Muddy water

Help Support CattleToday:

Ricker

Reaction score
I have one of my herds on some land that I have which has a large lake on it.

I have noticed the cattle are going down to the closest place to the pasture at the lake. That area is shallow and muddy.

If they would just go a few hundred feet more down the edge of the lake they could get deep, crystal clear water.

Should I worry about the quality of the muddy water they are getting?

70acresfishing013vt2.jpg

lhorncows008jy0.jpg

water quality is a big factor, many people completely fence off their ponds to keep the cows out and then manually pump the water to waiting tanks for the cows, doing this prevents the cows from damaging the sides of the pond and disturbing the ponds ecosystem

if this isn't something that you can do - could you fence this muddy area off from the cows and force them to go elsewhere to drink - however, what is that water edge like - would you just be moving the problem to another area?

Cows love muddy waters. Ours would rather drink from mud puddles than from the waterers when they can. Just gives them extra minerals and vitamins.

Quality of water for cattle is one of the most important management factors;

..........................."The big picture

Water is the most important nutrient to cattle. It can have many health and production effects. There are definite economic gains to providing an unlimited supply of high quality water. Managing water quality should become as important as the feed source and ration planning in a beef cattle management program.

For further information on rural Prairie water quality and treatment technology:

contact your local Prairie Farm Rehabilitation Administration office (PFRA is a branch of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada);
read Prairie Water News, available from PFRA, or on the Internet at http://www.quantumlynx.com/water"

Full article;

http://www.agr.gc.ca/pfra/water/wqcattle_e.htm

Also here;

http://cvm.msu.edu/extension/docs/WATERQ.htm

I would find a way to fence off the bad entrance area and force them to the choice water.

In the spring we have a hard time getting the cows to come to wayter as the water in all the holes in the pastures is so clean and fresh.. Come June they tend to avoid that water as it becomes stagnant.. you can generally smell it.. Drives me nuts that they drink out of these holes but I am not going to fence them all off.. Would take the better part of my lifetime to in some of the fields...

IL Rancher":pa5vos3k said:
In the spring we have a hard time getting the cows to come to wayter as the water in all the holes in the pastures is so clean and fresh.. Come June they tend to avoid that water as it becomes stagnant.. you can generally smell it.. Drives me nuts that they drink out of these holes but I am not going to fence them all off.. Would take the better part of my lifetime to in some of the fields...
i keep clean water for my cows but they will drink out of about anything thats closer than the tanks. ive seen em drink out of mud holes that another cow was pi$$in in at the same time. i just shake my head and walk away ;-)

Caustic Burno":3tsuwqr2 said:
That water ain't hurtin them cows.

Some of the stuff ya'll worry about is totally amazing.

Caustic, I agree. Someday after these folks gets their cows on clear water and have reduced their cattle's immune system to zero, they will probably need to worry about it. Mine will have to continue drinking that ole muddy stuff with all the bugs in it. Much of the fresh water folks are giving their cows these days are from government supported projects to keep cows and their waste from going in streams. The gov is not doing it for the health of the cows. JMHO

Another option might be fencing it off and having one spot open to the water where the cattle could drink, and gravel it or somthing to keep it from getting to torn up, just another option.

Cowdirt":1tsfxli5 said:
Caustic Burno":1tsfxli5 said:
That water ain't hurtin them cows.

Some of the stuff ya'll worry about is totally amazing.

Caustic, I agree. Someday after these folks gets their cows on clear water and have reduced their cattle's immune system to zero, they will probably need to worry about it. Mine will have to continue drinking that ole muddy stuff with all the bugs in it. Much of the fresh water folks are giving their cows these days are from government supported projects to keep cows and their waste from going in streams. The gov is not doing it for the health of the cows. JMHO

If the cows are drinking the muddy water, it may be that it is better quality than the clear stuff. Trust your cows a bit, I have seen it before (especially in creeks) where the cows would be drinking the yuckiest water that you could imagine and not touching the stuff you think is good (usually the clearest water). And, when tested it turned out the clear stuff wasn't any good and the yucky looking stuff was fine. Sometimes the clear water is clear because it IS bad.

ALACOWMAN":1k8xfd1q said:
IL Rancher":1k8xfd1q said:
i keep clean water for my cows but they will drink out of about anything thats closer than the tanks. ive seen em drink out of mud holes that another cow was pi$$in in at the same time. i just shake my head and walk away ;-)

:nod: :nod: That's been my experience.

Katherine

Only really bugs me when the water is really, really rank and the calves are young.. That has more to do with the mud around the edge of the puddle (won't call something that only gets 12-18 inches deep a pond even if it does cover an acre of ground for much of the spring) and sometimes have problems... We have to have water pumped for much of the year because by July1st usually the puddles are mostly dried out.. For the last few years that has been the case at June 1st.. This year is looking a little bit wetter, don't know if the fields will ever dry out.

Ricker":31ksmnfl said:
NamVet_Farmer44":31ksmnfl said:
hey ricker...any alligators in that water?

2 or 3

gatorinyard015bl7.jpg

I'd say let them drink out the shallowest part of the pond then...they get down in the deep water and that's when your gonna lose a few thirsty calves...at least they can see the gators in the shawllow part