Mud Terrain Tires.Are they worth it?

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but it seems that the modern Mud Terrain tires don't go as well as the old bias ply did.I know they had larger voids and seemed to clean well.The ones I've used just seem to fill with mud and it sticks in the tread.I can do that with AT tires and they will wear longer.
Maybe I'm asking more from pickup tires now than when the bias were out.I had a set of wider than standard ATs on last year through the winter and never switched them off.The 235-8516 MTs dont seem to hold that much better.
Maybe I should switch them one day and try.I don't have to mount and balance.Just have to switch sets of wheels.

Any thoughts?

I don't even try anymore. I have come to the conclusion all fwd is good for on a truck is to get you fifty feet farther than you have chain or cable.
If I need to go someplace like that I just get the tractor.

Best tires made in my opinion is BF Goodwrench All terrain. I have ran them for 12 or so years on two different 3/4 ton diesels pick ups. They go good off road but still gives you a smooth ride on pavement.

I don't think I'll put another set of MTs on a daily driver again. They have gotten too expensive and don't last long at all. The tires I have now are labled R/T and do really well in mud and ride good. The feed truck has a really old set of MTs on it and they do surprisingly well in the mud. Only got stuck once this year and that was after dark in really bad weather....my fault I knew better.

I run in mud every day and use Kanati Mud Hog 31x10.50x15 on the jeep and Firestone Destination MT's on the F250. Very happy with both.
Pricefarm if you like the BF Goodrich you would really love the Firestone.

Caustic Burno":2epteabt said:
I don't even try anymore. I have come to the conclusion all fwd is good for on a truck is to get you fifty feet farther than you have chain or cable.
If I need to go someplace like that I just get the tractor.

I think that's the problem.Used to use the tractor and 3pt hitch carrier.Or walk.

Anyone try the tire recappers in KY or Treadwright MT ?

I've gotten to where all I will run is MTs. Every time I switch to an AT I am disappointed.

I can get 55K miles out of the Toyo MTs. They ride smooth... are tough tires... and do great in the mud. They can actually handle the gravel also.

I use to be a die hard BFG guy but they were late to the game with a chip proof tires. Their KM2s are priced rediculous and they get pretty squirrelly with a little wear.

The difference for me between running an AT or an MT is if your pull trailers in the mud or have hills. Most all the name brand ATs will get just a truck by itself as far as an MT on fairly flat ground. If your pulling a trailer with an AT you have no chance. They don't have enough bite.

I put ATs on my 17 when I got it last year. This winter was a PIA trying to feed. I was getting stuck on slick back mud... wasn't sunk... wasn't throwing mud... Just spinning... making a mess of things. I bounced them asap. Put the Toyo MTs on and a lot of times I could walk right thru the same wet spots with out spinning a tire.

You have to have realistic expectations. If it's boggy.. No tire is going to help. It's a weight vs surface area game. If your in slick or stomped up stuff trying to feed cattle or what ever the MTs are worth every penny. I don't get to choose the optimal time to feed a lot of times so I'm going snow, rain, or shine. A lot of times if you lock it in 4L and just crawl with a good set of tires you can get a lot places with minimal damage.

kenny thomas":2xeapn51 said:
I run in mud every day and use Kanati Mud Hog 31x10.50x15 .

I used to know a guy that could get you a good deal on them, shipping was a b**ch though. :lol:

I loved the old Mud King radials but sadly they've been discontinued. I use BFG AT's on the daily drivers, but their Mud Terrain's have became much less aggressive in the past couple of generations.

I had to replace a set of tires on one of the Hydrabed trucks this year, and put Firestone M/T's on it. They're a little stiffer in the sidewall than the Mud King's but the tread is good and open, and cleans itself well. That particular truck has Detroit Lockers front and rear, and will take you 99% of the places a 4wd tractor will go.

I was a BFG AT believer but a couple of bad tires has me running Toyo AT tires at the moment and there not bad. I don't care for the noise of a MT on the highway, and I'm definitely not mud bogging my nice truck offroad.

True Grit Farms":25p8mr9g said:
I was a BFG AT believer but a couple of bad tires has me running Toyo AT tires at the moment and there not bad. I don't care for the noise of a MT on the highway, and I'm definitely not mud bogging my nice truck offroad.

What issues have you had with the BFG's? I've used them since the mid-90's and they've been good to me.

cfpinz":2kvgf7xv said:
True Grit Farms":2kvgf7xv said:

What issues have you had with the BFG's? I've used them since the mid-90's and they've been good to me.

Balance issues is my only complaint, it took 7 tires till I was happy with the ride. I had the tires balanced by 3 different places. One was the 4 Wheel Parts store and they have a high speed bump balance deal that balances the tires while there still on the truck. When I pay top dollar for a tire I want it to ride smooth at any speed.

Latest posts