mucus

Help Support CattleToday:

alberta

Reaction score
hi i new to cows had pigs but my cow has clear with some red mucus and she is very swoled in the back and allso bag is very big but she has bin this way for 3 day is there a prob

If the bloody mucus is the bit which has been the same for three days, the calf is very probably stuck. Get a vet to her ASAP or you may lose her. Three days on, the calf will already have died and the longer you leave it, the worse it'll be.

If the red is "reddish brown" - it might just be normal mucous discharge mixed with some manure. If it is obviously BLOOD, than you need the vet ASAP as already mentioned. Blood is a sign of stress. "Generally" something is wrong.

My cows are due March 15th. One displayed a small amount of clear discharge this morning. Would this be the beginning of the birthing process?

Some cows will have some mucus at some times throughout the latter part of their pregnancies. Unless there's a lot of it, it's probably just the normal part of gearing up for birth in the next couple of months. People have written some quite detailed mucus observations in this forum - do a bit of reading and you'll find out all sorts! :)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":z8nml9gj said:
If the red is "reddish brown" - it might just be normal mucous discharge mixed with some manure. If it is obviously BLOOD, than you need the vet ASAP as already mentioned. Blood is a sign of stress. "Generally" something is wrong.

Got one due in 5 days. Everything is normal, starting to make bag. Red in the mucus. Looks like blood not manure but it's hard to say. She's operating fine. Definitely not in labor. Should I just let it ride till due date?

angus9259":sostqc7c said:
Got one due in 5 days. Everything is normal, starting to make bag. Red in the mucus. Looks like blood not manure but it's hard to say. She's operating fine. Definitely not in labor. Should I just let it ride till due date?

Due date and beyond. Unless he starts acting like there is porblem or goes more then 14 days past due I would just keep an eye on her.

Latest posts