Mud Tires

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Does anyone run mud tires on there trucks all the time ? I don't but am thinking about doing a trial run on my hunting truck for a year and see how well the tread holds up compared to the regular street tires. Reason I am asking is cause we have got almost 12 inches of rain in 3 weeks and you guessed it I got stuck a few times but think I could have gotten out if I had aggressive tires. The weather here is hot and I think the heat and these roads will eat the tires up in a year.

How many miles a year you drive? What kind of roads... paved, gravel, ect? What kind of truck?

There are several good brands of mud tires. They have come a long way as far as life and how they handle. Rotating and making sure to maintain your front end goes a long way with the mud grips. Toyo, Nitto, BFGoodrich, Hankook, even this Rocky Mountain Falcon all have great Mud Tires. Best thing to do is just give a set a try and see how they work out.

I run hankook dynapro at
They have aggressive tread and I got slightly over 100k on the last set mostly highway miles

cross_7":370wbos3 said:
I run hankook dynapro at
They have aggressive tread and I got slightly over 100k on the last set mostly highway miles

I will have to take a look at those. I run mud grips on my 3/4ton but usually only drive it around the farm or pulling trailers. I have never gotten more than around 35k out of a set. They sound like good tires.

I used to run Mud Kings all the time, would get 35k miles out of a set. The AT's will get 55k. Now that tires are so expensive, 20k miles is big deal if you drive a lot. If you don't, go with the Mud tires.

B&M Farms":bkxzmw9j said:
cross_7":bkxzmw9j said:
I run hankook dynapro at

I will have to take a look at those. I run mud grips on my 3/4ton but usually only drive it around the farm or pulling trailers. I have never gotten more than around 35k out of a set. They sound like good tires.

I have a half ton and 99% of it is without a trailer and an empty bed

All the postal route carriers around here use the mud kings. They get 30-40 thousand miles on them. I run my own shop and can tell you that they are by far the best wearing mud tire out there. Have used the dynapro but they cant seem to get the same mileage out of them. I think the gravel roads are to hard on them.

First of all....if you have a lot of mud, the best thing for it is 4 wheel drive....(.been their, done that!). Can't say I've seen one without all-terrain tires. BFGoodrich were on mine when I bought it. 140000 miles and 4th set of tires about half wore out. I could get more miles out of them, but I don't wear them slick.

Brute I would be putting these on my hunting truck a 99 F150 4x4 that will be driven maybe about 12k a year maybe and be mostly driven 50% on hard top roads and 50% on gravel roads I do however most of the time tow a trailer that has my 4 wheeler on it and sometimes a small tractor to do food plots or a bobcat to do clean up with so load range is something i question because I use e load range tires now. My friends have mud tires on their trucks and they never even touch mud and man you can hear them coming for a country mile and ride with them you gotta yell so they can hear you id like to find some low noise ones if possible?

1982vett":2j9wc4ot said:
First of all....if you have a lot of mud, the best thing for it is 4 wheel drive....(.been their, done that!). Can't say I've seen one without all-terrain tires. BFGoodrich were on mine when I bought it. 140000 miles and 4th set of tires about half wore out. I could get more miles out of them, but I don't wear them slick.

Even with new radial tires they become filled with mud and spin and have no traction at all in thick mud situations. I agree about the 4x4 I only have 1 pick up thats 2 wheel drive.

There are so many thing that effect how long tires last... gravel, stop and go, weight, ability to do math. Gravel will cut a tire life in half. Long trip vs stop and go will add life.

50K mi is good out of any type of A/T or M/T. Ive seen 60k but you start getting over that and there is some thing else going on.

Im a big fan of all the BFG tires. THe KM2, TKO, and Trail Terrain. Im running Hankook A/Ts right now and they are by far the best I have found on the gravel. The BFG A/T is the most agressive A/T on the market. For the most part it will get you any where a M/T will.

There is no such thing as a quiet mud terrain.

cross_7":56r2n95c said:
I run hankook dynapro at
That's what we run on everything, best tire made IMO.

Brute 23":34s8jnmz said:
There are so many thing that effect how long tires last... gravel, stop and go, weight, ability to do math. Gravel will cut a tire life in half. Long trip vs stop and go will add life.

50K mi is good out of any type of A/T or M/T. Ive seen 60k but you start getting over that and there is some thing else going on.

Im a big fan of all the BFG tires. THe KM2, TKO, and Trail Terrain. Im running Hankook A/Ts right now and they are by far the best I have found on the gravel. The BFG A/T is the most agressive A/T on the market. For the most part it will get you any where a M/T will.

There is no such thing as a quiet mud terrain.

I got 100k plus out of my last set of dynapro ats( I know my sums and ciphering)
it's a 10 ply tire so flats are uncommon
The road to my place is about 4 miles off the pavement and the rest is work related and lots of hwy miles(2011 f150 with 160000 miles)

I have the dyna pro and when I get a new set which will be real soon I am going to switch
I thin the name of the ones Jed and I are trying this time is called Fierce don't remember the rest
we have ran several sets of dynapros and are lucky to get 20k out of them
neighbor has this new type we are going to try and he has around 30k on them and he drives like an idiot

ALL we run is mud tires or else we will be stuck

Angus Cowman":3dp2ddgr said:
I have the dyna pro and when I get a new set which will be real soon I am going to switch
I thin the name of the ones Jed and I are trying this time is called Fierce don't remember the rest
we have ran several sets of dynapros and are lucky to get 20k out of them
neighbor has this new type we are going to try and he has around 30k on them and he drives like an idiot

ALL we run is mud tires or else we will be stuck
You ain't looked lately. 6,000 miles and half wore out and tire like a log wagon. Think I've had them a month.

I had a set of Federal Couragia M/T on a F250 I Had and they were wore slap out at 18k miles. It had a Diesel in it which is heavy, but they are junk tires. My buddy had the same on his ton truck and got about 15k out of them.

Thanks all for the info. I did see the bfg all terrain and liked those they were pretty aggressive for a a/t tire. I am gonna check tire rack to see what they say about the mud tires noise aspect.

skyhightree1":2oocga06 said:
Thanks all for the info. I did see the bfg all terrain and liked those they were pretty aggressive for a a/t tire. I am gonna check tire rack to see what they say about the mud tires noise aspect.

I have run two sets of BFG they are not 10 ply but I don't remember what they are ant didn't wear like the hankooks
Seems like the sidewalls are weak
I have heard good thinks about toyo's but I've never run them

As stated, first the best is a four wheel drive, second is a good quiet all season tread pattern. Here in the Northwest that all most country folk run, four wheel drive and a good, quiet all season (mud) tread. I have ran several kinds over the past 30 years or so. But with our gravel roads and the loads of hay and wood I carry I went to at least an 8 ply tire on my 1 ton Chevy, lately I've ran Toyo's but the jury is still out on them. For me 8 ply is a must, I have had too many flats on gravel roads. As said it depends on the make up of your roads and what your hauling.

Sorry I'm not much help.

Alan