mucus

Help Support CattleToday:

alberta

Reaction score
hi i new to cows had pigs but my cow has clear with some red mucus and she is very swoled in the back and allso bag is very big but she has bin this way for 3 day is there a prob

Probably not. If the mucus is kind of sticky it would be the cevical plug. If it's not sticky and flows it would be the delivery lubricant fluid. If there is a lot of red, like fresh blood, then I would be concerned. If you have a neighbor, friend or vet handy that knows what they're doing you could have them sleeve up and check things out. Otherwise I wpuld leave her a lone and let nature take it's course. Has she had any signs of labor or impending delivery? Restless, seperating herslef from others, off feed, kind of mooing very softly, carrying her tail in the pump handle position, etc.? Those are are sme of the signs of impending delivery. She may have all or none of them, they're just general indicators of what to look for

she has had her tail up and it is sticky and thick the mucus not much red so dose that mean she is close to calfing

How long has she had her tail up and at what angle? Are you disturbing her when you check on her? Generally cows prefer quiet and privacy, repetetive distrubance can delay them getting to the job of calving.

alberta":3oohoq4g said:
still clear mucus and baged to the max

What about the tail position? Has she shown any other of the classical sigbs?

she holding up like when she stool movment but not up all the time off and on

alberta":3a9o5vgu said:
Soounds like just preliminary or very early stages. Geting things loosened up some more and maybe even starting to have the calf in the delivery position. I've4 had them walk around with the tail in the jack handle position for 12 hours before. One did that last year and drove me nuts. As soon as it was dark and she could wander off by herself she squirted it right out.

dun":15al4smc said:
alberta":15al4smc said:
Soounds like just preliminary or very early stages. Geting things loosened up some more and maybe even starting to have the calf in the delivery position. I've4 had them walk around with the tail in the jack handle position for 12 hours before. One did that last year and drove me nuts. As soon as it was dark and she could wander off by herself she squirted it right out.

Funny how they seem to be able to calve when they please. Or when we don't want them to.

We have one in the barn that lost her mucus plug two days ago and is taking her time and that's OK as she is real early anyway.
Looks like you'll have a calf before long. Good luck. Dmc

Jeanne, we had a goat last kidding that lost her cervical plug 13 days before she kidded. :? that was a weird one. The bugger of a thing conned me into bringing it in onto the good feed, cos here I was thinking it ought to be kidding soon.

our goats seem to hold on as long as possible, to get more of the good feed. :lol:

Latest posts