multiple bulls with herd?

Help Support CattleToday:

triple'S'

Reaction score
what do you think about running multiple bulls with a herd? I've always seperated cows into 30-40 cow herds and placed a bull with each, but it would be so much easier and I could rotate pastures better to run one herd. I would figure I would need to run 3 bulls, maybe 4 if they are younger. Will they establish a ranking and get along or will I have all my fences torn down by fighting. I know they do it on big ranches but my pastures are much smaller then theirs.

Running more than one testosterone engine (lol) in one female pasture is asking for a wreck to happen. Use your imagination...

Otherwise, if you don't care "who was your daddy?"...then...

;-)

I've seen up to 3 bulls run with a herd of dairy heifers with no problems... however bulls may be more prone to breeding injuries when in a multi-sire herd like that.

I personally don't like it, but am doing it, and you can only do it if you don't care to know the sire of the calf. But, as you said, a lot of people/ranches do it. It is a necessity in some instances. I am running a few commercial cows with my father-in-laws herd, and we have 2 bulls covering the cows. Brother has run 2 bulls with one of his groups of cows and hasn't had a problem with his bulls fighting.

To me, it woudld be important for the bulls to have the pecking order figured out before breeding season. That way they know their place, and aren't fighting while they should be breeding. Also helps limit the risk of injury while fighting, and creating an emergency bull replacement situation. My brother runs his bulls together all year, so they know the pecking order.

I have no experience with this. An older fella told me once, never use two bulls in the same group, however three works fine. 2 will fight and 1 will breed, now he becomes a fighter and the next breeder moves in???? Sounds hilarious to me, and maybe this guy was feeding me a story he thought would be interesting??

its best to sort the cows in 40hd groups an put a bull with them.an keep them in 3 groups.thus putting a stop to the fighting an rik of a bull being hurt.

Personallly we like to run 1 bull with X so many cows. But some years we have to put more than one bull in a pasture. If we do it we do it one of two ways
1. three bulls so there is an odd number, as well as bulls not the same age. Same age creates major hassels in the pecking order
2. a good difference in ages. Right now we have a 5yr old and a three year old. Other times it's been a 3-6 year old with a yearling. This usually works pretty good

Last year because of weather we kept all the bulls together and rotated the pasture. It worked well, no injuries. I think we had threee in there. The year before we put one bull in, then 4 weeks later pulled him and added the clean up bull who had not seen any girls yet. We did this cause the clean up bull was a fighter and we did not want any injuries. The clean up bull however is no more.

We have a few really big cow calf farms up here. The usually run several bulls with the herd. Some in upwards of 6 per herd. So it can be done. Other wise for 1100 cows they would have to have alot of little pastures.

We have run multiple bulls for years. We don't have much fighting after they sort out their issues. Can't say we ever lost a bull to injury because of fighting but we may have. Maybe 2 broke peckers and a bad leg over quite a while of time doing it this way.

We like to run two bulls on 60 or so cows. Three if we are planing on culling one in the near future.

triple'S'":3t0blei4 said:
what do you think about running multiple bulls with a herd?

We did it for years, but we usually put a younger bull with an older bull - easier to sort out the heirarchy(sp?) that way - nor do I recall any problems with running 2 bulls with the herd.

Always run 2 or more bulls in a heard. Have not had any problems in pastures when they are penned is when the problem starts. We run all the bull together when off the cows.

good point with the different ages.

I was going to buy 3-4 15 month bulls and keep them for two breeding seasons before I sell them. But, you have a point with the different ages. I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks

I'm running 2 now with my cows. One is 3 years old, the other is 18 months. There is no questions as to who is in charge between them.

When I first put them together, the old bull let the young one push him around for a few minutes. Then, old bull just dug in and pushed the young bull all the way across the pasture (100+ yards). Since then, there has not been another serious pushing contest.

It'll depend on the size of your paddocks. Large paddocks where the bulls have some space and you won't have as much grief. I use small paddocks and every single time I've put two or more bulls together, I've run into injured bulls. Got an injured 3 three year recovering right now because of fighting.

Rod

We keep 2 bulls on our herd year round. Never have had a problem. They will sort out their differences now and then, but all of our cows are bred. About 90% of them have their calves in Feb - March. The rest have them before May. Sometimes we do have the late calf, but that just means that you can make some money with a calf or two later on in the year.

We have been running 2 bulls year round without any trouble. We always buy them together so they're the same age. We never split them up. As far as the who's your daddy question, we but try to buy half brothers that are the same frame.

One at a time. Change 'em when he is spent. Big chance of injury.

I have posted before on this.... our experience. NOT GOOD.

We had 2 bulls in a pasture with about 70 cows. While one was mounting the other hit him in the left flank -rear area and sent him off the other side...landing on the top of a steel fence post. While it did not penetrate the abdomen it caught and ripped the skin severly from the right lower abdomen up the side of the rib cage. Not pretty. Sutures,antibiotics and much treatment was successful in getting him well. But, the bull was never the same and 2 years later we had no choice but to harvest him at the age of 5.

An additional experience here;

http://5barx.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2346

Latest posts