Murray Grey calves; good enough for show?

Help Support CattleToday:

clubbiebreeder

Reaction score
So I have some Murray grey calves and I want to see what you guys think, would they be okay to take for fair, the brown heifer was born mid March and the white steer was born mid February
This was taken June 1st
2D204CB0-835A-4E6E-A38A-E43FD355E90B.jpeg
This was taken may 29th 2021
BFB5EBDD-23FE-4771-AA1B-BBD929DCFC3F.jpeg
This is of the heifer from a few days ago I have no recent of the steer
A3240A3C-7F1B-4388-9FF0-264CEA7F2DE4.jpeg

@clubbiebreeder what are you looking to show them in? Market for the steer and breeding for the heifer? It would be very challenging to compete here (in Oregon) with the murray heifer in a AOB show since she is finer made. If there are enough MGs to have a breed class she might do ok.

Here are three pictures of one PB MG Feb steer my son is going to take for a market steer. He will not have hair but he is sound, heavy boned, has good depth, rib shape, and width. Hard to tell from your pictures if the steer has those things or not. He is also dog gentle which was important for my son for his first year.

Attachments

• IMG_4657.jpg
    IMG_4657.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4661.jpg
    IMG_4661.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4663.jpg
    IMG_4663.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 3
I'm far from an expert. But they look like good lil calves to me
Thank you!
@clubbiebreeder what are you looking to show them in? Market for the steer and breeding for the heifer? It would be very challenging to compete here (in Oregon) with the murray heifer in a AOB show since she is finer made. If there are enough MGs to have a breed class she might do ok.

Here are three pictures of one PB MG Feb steer my son is going to take for a market steer. He will not have hair but he is sound, heavy boned, has good depth, rib shape, and width. Hard to tell from your pictures if the steer has those things or not. He is also dog gentle which was important for my son for his first year.

The people I bought their moms from said that their sire tends to have straggly looking calves until they're a little older then they start muscling up, the steer would be taken in market for selling and maybe a few Jackpots if they come up near me (I'm not one to travel super far just for a jackpot, I've only been to one with my steer) and the heifer would be taken as a breeding project and I would not sell her, I would just take her to get a name for her so her calves sell better in the future, and also the steers picture was taken in May and I haven't really seen him much, but if I get a picture of him soon I'll show you it, and when you said your steer was super gentle, so are mine, it's the breed that they are, I love Murray greys

Latest posts