Multiple calf nursing tank

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I saw on you tube where some people mixed about 15 gallons of milk and put it in something like a stock tank with nipples on them and the calves nursed themselves when they were ready. Is this something that can be purchased or is it something they made for themselves?

I didn't see the right one i don't think. but i can think of a way to make something like what you are talking about and it would be easier. I have all my calves in seperate pens so not anything that i can use.

I didn;t look at the video but gang feeders used to be pretty common. One was was called Calf-iteria and had a heater in it so the stuff stayed at he correct temp.

denvermartinfarms":27umpisz said:
I didn't see the right one i don't think. but i can think of a way to make something like what you are talking about and it would be easier. I have all my calves in seperate pens so not anything that i can use.

was galvanized and hanging on fence

dun":3to9mti4 said:
I didn;t look at the video but gang feeders used to be pretty common. One was was called Calf-iteria and had a heater in it so the stuff stayed at he correct temp.

are they still manufactured?

skyhightree1":29fno7ut said:
dun":29fno7ut said:

Don;t know, haven;t seen one in 40 years. I think they came from Australia or New Zealand

I do think some of the computerized systems are interesting. The computer should stop calves from over eating and report the ones that don't eat. I do wonder if the aggressive calves won't stand in the feeding station sucking on the nipple and keeping the less aggressive calves out.

As far as dumping the milk in one container that might work if you can sort the calves by how fast they drink. I think there is one made called milk bar that has compartments in it, that would help. It don't take but second for that boss calf to knock a smaller one off and steal his milk. That bigger one will really grow, but it's a death sentence for the small one.

Larry

Yes, they still make the heated ones. Expensive though!

Larry, I'm using the milkbar feeders for group feeding, one with compartments & two without. The compartments seemed like a good idea because provided the calves don't bunt each other off they each hold about 2 - 2.5 litres so you know for certain that the calf has had that much even if they're a slow drinker. In practice - they bunt each other off and shove around and the compartment feeder is more of a nuisance than otherwise (because milk is left in one or two of the compartments when all the others and the two other feeders are all finished - I can feed around 30 calves in a group with the three feeders). I'll pick it up to go and feed young calves sometimes if there's one or two I want to watch.
My calves are grouped on age and I've never seen cause to worry about slow drinkers - last year I pulled one out and fed her in a pen on her own and that's the only time I've ever done that in 14 years of raising calves. I don't wean till they reach an appropriate weight, so a slower growing calf may be given an extra week or two after the bigger ones the same age have been weaned.

dun":rmvaaru4 said:
skyhightree1":rmvaaru4 said:
dun":rmvaaru4 said:

Don;t know, haven;t seen one in 40 years. I think they came from Australia or New Zealand

google 'automatic calf feeders' brought up a few different ones. http://www.lely.com/en/feeding/calf-fee ... work_3#tab can try google.co.nz if your regular one doesn't oblige.

Latest posts