Murray Grey Herd Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
This is a bull that we are planning to use quite heavily over the next few breeding seasons. He is a rising 6 year old that is a son of Monterey Marshall, an Australian Murray Grey bull that is continuing to impress us. We sold this bull, BB Backbone's General, as a yearling back in 2016, but decided to buy him back in the fall of 2018. We bred him to a dozen heifers that first fall, and he has bred about half of our cow herd for the last two summers. His dam was born in 2008, and is due to calve again in the next two to three months. General has improved the marbling of our calves and has added a bit more frame to some of our females, something that we were needing. I am really looking forward to getting his daughters in production, as he has been crossing really well with our Tony sired females. He was posing well for me in the pasture the other day, so I thought I would share.

BB Backbone's General (5.5 years).jpg

His sire: Monterey Marshall
Monterey Marshall.jpg

His dam: WR Ruby (pictured here at 4 1/2 years)
WR Ruby (4.5 years).jpg

That is a fine looking bull! The cow is quite good, as well. I'd never heard of Murray Grey until I started perusing this forum, but I always enjoy seeing your cattle.

Very nice. Could see why he turned out so nice. Lucky to get him back. Sire doesn't look like I would like to meet him in a dark pasture. Dam is beautiful! Gotta love when things work out.

Great looking sire BB. Proof that the old genetics can still be worth a look. I look forward to seeing his progeny. I saw a photo of him on another breeders facebook page too!

It's good to see a masculine bull, to many bulls sold today look like steers and not bulls. Nothing wrong with the cow either.

Nice looking calf! That is the first AI sired calf out of General to hit the ground! He has sired 100% silver calves with us so far, but he was the clean-up bull for a few of our darker females last year, so we will see if we get any greys.

Latest posts