Muddy corral problem?

Help Support CattleToday:

I've seen folks use straw before around the feeders to soak up the water, but I didn't know so many folks on here felt that was a bad idea. Guess you learn something new every day.

TUCO":uokzdegc said:
la4angus: when you find out about his hay please let me know about it. i want to buy some real good hay to. i think everbody should pay close attention to what baseballfan has to say. :lol: i always want to listen to the experts and the ranchers that make there livin from cows and hay and that dont just need tax rite offs. them ranchers in oregon know a lot about cattle. :p
TUCO, if gp the baseball fan has some real good quality hay that could take care of our needs for the winter. For the Utah ranch alpne we would use at least 300 carloads. I have been checking around and it sounds like gp makes some of the best hay in Oregon.

Lost Hope Ranch":2boryxld said:
TUCO":2boryxld said:
la4angus: when you find out about his hay please let me know about it. i want to buy some real good hay to. i think everbody should pay close attention to what baseballfan has to say. :lol: i always want to listen to the experts and the ranchers that make there livin from cows and hay and that dont just need tax rite offs. them ranchers in oregon know a lot about cattle. :p
TUCO, if gp the baseball fan has some real good quality hay that could take care of our needs for the winter. For the Utah ranch alpne we would use at least 300 carloads. I have been checking around and it sounds like gp makes some of the best hay in Oregon.
:roll: :roll: :cboy: :lol: :lol:

We used some select fill in some new corrals this winter. Higher in the center of pens sloping to the outside. I like select fill or cushion sand myself. It is cheaper than rock or gravel in my area, packs down nicely, easy to work with, and when I need to clean the corrals, I don't have rocks.

For any who don't know, select fill is a mixture of sand, sandy loam. It is easy to grade smooth. It will have just enough clay to pack down real tight. Cushion sand is "sand". It is normally used underneath foundations.

Just another opinion.

We have used cornstalk bales but only in areas where we can get the stuff back off. It is only a temporary fix used only when we have to get the work done at that time and want to make things easier for the cattle - and for us. You do want to clean it back out though. Fences get real short, real quick. It does increase bacteria and disease if left. Foot rot can become a real problem, real soon in lots. I wouldn't do the hay thing. I know what kind of mess we get around our hay ring feeders. Ends up being the deepest spots of muck.

Baseballfan - why so hostile? Not every idea will work in every location and every situation. I really appreciate when others point out the advantages and disadvantages to an idea. Saves a LOT of pain, aggrevation, and expense! Asking questions gives a better idea of how you are doing it and whether it will work for me. We call ourselves a mom and pop operation. There are bigger guys with bigger pocketbooks out there but I am always happy to share what I am doing and how I am doing it. I am proud of what I do.
I get real leery of people when they react the way you did. Makes me wonder - DO you have cattle? What kind of condition are they in? What condition is your operation in? How big is your dead pile? Would I want to eat what you produce? What are you trying to hide?
If you are not proud enough of yours to talk about it then maybe you should just listen for a while longer and try to implement some of the other ideas on this board. Come back when you ARE proud.

I don't mean to be coming down on you too hard but neither does anyone else want to be yelled at by you. Most times questions are real ones - and this board IS for learning.

Farmhand":bs9pslhn said:
Baseballfan - why so hostile?

I get real leery of people when they react the way you did. Makes me wonder - DO you have cattle? What kind of condition are they in? What condition is your operation in? How big is your dead pile? Would I want to eat what you produce? What are you trying to hide?
If you are not proud enough of yours to talk about it then maybe you should just listen for a while longer and try to implement some of the other ideas on this board. Come back when you ARE proud.
This is very well said Farmhand. I think LA 4Angus touched a nerve. Everbody doesnt have to have cattle to participate but it sure would help if they are going to be giving advice!!!

About what to use in the pens....don't use the hay!!! On top of the problems everbody else mentioned you will have a miserable stablefly problem if you do that. And keep in mind that it wont always be muddy...I see many people that forget that it gets dry after the mud is gone. Dont put down anything that will create too much dust later. Mud is miserable for man and cattle both to work in...but the dust creates a lot more respiratory problems and can easily cost you more money. Especially at calf weaning or calf working time. Just my 2 cents