Mud Tires

Help Support CattleToday:

Count another vote for the Hankook Dynapro AT. I had a set on my last truck, and they were less expensive, quieter and had at least as much traction as the BFG All Terrain TKO's they replaced. Both were lt285/75/17 load range E's. The TKO's were really good tires, traction was good, and I got close to 50K out of them - could've done better if I'd kept them rotated regularly, but they were as loud as a lot of mud tires I've run. I sold the truck with about 30K on the Hankooks, and they were right at 50% tread left. We have a set of the Hankook's on our 4X4 Explorer, they have about 15K on them and would pass for having 1500 - they look like they're going to last a long time.

We do run mud tires on our feed trucks. Maxxis Buckshot Mudder's. Don't worry about noise there, or tread life even, 'cause they don't get driven a whole lot of miles, but they are great for traction.

cross_7":6bc8jrif said:
skyhightree1":6bc8jrif said:
Thanks all for the info. I did see the bfg all terrain and liked those they were pretty aggressive for a a/t tire. I am gonna check tire rack to see what they say about the mud tires noise aspect.

I have run two sets of BFG they are not 10 ply but I don't remember what they are ant didn't wear like the hankooks
Seems like the sidewalls are weak
I have heard good thinks about toyo's but I've never run them

Dude, you can buy BFGs in 10ply also. In fact BFG A/Ts have the thickest side wall on the market. You have really got thru some bad stumps to rip out the side wall. It makes for a slightly stiffer ride but stands up well if you carry weight regularly or have a heavy diesel truck. The only time I ever got a flat on the BFGs is when they were about shot. I drove thru stuff that had been dozed and shredded all the time.

The down side the the Hankooks is they have a thinner side wall. It makes them feel like a smoother ride but I have put stuff thru them on multiple occasions.

I got away from the BFG A/Ts when I started running A LOT of gravel roads. They pick up rocks and will sand blast the whole bottom side of your vehice. The Hankooks get stightly better millage and are a little more mannerly on the roads due to being not as agressive. I chose to watch for stumps a little better in exchange for a smoother ride.

Discount Tire gave me some Cooper Tires that are suppose to have warranty up to 60K... blah blah blah. At 15K miles the tread was just coming off in chunks. You could actually see belting. They refunded the whole price of the tires. Apparently it a really hard rubber to get the millage and the rocks were just pealing those tires apart. :lol:

I not tried to run Mud Tires but after reading your post I will try to this unique experience. What type of techniques and tricks are required to run at best level?

Brute 23 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:38 am
Dude, you can buy BFGs in 10ply also. In fact BFG A/Ts have the thickest side wall on the market.

The ones I had the side wall would squat out like I had a fat girl in the backseat no matter the how many pounds of air you put in them, but the ones I had were not 10 ply.
The 10 ply tires may hold up better to fat girls

Are Hancook's still made overseas? I've only purchased Made in the USA tires since I've been buying. I've had good luck with Mastercraft's.

cross_7":2pkhvjtl said:
Brute 23 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:38 am
Dude, you can buy BFGs in 10ply also. In fact BFG A/Ts have the thickest side wall on the market.

The ones I had the side wall would squat out like I had a fat girl in the backseat no matter the how many pounds of air you put in them, but the ones I had were not 10 ply.
The 10 ply tires may hold up better to fat girls

Was that because of a soft sidewall or a wide tire on a narrow wheel?

All terrains are pretty good at everything except mud. They are a comprimise tire - jack of all trades master of none. In my experience, with BFG ATs, Nitto ATs, and Cooper ATs, you might as well have regular car tires in the mud. AT tread packs with mud because the lugs aren't designed to fling mud out of the tread. They are made of harder rubber and the lugs are too close together so the tire is quiet on the road. I would not expect too much out of an AT in the mud.

Mud tires are fairly crappy at everything except off road traction - especially mud. They suck on wet roads, siping can help with this though, and they wear faster because they are made of softer rubber. They are also harder to balance and they hum on pavement. That said, they kick butt in the mud, rocks, wet sand, over wet logs, etc.

You gotta decide what's important to you and buy accordingly.

JHH":8gmy0lr3 said:
All the postal route carriers around here use the mud kings. They get 30-40 thousand miles on them. I run my own shop and can tell you that they are by far the best wearing mud tire out there. Have used the dynapro but they cant seem to get the same mileage out of them. I think the gravel roads are to hard on them.

Can you still get Mud Kings? I have two sets of them on feed trucks but the local dealer said they've been discontinued.

J&D Cattle":16r8pk7n said:
Are Hancook's still made overseas? I've only purchased Made in the USA tires since I've been buying. I've had good luck with Mastercraft's.

Cooper tires and all the tires it makes (mastercraft, starfire, roadmaster and avon), just got bought out by India based Apollo Tyers. We will see how long it takes em to shut down their plants here. It won't be long and you won't be able to buy anything made here if something doesn't change.

B&M Farms":dmuzuoot said:
J&D Cattle":dmuzuoot said:

Cooper tires and all the tires it makes (mastercraft, starfire, roadmaster and avon), just got bought out by India based Apollo Tyers. We will see how long it takes em to shut down their plants here. It won't be long and you won't be able to buy anything made here if something doesn't change.

That sucks! I'd say it won't be long at all.

The best mud tire out there is the Toyo MT. The ride is great and not very noisy either, but you pay the price for them.

Had a 23 yr old 10:00-16 tractor front went flat today. Went to co-op and put the 265-16 pickup spare on the tractor rim.

Got a new Hankook Dynapro ATm to put on for the spare. Told co-op guys I hope to be able to get another tire like it in 5 yrs so I can put on a pair. Not likely though. :oops:

The new Hankook is made in China and cost $210. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Good luck with the truck tire on the front. I hope you have a cab on your tractor, if not you'll be wearing plenty of dirt and water.

Latest posts