MultiMin 90

Help Support CattleToday:

We use Multimin twice a year. On cows and calves. Also the bulls. Plus put out free choice minerals. I leased a pasture to a guy. We put out minerals for his cattle and they demolished minerals within 24 hours 🤷🏼‍♀️ My cattle use them but aren't starved for them. The guy brought some special to the area made minerals and the cattle wouldn't touch it. Jmo 😊

The reason the red minerals are red is because they're adding iron oxide (rust) for coloring. A lot of mineral deficiencies will very by location. Selinium will also very by breed as continental breeds typically need more. Honestly, you really don't get what you pay for. All of it has a crazy mark up if you start doing the math.
Iron oxide is red and it's cheap. On cheaper brands of minerals almost all of the trace minerals are in the form of oxides which are cheap and very poorly absorbed. Chelated minerals have the best absorption rates and the highest price, followed by sulfate forms. I use Vita-Ferm on my cows, with Vigortone a distant second.

Iron oxide is red and it's cheap. On cheaper brands of minerals almost all of the trace minerals are in the form of oxides which are cheap and very poorly absorbed. Chelated minerals have the best absorption rates and the highest price, followed by sulfate forms. I use Vita-Ferm on my cows, with Vigortone a distant second.
I just mix my own free choice mineral, using chelates where I think I need them. I adjust Magnesium, potassium, and vitamins with pasture conditions, and adjust intake with yeast.

Sounds like a good program. Where do you buy your ingredients? Can you get them in smaller amounts?(5# or so). I think my area is marginal in copper and selenium, so I've been adding dry molasses to mineral to increase intake. It has worked as intended, but not the most economical way to do it.

Actually, proteinated minerals have the best absorption. Although they are a type of chelated mineral.
Sorry, you are right. I tend to think of chelated minerals as all proteinate (amino acid) chelates, but that is not always true

I think there's a lot more that we don't know about minerals than what we do know. Is monthly forage testing the only way to know the minerals we need to supplement for that month

Sounds like a good program. Where do you buy your ingredients? Can you get them in smaller amounts?(5# or so). I think my area is marginal in copper and selenium, so I've been adding dry molasses to mineral to increase intake. It has worked as intended, but not the most economical way to do it.

I get them at a Cargill warehouse, most of the minerals are available in 50lb bags. Some of the chelates will have multiple elements in a useful ratio. You do kind of want to know what you're doing, selenium is something you don't want to screw up the inclusion rate on.

Latest posts