Mud slide

Help Support CattleToday:

Named'em Tamed'em":2vn5d1dh said:
Sure can't help that it's pouring down and windy as he77 this evening.

Yep, we are getting pounded tonight with heavy rain and wind, hope all is well up there.

I've seen some posts here and there . . . that the responders didn't get out fast enough on the first day. I have a friend that is first responder there with Sheriff's Dept. He hasn't had much sleep. Oso and Darrington are isolated communities outside of Seattle proper or other major cities. Those people lived there because they liked the "far away" and "near the river." So, on a Saturday, as you've read, the regulars were still in bed or running errands to town, and the vacationers may or may have not been there, or on the road. They were on the spot on Saturday, with all available resources! There were signs of life on Saturday, but the ground was so unstable that they could not be approached. Snohomish County didn't wait on FEMA to come in, 3 or 4 days away. They called in every available nearby resource -- other counties, from wherever they could get them that day. Even with helicopters, someone has to get on the ground to secure a possible survivor. It was quick-sand like mud and, shifting debris. For those that are critiquing, you must have no clue how catastrophic this event was, and how dangerous it was for those that went in and continue to go every day. You will likely never know how bad it has been as they go through the 20 ft. deep debris/timber piles/wrecked houses/cars/seeing family pictures and keepsakes in the mud -- you will never see what they've seen. There will be people never found, buried where they lay in the deep debris. DNA will identify others. I hope they can find some alive, but I don't think so. BUT, don't think all those people out there working have shirked their responsibilities. Not for a minute.

The real crime is criticizing the rescue efforts and volunteers that went there to work without being asked. Complain about the federal emergency response, but not the locals EM services and volunteers.

All missing except 4 have been found. The number is thankfully much lower than the 100 originally thought lost. On the first day, only a few were found/saved, and none after that. Civilians did much to aid on the few rescues. A mom (w/ broken legs and other issues) and her little guy (with skull fracture and other issues) were among those few. Today, the little guy went home. What a blessing. http://vimeo.com/91930702