed that doesn't have those traits. Breeding up MGs from a black Angus base and eventually you could end up with blacks that are registered, just like black Herefords and black Charolais.

dun

la4angus":24j3any2 said:
Wonder where the Black Came from in the Murray Greys????????

HISTORY of the MURRAY GREY BREED of CATTLE

The Murray Grey breed of cattle began in Australia along the Murray River in New South Wales. In 1905, on the property of Peter and Eva Sutherland a light roan shorthorn cow, when bred to various Aberdeen Angus bulls produced only grey calves. She had produced twelve of them by 1917, which were the origin of this breed. The herd was sold to Helen Sutherland in 1929, who started a systematic breeding program.

Mervyn Gadd started a second Murray Grey herd in the early 1940s as a commercial venture, using a Grey bull from the Sutherlands and breeding up from Angus cows. Butchers began to pay a premium price for the Greys because of their consistent high cutability and less waste. Murray Greys began to win carcass competitions in the early 70's and have continued to dominate the steer and carcass classes at the Royal shows in Australia. Murray Greys are one of the two preferred breeds for importation to Japan, due to their easy fleshing and high quality meat production. The Murrays have also started to win carcass competitions at the Calgary Stampede in Canada.

Color: The hair color ranges from very light silver to chocolate or dun grey; some animals are even black but the majority are silver to a silvery-khaki color. Their skin has a dark pigmentation, which helps prevent cancer eye.

I would like to thank you all for the insite on this. What had prompted my question is that while checking out this breed all I saw was light dun to dark brown and not one single gray animal. I was seeing if I could really find silver to gray animals. Are they just a rare occurance?

KTATE":3ncar9av said:
I would like to thank you all for the insite on this. What had prompted my question is that while checking out this breed all I saw was light dun to dark brown and not one single gray animal. I was seeing if I could really find silver to gray animals. Are they just a rare occurance?

Ktate,
Many of the calves that are born will be born a battleship grey color,and then as they get older they may turn white, or a silver-khaki color.I have not seen any that stay the grey color,though there may be some. the silver -khaki color is probably the most popular.

3a4eeb71.jpg
[/img]

Murray Grey":2d78m31e said:
dun":2d78m31e said:
Oh, Charolais

dun

No Dun, No charolais here,just Murray Grey

I just couldn't resist. After all, if they're black they're Angus so if they're white/grey the must be Charolais

dun