Mules, not the heehaw kind

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I'm in the market to replace the older 4x4 Kawasaki mule. The new ones are 9k, seem way to high for my wallet.
Anybody use any of the the other utility types of atv? Not even sure anymore who makes them ince it seems that all the manufacturers are jumping on the band wagon.
The new mule with the tool box in front seems handy, but putting a windshield on it seems problematic. Other then the dollars that's about the only problem I see.

dun

CircleA":1h2hchag said:
Dun,
i was looking at these ATV at Tractor Supply Company -

E-Z-Go Workhorse¨ ST 350
http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=9&paID=1000&sonID=8984&page=&productID=8984
Yerf-Dog Scout Compact Utility Vehicle
http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=9&paID=1000&sonID=14547&page=&productID=14547

I am not sure what the power is on them or how they will handle the work load of the ranch. but they are a lot cheaper than the ones you can get from Honda, Kawasaki, etc etc

Alex

Thanks. I looked at their specs and they just don't have the poop for a lot of the stuff we do.
One probablem around here is service. The only dealers we have are JD, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Harley, yamaha and Honda.

dun

Your best bet is to stick with the mule. We run the dog out of ours and it starts up everytime and has outlasted others that we have tried.

txshowmom":48qnsq19 said:
Your best bet is to stick with the mule. We run the dog out of ours and it starts up everytime and has outlasted others that we have tried.

Our 4wd is getting pretty well beat. Part of the logic? of getting rid of it and a new one was because it's going to need probably a grand or so in it's physical. Brakes, belts, etc. The reasoning was that if we got rid of it and got anew one that the difference between the fixing costs and the new one wouldn't be all that much. That was until I found out they run 9 grand. That's not much less then I paid for my first house, and it had two bathrooms.

dun

Dun,
Look in the Bolivar paper there is a vehicle in there that sounds good,
Its not 4 wheel drive but it claims it can run over anything!

"Used Mexican Taxi's $75 firm"

dun":3ggr9scw said:
I'm in the market to replace the older 4x4 Kawasaki mule. The new ones are 9k, seem way to high for my wallet.
Anybody use any of the the other utility types of atv? Not even sure anymore who makes them ince it seems that all the manufacturers are jumping on the band wagon.
The new mule with the tool box in front seems handy, but putting a windshield on it seems problematic. Other then the dollars that's about the only problem I see.

dun

Kubota makes one that would probably be good,but they are pretty good sized, almost like as small car,probably cost an arm,leg,and your first born.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2z002r0r said:
dun":2z002r0r said:

dun

Kubota makes one that would probably be good,but they are pretty good sized, almost like as small car,probably cost an arm,leg,and your first born.

Nearest kubota dealer that I know of is 2 hours away. Bit far for my taste. Guess I'll just have to either suck it up and pay the money or give this one a real thorough physical before winter.

dun

my dad just bought a polaris ranger after shopping around for different makes, models & options. he didn't want 4wd but will probably wish he had the next time it rains. i'm not sure what options he was basing his decision on but polaris came out on top.

I have an opportunity to buy a diesel 4wd Gator. Don't know model or condition, as I haven't had a chance to go look at it yet. Anybody have any experience with the diesel models ?

They're a pretty tough rig, but noisy. The Gators aren't quite as tough as the mules. They're a litghter in the frame, that's according to the JD dealer.

dun

Looked at the Bambardier whayever its' called, the Ymaha Rhino and the Polaris Ranger.
Looks like if we replace the Mule it will bbe with a another mule. The Bambardier doesn't have anything in the right category, the Yamaha is a little bit featurless compard to what we need, the Polaris was interesting, but it turnes out what we liked about it over the Mule was the gas gauge that's easy to see without raising the seat and the filler being there also. Main things that we didn't like was the height of the rear box and the piddly size of the front storage box.
Ah well, we gave it a shot

dun

we have a gator 2wd but it has a rear diff lock that u can lock in and out. we have abused it and it just keeps going. i would def recommend one they are pretty good priced too. i think we paid about 4800. tommy

bwranch":frkylpdf said:
cattletom":frkylpdf said:
we have a gator 2wd but it has a rear diff lock ...

How does it do in the mud? Working, not playing.

Interesting. Around here they're aren't thought opf very highly, even by the dealer. This heavy clay mud is pretty tough on vehicles. Plus the low ground clearence, relative to the others, would be a real disadvantage in our rocks.
Just another case of what works in one place isn't always that good in another.
Addition to the previous comparison:
The faster speed of the Ranger isn't much of an advantage when it's so rough that about the best you can do is 10 mph.

dun

dun":3aq2c1pm said:
Plus the low ground clearence, relative to the others, would be a real disadvantage in our rocks.
That's the biggest problem I see with our 2WD Gator. I've had it stuck several times and I think all of them were related to the low ground clearance. Also, can't use them in very deep water because the exhaust clearance is too low. Other than that, its been trouble-free.

I know for a fact that the only Polaris Ranger thats worth a dern is the 6WD model, I guess the 4WD cant handle these steep hills and hollers that make up so much of the pasture land around. The 6WD can really get you around during our hard winters. But on the downside if you use the 6WD youll also be plowing up your fields. It can do a alot of damage in the muddy conditions. Also the first Rangers when they came out were not that fast. A 4-wheeler could definitly beat one in a race. I would say that the 4WD models now are much quicker than the 6-wheelers.

Texan":3ebymv45 said:
dun":3ebymv45 said:
Plus the low ground clearence, relative to the others, would be a real disadvantage in our rocks.
That's the biggest problem I see with our 2WD Gator. I've had it stuck several times and I think all of them were related to the low ground clearance. Also, can't use them in very deep water because the exhaust clearance is too low. Other than that, its been trouble-free.

There has been a couple of times I've had to walk back up the hill and get the tractor to lift the mule off a rock or stump. I guess the gator wouldn't have been high enough to get hung up, would have just banged into it.

dun

Dun, you will just have to watch where you are going, no?

We now have two mules, one four years old and the other a few months. Both are 4x4 and I have yet to get stuck, close but not!

They do not tear up the pasture, are very comfortable on the old back and the fit and finish seem very good.

Now the wife and I can have mules races. HA.

I recently looked at Kobota's new utility vehicle with the diesel engine. It was nice, high off the ground, but noisey and I didn't like the hydrostatic tranny, which I understand one gets use to????

Go for it!

Bill

MrBilly":31ag8uds said:
Dun, you will just have to watch where you are going, no?

Bill

Tall grass and an idiot that cut trees about 8-10 inches above the ground. Located somemore today. Sure glad the brush hog has a slip clutch instead of a shear pin. Saved 10 bucks and a couple of hours not having to replace them every few minutes.

dun

Latest posts