Multiflora Rose

Help Support CattleToday:

MO VOL

Reaction score
Hello All- First time poster, long time lurker.

I have researched this on this board but most info I found was a bit dated. What is the best current herbicide to use on Multiflora Rose? I am in SW MO and the rose is in a fescue / clover mix pasture. Not worried necessarily about stunting the clover. Planning on frost seeding this particular pasture this winter. Any info is appreciated.

After years of mowing them down and cursing at them, I used remedy on mine and it knocked them out. I haven't even seen any try to come back from it this spring. Might be something better, but that is what I will use from now on.

bigbluegrass":2q0q7y8z said:
After years of mowing them down and cursing at them, I used remedy on mine and it knocked them out. I haven't even seen any try to come back from it this spring. Might be something better, but that is what I will use from now on.
Remedy and Grazon mixed is what I use. Almost any herbicide will kill MF rose, but Remedy and Surmount seem to me to be the surer killing stuff.

Bigfoot":34xewk69 said:
lynnmcmahan":34xewk69 said:
Bigfoot":34xewk69 said:
I usually use crossbow as well
Hey Bigfoot, at first glance I saw crowbar for crossbow. Thought, man he hates wild roses :D

Have used grubbing hoe, but never crowbar.

At first glance I assumed he was going to shoot them! :banana: :banana:

I am leasing a 100 acre pasture next to me and it is getting covered up in this stuff. Last summer, I rented a 300 gallon sprayer and alot of Grazon P & D and sprayed it all in 3 days. It all turned yellow and then brown. This spring it all came back. I don't think I killed any of it. Only thing I can figure is that the plants were too grown up and I only kiilled the top of it and it came back from the center. i think I'll mow it and when it starts getting leaves back on it, I'll re-spray it. Total waste of time and money last year.

CCRanch":i2v0zry2 said:
I am leasing a 100 acre pasture next to me and it is getting covered up in this stuff. Last summer, I rented a 300 gallon sprayer and alot of Grazon P & D and sprayed it all in 3 days. It all turned yellow and then brown. This spring it all came back. I don't think I killed any of it. Only thing I can figure is that the plants were too grown up and I only kiilled the top of it and it came back from the center. i think I'll mow it and when it starts getting leaves back on it, I'll re-spray it. Total waste of time and money last year.
I wouldn't mow it, as you will have to wait for a lot of regrowth (for leaf absorption) of the herbicide. Last years's drought worked against you. Herbicides need to be applied to healthy, actively growing plants. Control is compromised when plants are under drought stress. Mixing herbicide too strong is also not a good idea. Knocks the leaves off before herbicide can translocate to roots. Timing of application is important. Spray in either the spring or fall under good growing conditions. You should not spray when flowers or fruits are present or when the soil temperature is below 75 degrees. Here are some tips from TAMU's Brush Buster program on controlling wild rose:
•Follow herbicide label directions.
•For best results, don't spray when: •rains have stimulated new growth.
•leaves are wet.
•plants are less than 3 feet tall after mowing.
•foliage shows damage from hail, insects or disease.
•soil temperatures are below 75 degrees F.
•you are working immediately upwind of desirable trees, shrubs or crops.
•flowers or fruits are present.

•Treat only what can be managed in a year. Control measures may suffer if too much is taken all at once.
•The cost of treatment increases rapidly as the rose hedge becomes larger and more dense. Also, controlling Macartney rose is not a one-time job. You'll need to go over your land now and then to eliminate unwanted rose hedge sprouts.

Spraying is necessary, or atleast in my area. Spray every year, and you'll eventually get it. I spot spray the bushes. I don't usually get enough on with my field sprayer to kill anything but a weed. Its a great job for kids.