Murray Grey Cows and Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Those cattle certainly make a fellow want to get away from black cattle. Only problem is that there are so very few of them down in this area. Great pics BBR

As someone involved with the creation of the intl mg assoc, it happened due to stubbornness and inability of the ruling western Canadian breeders to listen to the eastern ones. The breeders in the USA that joined were at least as unhappy with their American association.

Vicky, us westerners are just getting even with you for having Ottawa in your half of the country (just kidding)

We've had similar issues with Organic certification associations, so we know how internal conflicts wreak havoc on the ultimate goals.

I agree they are very nice cattle, I like their build and the size is about right for me ,but with my red herd now I could only use them as a terminal cross, and I don't know how that would look and go over in the market. I would think that Char/speckle park/white park cattle would all be very good matches for crossing them to as you'd avoid getting too funky colors.

I've complemented BBR on their stock before.They are by far, some of the nicest cattle shown on here.
Vicky & Jeanne, it's great to see you both posting again.

fitz

Nesikep":vzatg557 said:
Vicky, us westerners are just getting even with you for having Ottawa in your half of the country (just kidding)

We've had similar issues with Organic certification associations, so we know how internal conflicts wreak havoc on the ultimate goals.

I agree they are very nice cattle, I like their build and the size is about right for me ,but with my red herd now I could only use them as a terminal cross, and I don't know how that would look and go over in the market. I would think that Char/speckle park/white park cattle would all be very good matches for crossing them to as you'd avoid getting too funky colors.

Nesi,

A 3-4 frame cow is the right size for you now? Good to hear :)

fitz":22r6ms6h said:
Vicky & Jeanne, it's great to see you both posting again.

fitz

:nod: :nod: :nod: Indeed it is! How fortunate, msscamp and now these two! :D Nice to see you!! :D

Where I used to work, they "experimented" one year and crossed one group of cows (black Angus) with Murray Grey. The resulting calves were gorgeous! Grew fast, docile and just looked great. They had to do a little searching to find the semen that they wanted. I think that experiment worked far better than the group they crossed with Marchigiana. The only thing thet "boss" didn't like about the MG cross was that they all weren't black :roll: .

SpringerFarms used to post here all the time, he had Murray Greys, I think Wisteria Farm also has them.

I don't know if there are any here in Va.

Vicky the vet":1iose1l6 said:
As someone involved with the creation of the intl mg assoc, it happened due to stubbornness and inability of the ruling western Canadian breeders to listen to the eastern ones. The breeders in the USA that joined were at least as unhappy with their American association.

They pretty much still are.
Makes MGs a pretty well kept secret.
I can think of 6 CT members that raise MGs. Couple more that I haven't heard from in a while. A couple overseas.

Allforage, any cow that looks like that is the right size... I'm not as serious about small frames as you, but I certainly am trying to cut down on the giants I have... I have a very pretty little heifer that you might approve of though :)

Here are a few of our Murray Grey heifers.
This heifer is 75% Murray Grey and 25% Angus. She had a birth weight of 76 lbs. Although she was born later than most of our calves, she was weaned at 584 lbs. I am really looking forward to seeing what she may produce in the coming years. She had perfect tenderness results when we tested her with Igenity.
IMG_2061_zps10589bed.jpg

This heifer is pictured at 6 1/2 months old and she is a purebred Murray Grey. She too was born at 76 lbs. We will keep her as a replacement for our herd.
IMG_2048_zps7660fe70.jpg

I appreciate all of the feedback that has been given. We plan to wean our calves in about 6 more weeks. Pictured below are a few of our 7 month old bull calves. They all have the same sire.
IMG_2116_zps98454762.jpg

The bull calf above was 82 lbs at birth. He is out of our largest cow, and he is our heaviest calf. I think that he is close to 600 lbs right now.

IMG_2170_zpsd01a855b.jpg

The cow pictured above is 11 1/2 years old, and her bull calf is standing next to her. He was only 62 lbs at birth, but he has grown out pretty well in our opinion.

IMG_2161_zps0c2f3f32.jpg

This bull calf is 6 1/2 months old, and his dam is 9 years old. She is about a frame score 3. The calf had a birth weight of 80 lbs, and I think that he will wean heavier than his full brother who was weaned at 608 lbs last year.

These are beautiful cows and calves. I really like the Murray Grey's. I am going to look for some at the Expo next week, if I am able to go. Thanks for sharing those great pictures.

Latest posts