Murray Grey Semen

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi

Reaction score
Ok, I want to go with Murray Grey on my bunch of heifers this summer. My husband has agreed to my selection of breed after I have been showing him their benefits.

I don't want a bull, I want to AI.

I will not have a clean-up bull either. If they don't settle after the 2nd attempt the will go to our finish lot.

I will have between 15 to 20 heifers. These heifers are Angus/Gelbveih of varying %'s, both red and black, and a couple smokey's.

Don't hate me for the next statement. But, I would like a Black Murray Grey for the AI. Believe me, I hate the fact the color can make a difference in price, but the fact of the matter is it can and does. If I go with the Black MG, I may have a better chance of getting the "black" calves.

OKJeanne, Springer Farms, Msscamp.... any help would be appreciated, although I know purebred breeders hate the "black", I would appreciate any help.

BTW, low birthweight, as all but 2 will be 1st timers.

Thanks for any help! Michele

Mitchwi, I have a black bull that is two years old.I know of breeders that have semen available, but not from a black bull...sorry.Check with the mgia website, they may be able to help you,there is a link form my website, springerfarms.com.Black Murray Greys are probably few and far between.You might get the same or similar chance for black from a dun (brown) murray grey.The color is always a crap shoot, you can get the silver from two browns.Good choice by the way! ;-) :cboy:

mitchwi":1txi3hrc said:
Don't hate me for the next statement. But, I would like a Black Murray Grey for the AI. Believe me, I hate the fact the color can make a difference in price, but the fact of the matter is it can and does. If I go with the Black MG, I may have a better chance of getting the "black" calves.

OKJeanne, Springer Farms, Msscamp.... any help would be appreciated, although I know purebred breeders hate the "black", I would appreciate any help.

BTW, low birthweight, as all but 2 will be 1st timers.

Thanks for any help! Michele

Michele, I can tell you that a black Murray Grey bull will throw predominately black calves - not 100% - around 75% if our herd is any indication (last herdbull was black). As far as blood lines go, I can't help you as we have been out of the AI circle for quite a number of years. I completely understand your comments on black calves selling better and I hate it, too, but the fact of the matter is black calves do sell better and the only way one can stay in this business is if they turn a profit. I wish you the absolute best! :)

Mitchwi,
I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but if you have your heart set on black calves I'm wondering why you don't just go with a calving ease black angus? You're alot more likely to get the black calves you're looking for, plus I'm thinking you won't have any problem finding all the semen you need.

mgman":2vrchsog said:
Mitchwi,
I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but if you have your heart set on black calves I'm wondering why you don't just go with a calving ease black angus? You're alot more likely to get the black calves you're looking for, plus I'm thinking you won't have any problem finding all the semen you need.

Hey MGMan! I haven't seen you on for a long time! Now if I could find a Lex in Black, I would buy him in a heartbeat! I know what you are saying with the options available. But I have to say the more I learn about the MG's the more I think they would benefit my operation. Will I be upset if the calves aren't all black, of course not. I think the MG breed has a lot to offer. Not to say that Angus doesn't of course.

We are selling semen---but not from a black bull....a
silver one:

2404Jumbo.jpg

Here's a link to his webpage which shows some of his
offspring and calf size,etc:

http://www.murraygrey.com/semenforsale.html

I looked at the picture of Grey Kringle, a black MG
bull on another thread---but I could not tell a thing
about his muscle pattern/conformation, etc because
of the way the photo was taken...but he's black for
sure.
If you are going to haul weaned calves to the sale barn,
you probably should go black. If you are going to produce
and sell beef, you should be using bulls that have been
DNA tested for the tenderness genes...all IMO of course!!

OK Jeanne":1lr6na8s said:
If you are going to haul weaned calves to the sale barn,
you probably should go black. If you are going to produce
and sell beef, you should be using bulls that have been
DNA tested for the tenderness genes...all IMO of course!!

I love your bull Jeanne :D I guess that is where the problem lies.... I do feed out a lot of my own, and some go to the sale. Just depends.... I understand purebreed breeders outside of Angus and the whole "black" issues. I am sympathetic to the problems/arguments/etc/etc/etc. But I am commercial only.... and I am in the business to make money. As far as that goes, it is in my best interest to go the way of the market. Perhaps, with the MG, I will be 1 step ahead by incorporating their propentency for the "tenderness" quality. But at the same time trying to keep "black" in the ball game. Again, if I feed them out, hide doesn't matter. But if the auction is where they are going, then so be it. Besides raising beef, I raise crops and the crop prices/cattle prices/ cattle weights/time of year, etc etc all make a difference and impact on my decisions. I will get slammed with smokeys, bottom line. Thanks for the info and comments Jeanne!

Mitchwi,
Lex is going to be delivered up your way in a couple weeks (Independence, WI)...he's developing into a really nice bull.

I'm certain you will be happy with MG calves..regardless of their color!!

Something to think about...I sell all of my feeder calves privately right off the farm-haven't had any problem finding buyers who are willing to pay market price. Just another option to consider.

mgman":usul1rdm said:
Mitchwi,
Lex is going to be delivered up your way in a couple weeks (Independence, WI)...he's developing into a really nice bull.

I'm certain you will be happy with MG calves..regardless of their color!!

Something to think about...I sell all of my feeder calves privately right off the farm-haven't had any problem finding buyers who are willing to pay market price. Just another option to consider.

Did you sell him? Or just lease? PM with the farmer if you don't think he'd mind....I might have to send my husband down to see him in person... :D