Multimin 90

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Was thinking of getting some Multimin 90 to give to newborns and then to cows before breeding. Anyone use this stuff? Like it/don't like it?

tncattle said:
Was thinking of getting some Multimin 90 to give to newborns and then to cows before breeding. Anyone use this stuff? Like it/don't like it?

I use BoSe and Vitamin A&D. I think the MultiMin would be easier and probably better. I'm interested to see the other responses. I would like to switch over. I use my current regimen bc I can get it locally. I really wish I had better access to a lot of cattle related products. Most are only an hour away but it's so much easier if they are right here in town where I go every day.

I been giving Multi-Min to newborns for a year or so.
Not sure how much it helps but it has not hurt any .

Mat Man said:
I been giving Multi-Min to newborns for a year or so.
Not sure how much it helps but it has not hurt any .

That's the way I feel about the BoSe and Vitamin A&D. I can tell you that I've only treated one calf for respiratory problems in the last 3 years. And with the wet, dry, and sometimes weekly 50 degree temp swings we experience here regularly I'm gonna say that's impressive. What I don't know is if it's the shots I'm giving at birth, or nutrition, or just luck. But I'm sure that it's not hurting anything. And it's cheap. I'm gonna try to stock up on MultiMin and make the switch.

I have a customer that I buy thin, mismanaged salebarn calves for that has started using MultiMin. H e claims he has treated less sickness since starting giving all new incoming cattle a dose.

We use multimin90 on our calves as soon as we can catch them ( 1-2 wks old). We also use it on our weaning calves and once a year on cows. Typically 30 days or so before we put bulls on. Can't speak to any hard data in our operation, but like others have said it's not hurting anything. Also we don't doctor many if any sick calves. It's an added expense per dose to your calves, but for us it's money well spent.

I have a bottle of it. Only use it on new animals coming onto the place and on animals that just look puny when they come through the chute. To me its like vitamins and wormer which I also give to the same animals. If they need it, its well worth the expense. If they don't. they will expel it. With new animals you don't know if they have ever had anything, so it should catch them up some.
I leave my newborns alone. If mama is healthy, the calve will most likely be healthy.

We use it on everything, calves, heifers, cows, and bulls.

Use it according to the instructions.

We give it to calves as soon as they are born, or when we get to the calf, which is usually a few hours after they are born.

I'm a firm believer that it works, the calves are up faster, nursing quicker, and seem like they have more energy.

As for cows and heifers, they get it 30 days prior to breeding season, same with the bulls.

Mat Man said:
$50.00 for 100ml
1 ml per 100#s
1 per 100 on calves
1per 150 up to 2years
1 per 200 over 2 years
I use it on all heifers and mature cows 30 days before breedin't, not on calves.
Not sure but I dont think it worms....

I don't use it and my calves are very thrifty and vigorous at birth. However, I think I will use it next fall before breeding. Fire Sweep raised her conception rate this fall by supplementing with Selenium. A biopsy of liver tissue performed by her vet showed low levels of selenium even though she uses vitaferm concept-aid mineral. Her AI and ET conceptions reflect significant improvement.

sstterry said:
Chocolate Cow2 said:
Why does it require a prescription?

I second this question. Why would you need a prescription for this if it is just a supplemental source of zinc, manganese, selenium and copper for cattle?
Guess - some of the named minerals can kill an animal in overdose. I've never used it and probably will not ever. I did look into it and did not find the data to be overwhelming to me. We feed a decent mineral with available forms of contents. If a cow needs more than that and forages or feed to do her job beyond that they she needs to be somewhere else. We have studied up on deficiencies and meet them in the mineral. So, not starving a profit but meeting the needs in moderation.

There is not a bovine on the planet that functions without a threshold level of organ/tissue Selenium. If it is not available in the forage/soil, then you have to supplement. Mineral should do that but apparently not always. I doubt seriously if I need it. My cows all breed back and my calves are thrifty.

The neighbor gives it to calves at birth and at weaning. Do to the far flung nature of the range cows they don't receive the loose minerals like pasture cattle do. I don't know how mineral short they are but it sure doean't hurt the cows. The rancher I helped in Central Washington last winter gave it to the newborns.

How much does everyone give newborns? 1 ml I assume?
I've started using it on cows and heifers this year, so we will see how it works for me

Bright Raven said:
I don't use it and my calves are very thrifty and vigorous at birth. However, I think I will use it next fall before breeding. Fire Sweep raised her conception rate this fall by supplementing with Selenium. A biopsy of liver tissue performed by her vet showed low levels of selenium even though she uses vitaferm concept-aid mineral. Her AI and ET conceptions reflect significant improvement.

Needs will vary with soil content and feeding plan and breed choice. Simi are needy.
Multimin has a lot study data in their brochures, but the condition of the controls is not crystal.
I don't think the Multimin minerals pass thru milk - - so there is potential for levels to decline in sucking calves.
Incoming cattle are a no brainer - - it takes too long to raise levels using oral intake.
Something is wrong if you are paying for a premium mineral mix, but still need to inject mineral into home raised cattle :???:

Latest posts