Help Support CattleToday:

OK Jeanne

Reaction score
We have just weaned this bull calf:

773-1.jpg

He was born on 3/29/10 at 73 lbs; weaned at 7 months on 10/29/10 at
674 lbs; sired by OK Seth and dam OK Bonnie. Since he gained so well
we probably will not castrate this one to use for beef. He does have a
nice hindquarter but this angle of the photo doesn't show it very well. His other photo
is at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53686921@N08/

I personally prefer the silver color, but we do have a few chocolate ones.

I've always liked your cattle - and the breed - at least what yours do for it. Like all the other pics too. Keep em coming.

angus9259":2hi6gm0b said:
I've always liked your cattle - and the breed - at least what yours do for it. Like all the other pics too. Keep em coming.

Thanks angus 9259!
I took a couple more before the rain moved in today:

771112_2.jpg

DSCN0269.jpg

So do you like him better than the tag #79 bull in your other pics? This bull looks better on the new pics. I really like the females though. They almost seem good enough you don't even need to find the right camera angle to make them look good. Of the females in your photos - which do you like the best? Would you consider your cattle heavy boned?

from the photos I like the W6 and W1 bred heifers the best. probably the 40 heifer calf the least. the rest of those spring heifers look pretty even. were they weaned in those photos?

angus9259":l5jfxalf said:
from the photos I like the W6 and W1 bred heifers the best. probably the 40 heifer calf the least. the rest of those spring heifers look pretty even. were they weaned in those photos?

We weaned on Oct 29th and most of those photos were taken Nov 5th. I also think the weaned
heifers are practically equal in quality. If I had to pick just one to keep, it would probably be
#42, sire OK Ben (in the group photo) and dam OK Angie, who is a very good milker & beefy
shape.

#79 bull calf is out of one of my favorite cows, OK Sadie. Her photo, taken when she was
about 2 months before her first calf:

OKSadie.jpg

#79 was the last calf born this past spring at the end of April, but he weighed 568 at
weaning at 6 months old, so that's not bad. Our sping rains were pretty good, and the
grass was good through about the end of July---then everything dried up for awhile.
Here's today's pic of #79:

7911121.jpg

I don't think our herd is what you would call "large boned" What do you think, judging from the photos?

Nice to see some MG's again!
Some great photos of your stock too, as usual and nice line up of weaners.

Just trying to match up weight for age to ours! We have just finished calving for the year, Down Under, and hoping the grass will get away on us soon!
After a very wet winter (July/August /September) we have had a dry October and the ground has turned to concrete. Our Murray Greys have had 106% calving percentage! Thirty five calves from 33 cows and all alive and feeding off their mothers without intervention. All grass and hay fed-no supplements or crop!

Nice cattle and BIG calves regardless of what some think on other boards. Good job with your cattle.

I agree on your spring heifer pick - though, as you say, they're pretty close.

When I say "large boned" I should say "right boned" - I like them. Too many smaller boned cattle out there. They're not framey but solid.

Is they herdsire in your pics out of your stock too? How much do you AI?

angus9259":2gxbs6io said:
Is they herdsire in your pics out of your stock too? How much do you AI?

Yes, we did raise that herdsire, and used him, a half-brother and another bull this past breeding
season. He (Ben) is out of OK Bonnie, the same dam as the #77 bull calf above. The #77 is her third
calf...all bulls so far. This year we bred her to OK Boomer and hope to get a heifer from her
next spring. His photo is:

Boomer3.jpg

Hello to Sweden! We are fortunate to be in a climate where it is possible to have winter
grazing on wheat, rye, or oats. We graze it from about mid-October (assuming we get the
fall rains on time) until about the first of March---then let it grow on up to be put into hay.

OK Jeanne":8mm38zjr said:

773-1.jpg

674 lbs; sired by OK Seth and dam OK Bonnie.

:shock: JH Christ, I didn't know that kind of weight gain was even possible. That's really impressive.

whitewing":woc9u2kb said:
OK Jeanne":woc9u2kb said:

773-1.jpg

674 lbs; sired by OK Seth and dam OK Bonnie.

:shock: JH Christ, I didn't know that kind of weight gain was even possible. That's really impressive.
Thanks Whitewing & Chuckie. This bull was shipped to Nebraska on Monday and will be working
there next spring. I took a couple of better photos of him for my files:

771112_2.jpg

DSCN0269.jpg

OK Jeanne":3l5yrqes said:

773-1.jpg

674 lbs; sired by OK Seth and dam OK Bonnie. Since he gained so well
we probably will not castrate this one to use for beef. He does have a
nice hindquarter but this angle of the photo doesn't show it very well. His other photo
is at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53686921@N08/

I personally prefer the silver color, but we do have a few chocolate ones.
Wow! Nice! He sure looks heavier than 674#!

Latest posts