Murray grey Birth Weights

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My son and I have this dispute over birth weights of the Murray Grey as opposed to Brangus birth weights. Any inputs on calving problems?

Ok, I've calved out a lot of animals, no brangus to be honest (but I have done a buffalo....)and I've worked with a couple of murray grey breeders. In my experience, they calve out easier than just about any other breed of cattle ON AVERAGE. I've heard of 100+ lb birthweights, but I've seen 180lb+ calves in other breeds. Average would be about 65-70lbs for heifer calves, 70-75lbs for bull calves. There are malpositionings as with any breed, I've seen one set of twins which were calved out unassisted. The shoulders are sloped just right for calving, the calves tend to slip right out. A friend in Texas who breeds MG's feels they're up faster and nursing than anything else they've raised (including many brahma type crosses)

I'd recommend you contact a murray grey breeder. I'm sure there are many on this list...if not, ask and I'll connect you with some websites.

Good Luck with your quest! V

> Ok, I've calved out a lot of
> animals, no brangus to be honest
> (but I have done a buffalo....)and
> I've worked with a couple of
> murray grey breeders. In my
> experience, they calve out easier
> than just about any other breed of
> cattle ON AVERAGE. I've heard of
> 100+ lb birthweights, but I've
> seen 180lb+ calves in other
> breeds. Average would be about
> 65-70lbs for heifer calves,
> 70-75lbs for bull calves. There
> are malpositionings as with any
> breed, I've seen one set of twins
> which were calved out unassisted.
> The shoulders are sloped just
> right for calving, the calves tend
> to slip right out. A friend in
> Texas who breeds MG's feels
> they're up faster and nursing than
> anything else they've raised
> (including many brahma type
> crosses)

> I'd recommend you contact a murray
> grey breeder. I'm sure there are
> many on this list...if not, ask
> and I'll connect you with some
> websites.

> Good Luck with your quest! V

I have a lot of experience with Reg. Brangus,(3/8 B and 5/8 A)and they also deliver a light calf, bulls 75 - 85 lbs and heifers 65-75 lbs. Both the parent breeds have small calves that grow fast after birth. The largest birth weight I experienced in 20 years of breeding Brangus was 100 lbs one time. EPD's will help you determine a bulls potential birth weight for their calves. The hybrid vigor one can obtain when useing a Brangus bull on English breeds is great and the calves will be hardy,long producing, black and polled.

[email protected]

The best thing that I liked about vickie the vet is that she knows what a sloping shoulder is and that not all cattle have them....

Yes Murray Grey are great calvers. liitle calves,good vealers,cross well with Angus,Herefords and Brahman. they will maintain these good birthweights provided no outside influence is introduced. There is a suspicion that Charolais have been used in some herds here in Australia.
Murray Greys are the top steer winners here in Australia,either as purebred or crossed with some thing else.

Keep up the good work MG breeders
Colin

Latest posts