Mud face momma cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":1oshtqu1 said:
Simple your cows have not seen mud in so long she is the only one that remembers what it is.

Thats kinda the way I figure it. I would be happy to see my cows with mud on their face.. because that would mean it has rained enough for them to get it on em.!

Typical female. Just trying to fill in the wrinkles,pores, and cover up the blemishes. Next thing she'll want Botox. The "coke bottles" just means she's started enlargement treatments.

Deepsouth":294u0wv8 said:
Ouachita, strange that you should post this. Sunday afternoon my wife and went to feed the cows and we noticed one had mud all over her face. It was a thick layer completely covering her face and both sides of her head even her ears. Today I noticed mud on her face again not as much as Sunday but It was there. We have probably had 4 inches of rain since Sunday so I'm sure it would have washed off and I didn't notice any on her yesterday. This is a first calf heifer that had her calf the day after Christmas. I have not looked for where she is getting the mud from. I have minerals out and have not noticed mud on any of the other cows that are with which are all also first calf heifers. I didn't pay much attention to it but thought it was strange. I'll pay more action to see if she keeps getting it on her.

I previously said she calved 2 weeks ago. I just looked at my records and it was also day after Christmas. My how time flys. If she's still doing it this weekend, I'll get a picture. It is comical. She's a gray white face, so she might be trying to camoflauge herself. She may know something we don't

Mudfacebull-1.jpg

One of our bulls appears to be fond of mud as well. I took this picture over Christmas 2012.

Ouachita":1kv2rqnp said:
Deepsouth":1kv2rqnp said:
Ouachita, strange that you should post this. Sunday afternoon my wife and went to feed the cows and we noticed one had mud all over her face. It was a thick layer completely covering her face and both sides of her head even her ears. Today I noticed mud on her face again not as much as Sunday but It was there. We have probably had 4 inches of rain since Sunday so I'm sure it would have washed off and I didn't notice any on her yesterday. This is a first calf heifer that had her calf the day after Christmas. I have not looked for where she is getting the mud from. I have minerals out and have not noticed mud on any of the other cows that are with which are all also first calf heifers. I didn't pay much attention to it but thought it was strange. I'll pay more action to see if she keeps getting it on her.

I previously said she calved 2 weeks ago. I just looked at my records and it was also day after Christmas. My how time flys. If she's still doing it this weekend, I'll get a picture. It is comical. She's a gray white face, so she might be trying to camoflauge herself. She may know something we don't

you said it was red clay. so maybe she thinks reds will bring a higher price at the sale barn.

M5farm":1f0649go said:
Ouachita":1f0649go said:
Deepsouth":1f0649go said:

you said it was red clay. so maybe she thinks reds will bring a higher price at the sale barn.

Sometimes people say stuff that catches me by surprise. This was one of those times. I couldn't help but laugh. Thank you for that, I needed it today. Along that train of thought, I had remarked to my wife a few months ago that this old cow may be a short timer here on the ponderocka. It is interesting, a few months ago, she had an odd hitch in her get-along. Wife, kids, and I would be out checking cows and comment on how this old cow might serve our financial interest better if we sold her as a 3 in 1. Maybe the ole girl heard us talking and decided it's time for an extreme makeover LOL. (whatever that hitch in her getalong was got all worked out, so maybe this whole ordeal is much more complicated than I originally percieved it to be? and maybe the ole girl has an I.Q. that surpasses most folks in congress)
I have no idea how old this cow is, but I think she may be the oldest I have. She is SS. She was a part of the herd I bought from my stepmom after my Dad passed away, and she is part of my Grandads stock, which my Dad bought in 2001. I bought that herd in June 2010. This is her third calf on my watch and she is a perfect momma, and has a personable attitude toward humans.
She has never done this mud face bit, so I was curious about what others thought about this. She and calf are perfectly fine. Just meant for this to be an opportunity to learn something, and it has been. Thanks to all of ya.

One of mine has decided in the past couple of weeks she likes the taste of cedar post. They or she has stripped the bark of a number of the fence posts and a few that are laying around! Not sure what to think about that....:(

Latest posts