Multiple Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Is it common practice to commingle multiple bulls at the same time in a herd?

Or is that asking for trouble?

If the herd is larger than about 25 cows (that's an average; I know some people will claim their bull will settle 40 cows in 30 days) then you need more than one. I've heard one theory that says if one isn't enough then use three, so one can take care of business while the other two are fighting.

I sometimes split a larger group for the first cycle, and then combine them once that first round is settled. Always different age bulls though. Gives the young one some practice on his own, lightens the load on the older bull, and then combines the herd so its not a hassle splitting pasture all summer. Other bulls are on their own out at different locations, and then they all get thrown back in together in the fall. Once the bigger group is combined, that free's up a bull should I need him elsewhere.

In a perfect world, you should have 1 bull with smaller groups. Pros: bulls aren't battling over a cow which can create many injuries, some times permanent. And, you know who sired each calf, so you know which bulls are doing your best job. Cons: Management of pastures. If 1 bulls turns out to be a "dud", you might not know quick enough.
1 bull can handle quite a few cows, but you can increase 1 bulls ability by AI breeding for 1 cycle, then turn him out.

I don't buy into a smaller bull being "backup" for a bigger bull.. if the bigger bull is shooting duds and keeps the smaller bull away, you're no better off than if he wasn't there at all.
I split mine into 2 smaller herd, also because it helps with pasture management... after 30 days or so I might put them back together if it's convenient.. This year they're both getting shipped out and a new bull comes in

HDRider":u03665t0 said:

Depends on cow numbers, bull age, and how big/rough your pastures are.
Bulls are like teenagers and horses, decrease behavior problems by increasing the workload (within reason).

skeeter swatter":1uqnnmck said:
HDRider":1uqnnmck said:

Depends on cow numbers, bull age, and how big/rough your pastures are.
Bulls are like teenagers and horses, decrease behavior problems by increasing the workload (within reason).

Thats a good analogy. :)

It all comes down to cows/ bull. If you have 100 cows and turn out 5 bulls because you want a really tight calving season logic says you will increase the odds of an injury do to fighting over cows. If you turn out 3 bulls with 100 cows the odds are less. There should be plenty of ladies to go around. In theory... :)

... and yes. One mature bull can cover 30-40 cows easily unless you have some odd ball situation.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":320zv62d said:
In a perfect world, you should have 1 bull with smaller groups. Pros: bulls aren't battling over a cow which can create many injuries, some times permanent. And, you know who sired each calf, so you know which bulls are doing your best job. Cons: Management of pastures. If 1 bulls turns out to be a "dud", you might not know quick enough.
1 bull can handle quite a few cows, but you can increase 1 bulls ability by AI breeding for 1 cycle, then turn him out.

One can reasonably have a single bull breed 500 cows in a single 45 day window, as follows.

Day -30 ... collect the bull
Day -3 ... pull CIDRs
Day 0 ... AI 500 cows and reapply heat detection patches
Days 15-23 ... AI cows on natural heats, and once the cow gets the second AI, turn them in with the bull

350 cows take to the first AI
105 cows tale to the second AI
45 cows get a final shot with the bull

All failures missed on two AIs and a live cover and if they can't get bred with that, they need eating.

Pencil out the cost savings on bull facilities...

Right now I have groups of 5,2, and 2 bulls out on herds and then a group with just 1. I don't have problems with the bulls fighting unless they are all in pens with the cows. Just helped a guy work a herd this weekend and we gathered 14 bulls with the cows.

Nesikep":28i4za22 said:
I don't buy into a smaller bull being "backup" for a bigger bull.. if the bigger bull is shooting duds and keeps the smaller bull away, you're no better off than if he wasn't there at all.

Usually once the bigger bull has determined he's serviced her proper he moves on, and the young bull will get his turn. They don't have time to trail just one cow from start to finish when there's a bunch of other's to keep tabs on. Got a lot better chance of the young bull cleaning stuff up when the big guy cant be every where at once.

Supa Dexta":15fmxwp8 said:
Nesikep":15fmxwp8 said:

Usually once the bigger bull has determined he's serviced her proper he moves on, and the young bull will get his turn. They don't have time to trail just one cow from start to finish when there's a bunch of other's to keep tabs on. Got a lot better chance of the young bull cleaning stuff up when the big guy cant be every where at once.
yes, the bigger the herd, the more likely it is to work.. I just find all the cows in heat congregate together and it's just one big confused orgy going on.

Latest posts