mud farm

Help Support CattleToday:

This has been the worst mud in my area that I have ever had. Poor cows sink to their knees in some areas. I've gotten stuck while walking through some areas. Had to pull my boots off to get out.

It's a mess here too. Today, it's raining, sleeting and snowing. We're in a blizzard warning. I watch the weather report from Offutt Air Force base in Nebraska and their forecast for my area is not nearly as "your all gonna die" and is the forecast from the national weather service. Will know tomorrow :D

This has been the wettest winter we have ever had and now we have had 9 more straight days of rain.
I-40 and I-26 are both closed due to mudslides. I just came back from feeding and I had to drive a tractor back because my truck could not get through the flooded road to my home. Tomorrow It looks like I will be replacing the same fence for the second time this week. This is the worst flooding in our area I have ever seen.

Thanks TC. You took a couple of the storms that we didn't get. We moved the bred heifers close to the house. They're due March 5 but one couldn't wait and calved three days ago. She and her baby are in the barn. I checked the others this morning and it was so icy I was afraid I'd fall. It's snowing now.
Where my mature cow herd winters, there's a ditch that cuts the pasture in half. Some places it's not deep or wide, other places it is. The cows won't cross it anymore-anywhere. We bought a 15 foot steel bed off an old farm truck, put railroad tie supports under it and set it over the ditch. My cows (and me) now have a bridge to access the rest of the pasture.

We moved calving back a few years ago, technically not supposed to start til the 27th but already had 3 and moved the bred heifers to the barn a couple days ago. Hate calving in this slop!

i moved them out in pasture finally.. they can tear it up.. had them in the barn since november.. ended up 3 500 lb calves died on me so i figured too much barn time .. had too many head in there so its my fault..

ddd75 said:
i moved them out in pasture finally.. they can tear it up.. had them in the barn since november.. ended up 3 500 lb calves died on me so i figured too much barn time .. had too many head in there so its my fault..

Dang DDD that sucks! What did they die from, pneumonia? I have heard being inside all the time can be hard on cows lungs unless you have a high ventilation rate.

We have mud here also, of course. Another 2" or so of rain expected tonight. Last night the weather guy said we have had a total of 12 days in 2019 that it hasn't rained! 6 in January and 6 so far in February. I have been feeding the cows in a newly cleared area with a bale graze. Moving the bale ring can be fun in the mud! I let them waste some hay for bedding. Green grass isn't too far off, I hope!

If I could post a pic I would show you one place I have cows. There probably 5 acres of it under water about 8 ft deep it's over the top of the fence plus some. There mud in places up to my knees almost.

I'm trying not to pray for rain to end. God knows what he's doing. But we do need prayers for cattle to be fine. These cows even in hill country can have big problems trying to calve in this mud. Calves can't get dried off. Its raining through the cedars now so theres nowhere dry to lay them. Found a cow today that slid downhill in the woods and apparently couldn't get up. Calf was up acting like he'd already nursed. We got a bottle calf now. Pray for people with fences washed out. Also with the wind coming tonight we need to pray that not too many trees blow over. Hope they have strong roots!
I guess we all have troubles no matter what part of the Country we're in.

We have had it pretty bad, but some of you guys sound worse. I hope it slacks off soon. We have only had two spells of rain, first one started late December, went thru early January, the second was from mid January until now.

If I don't laugh, I'll cry.

Praying for all the cows..

Pretty much all of the southern corn belt, to the Ohio, Tennessee valleys, is coated in a thick layer of mud. It's so bad the water has started running up hill. :lol:

Yeah, we have a lot of mud, but good grief, the wind! It'll dry out in no time, we had a nice sunny day today and the cows liked it me thinks

I know we aren't as bad off as some. Price farm sounds like he is really seeing the water and from the radar that I have been watching daily, the last couple weeks, Ky and Tn and NC have gotten it even worse than us here. But we are feeling it too. I have never seen so much wet for so long a time as we have had in the last 16-18 months. Feeding is a nightmare, and there is no dry place to calve. Have a couple on the ground, and more ready to start in a week or two. Luckily no heifers this spring. But even the experienced cows can't get them dried off and up to suck fast enough. We went through this last spring and here it is again.
Yes, it beats a drought..... but not by much right now. Only fear is that it might dry up come May or June and then we will be in trouble.
Supposed to stop sometime Sunday, then the wind that I guess those west of here are seeing now. 25-40 mph with gusts up to 60 or so? My son works VDOT, and he had to go out this evening to get a downed tree. It will get worse if the wind hits that hard. There are flood warnings all over and the ground is so soggy that you will sink up to your knees if you aren't careful. He had trouble with the 4wd tractor trying to go out across the hill to feed some hay this evening.
Making me think we might just move our "spring calving up a little more to late March /early April.

We're at 16.20" of rain since Jan 1 and it was mud then. Could get another 1/2" by morning. Actually been wet since October.
I'm just now starting to feed hay but I'm gonna just set out some extra for a few days. Might put a few rolls in the woods so at least it will be on solid ground.

kenny thomas said:
We're at 16.20" of rain since Jan 1 and it was mud then. Could get another 1/2" by morning. Actually been wet since October.
I'm just now starting to feed hay but I'm gonna just set out some extra for a few days. Might put a few rolls in the woods so at least it will be on solid ground.

You have had more than we have. About 9-10 inches here since Jan 1. We would've been better off with 2 ft of snow and colder temps than the swings from 5 to 65 and rain and snow and thawing and freezing.....supposed to get one more "round" coming through tonight into tomorrow, then sun for a few days. Wind is supposed to really get up there though. Been trees down some now, and a few small "mudslides" onto the roads, but flooding is forecast for tonight and tomorrow. Sounds like Price Farm has gotten more than his share too. Here's hoping for a better March.

kenny thomas said:

We are right at 12"