Murray Grey Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
It has been a while since I have posted on here. It has been dry, but we have been fortunate that the cows have stayed in such great shape. We have retained the majority of our heifers from the last few calf crops and are finally reaching our carrying capacity after raising Murray Greys for the last 10 years. The calves are still about a month out from weaning, but this set is one of the best that we have raised to date.

205 Bull- Born February 17th at 76 lbs. AI sired by Victory Power Play and out of BB Goldie
205 Bull (7.5 months)(1).jpg205 Bull (8 months)(1).jpg

206 Heifer- Born February 20 at 72 lbs. She is the 4th consecutive heifer that we have had out of the New Zealand sire, Ballee Thumbs Up. So far, he has added muscle to the back end of his daughters and added darker pigmentation, all while keeping the depth of body that we strive to maintain.
206 Heifer (8 months).jpg

209 Bull- A March 3 calf, pictured here at 7 months. He was 78 lbs at birth and sired by BB Backbone's General. His dam has had mostly bull calves for us over the years, and they are routinely amongst the top two bull prospects every year. His dam is a direct daughter of Michaelong Grasshopper, a bull that was born and bred by the founding family of the Murray Grey breed.
209 Bull (7 months)(1).jpg

214 Heifer- A 7 month old daughter of BB Backbone's General. She has been a chunk since the day she was born, and I am really excited to see what she grows into.
214 Heifer (6.5 months).jpg

This pair reflects much of the breeding that our herd has been built off of. The cow is a 5 1/2 year old BB Uncle Tony daughter and her 6 1/2 month old calf is sired by General. Tony was our go-to sire for 7 years, and today, over half of our herd can be traced back to him. This is a cross that we have been having tremendous success with, on both the bull and female side of things.
218 Heifer (6.5 months).jpg

This last calf is a 7/8th Murray Grey x 1/8th Angus son of BB Backbone's General. He will be one of the heaviest calves that we end up weaning. His maternal half sister is the 722 cow in the pair pictured above.
219 Bull (7 months).jpg

It has been a while since I have posted on here. It has been dry, but we have been fortunate that the cows have stayed in such great shape. We have retained the majority of our heifers from the last few calf crops and are finally reaching our carrying capacity after raising Murray Greys for the last 10 years. The calves are still about a month out from weaning, but this set is one of the best that we have raised to date.

205 Bull- Born February 17th at 76 lbs. AI sired by Victory Power Play and out of BB Goldie
View attachment 22455View attachment 22456

206 Heifer- Born February 20 at 72 lbs. She is the 4th consecutive heifer that we have had out of the New Zealand sire, Ballee Thumbs Up. So far, he has added muscle to the back end of his daughters and added darker pigmentation, all while keeping the depth of body that we strive to maintain.
View attachment 22457

209 Bull- A March 3 calf, pictured here at 7 months. He was 78 lbs at birth and sired by BB Backbone's General. His dam has had mostly bull calves for us over the years, and they are routinely amongst the top two bull prospects every year. His dam is a direct daughter of Michaelong Grasshopper, a bull that was born and bred by the founding family of the Murray Grey breed.
View attachment 22458

214 Heifer- A 7 month old daughter of BB Backbone's General. She has been a chunk since the day she was born, and I am really excited to see what she grows into.
View attachment 22459

This pair reflects much of the breeding that our herd has been built off of. The cow is a 5 1/2 year old BB Uncle Tony daughter and her 6 1/2 month old calf is sired by General. Tony was our go-to sire for 7 years, and today, over half of our herd can be traced back to him. This is a cross that we have been having tremendous success with, on both the bull and female side of things.
View attachment 22460

This last calf is a 7/8th Murray Grey x 1/8th Angus son of BB Backbone's General. He will be one of the heaviest calves that we end up weaning. His maternal half sister is the 722 cow in the pair pictured above.
View attachment 22461
Good quality cattle.

I love your cattle, @Backbone Ranch

Would love to get a Murray bull when I grow up. Wish there was someone nearby that had some with similar quality as yours.

I think they're the perfect beef breed right now. And would go great on my Sim/Limo/Angus cows.

They do look great for sure. I think I have asked but can't remember, what sort of weaning weights are these calves achieving (205 adj or so) Hard to get perspective from the photos. They look like 800 pounders in the pics.
Our bulls/steer calves usually average between 550 and 575 lbs. The heifers are about 50 lbs less. We have achieved the phenotype that we desire and that does well in our area. We are working at breeding a little more performance into them. Some of these calves, the 205 bull, for instance, are part of the first generation of this endeavor.

Latest posts