Multi-species Fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

lead_dog

Reaction score
I'm struggling with the decision of what fence to put in to surround our pasture to keep in cattle, goats, sheep and pigs. This is an 8,000 ft perimeter fence. It seems woven wire is best, but it's the most costly.

I can't seem to get a straight answer on how far apart I can get away spacing the posts. Most of the animals should never come in contact with the fence, as they'll be kept within portable electric paddocks. But I do want this fence to last a long time.

If I went with woven wire, what do you suggest for spacing, and would you do all T-Posts (other than corners) or space further apart with all wood?

Put the posts as close together as you can afford. (within reason, of course)

I personally like the posts no farther than 10 feet.

We've got metal t-posts on 20 foot centers, with 6 inch or larger telephone poles for corners. Also used the poles for H braces every 400 feet or so. The fencing is 4 foot high field fence with a strand or barbed wire on top. It's holding up well with both horses and cows.

You should have line posts every 50 ft and t-posts every 10. This is standard NRCS recommendation and works pretty well. Additionally, single H brace every 300ft and double on both ends. Two barb strands on top on one on the bottom and you have a real fence.

Andrew

Don't know anything about pigs or sheep.

But for Cattle and goats............

I started out with existing 47" field fence with a strand of barbed wire above the top. It was old mostly based on Osage Orange posts that look about 50 years old. Often the bottom is pulled up by brush where the fence line wasn't maintained.

I have begun rebuilding with 60" goat woven wire fencing. Wooden posts at the corners and every 50 ft and Tposts every 10 feet. It makes a pretty fence line but costs twice as much as the 47" field fencing. Both 47" woven field fence (with 1 barbed on top) and the 60" woven goat fencing seem to contain goats very well if the fence is in good shape. The only downside to the cheaper woven field fencing is that the open squares are large enough for goats to get their heads through and antlers caught up. It happens more often than you would think and can be fatal if you don't find them soon enough.

Barbed wire only fencing is useless for goats unless you put more stands than is really practical. (I have heard about 9 strands)
Electric fencing in front of barbed wire works for goats as long as the bottom strand is low and you have at least three hot electric lines well grounded.

In any case it helps a lot if you keep your fence line sprayed with an herbicide. Any saplings growing along the fenceline are
an incredible lure to goats. Big billys (and does) will stand by the fence with their weight and front legs on the top of the woven fence. In time they will destroy the fence to get at leaves.

Cattle, on the other hand, have been no trouble at all. I haven't had a full grown bull test my fencing yet. I'm sure that will come.

Jon

Sure seems like T posts every 10' are the way to go, with line posts and h-braces spaced appropriately. I guess I'll use my auger to dig the post holes for the 4" posts. Do I need to cement them or is there an easier/better solution? Also, once I get the posts laid out, what's the best way to connect the woven wire to the tractor so I can stretch the post before I secure it?

Thanks for all the help.

TSC has sold a tool that is a long as your fence is high. With bolts every foot or so, it sandwiches two braces together with the fence in between. Tighten it up nicely and it won't at all. I made one like it with a pair of 2x4s shored up by angle iron in the back.

I HAVE REGULAR WOVEN FENCE THAT WAS PUT UP APROX. 25 YEARS AGO. POSTS ARE 16 FT. APART,1 WOOD THEN 2 STEEL THEN WOOD .
IT PROBABLY WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER AT 12-14 FT. SPACING, BUT IT IS STILL UP ( JUST SAGS IN BETWEEN THE POSTS SOME).I THINK 10 IS CLOSE BUT IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN MANY HOGS OUT THERE THEN 10 WOULD PROBABLY BE BETTER.

YOU CAN MAKE A STRETCHER OUT OF 2- 4 &1/2- FT. HARDWOOD /2X4'S DRILL ABOUT 5 HOLES IN FOR BOLTS& SANDWICH THE FENCE BETWEEN. WE USED A COUPLE OF GOOD QUALITY COME-A-LONGS TO STRETCH IT. JUST BE CAREFUL & GOOD LUCK.

Latest posts