Mowing Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

rowdyred

Reaction score
I've heard its better to cut hay early in the morning because the sugar content in the grass is higher at this time, is this true? Also if its true at what time of the day does its reduce? We have always cut hay all day and into the night at times.

I have always cut in the late afternoon for a more soluble sugar content as per some of my readings on it. But the drawback is losing some curing time. Crude proteins and total digestible nutrients would be more important.

James T":2x16mri4 said:
I have always cut in the late afternoon for a more soluble sugar content as per some of my readings on it. But the drawback is losing some curing time. Crude proteins and total digestible nutrients would be more important.
Your last sentence really says alot, it make more sense. Thanks

I always cut in the afternoon. The plant has time to restore the sugars and other nutrients back to the plant after growing all night because the temperature has cooled off the plant will grow.

i have never cut first thing in the am .. its always been 10am and sometimes 10pm depends on whats going on and my time... I wouldnt be on here typing to yall good folks if my weather forcast would be clear for the next 5 days.. unfortunately really good chance of rain till friday.

Yep, I've read where the sugar and all the good stuff is up in the afternoon or something. I wait till 1 or 2 to start cutting. Get the sweeter stuff. Anybody ever took a bite of morning grass and then an evening bite to see if it taste sweeter. skyhigh, think that's a taste test you should do. Let us all know your findings.

Andy, I did perform a taste test.. I let the cattle test it seems as though they like it better than a snow ball sandwich lol

skyhightree1":17jnvp9m said:
Andy, I did perform a taste test.. I let the cattle test it seems as though they like it better than a snow ball sandwich lol

Yep, straw ball beat a snow ball. That's what I've always heard. :) Most common snow ball here are at a snow ball stand. And them are sweet.

Around here we live by the old adage... "Make Hay While the Sun Shines"! It looks like we finally have some dry days in the forecast so we will start cutting later today.

My preference would be to start cutting later in the afternoon, but a lot of it depends on the weather forecast and how much time we have to cure the hay.

Good luck to all who will be cutting hay soon!!!

AndyL":bzk05mgp said:
skyhightree1":bzk05mgp said:

Yep, straw ball beat a snow ball. That's what I've always heard. :) Most common snow ball here are at a snow ball stand. And them are sweet.

Andy does it snow down there at all ?

skyhightree1":2jb1d1b8 said:
AndyL":2jb1d1b8 said:
skyhightree1":2jb1d1b8 said:

Andy does it snow down there at all ?

Snow here is rare. We'll see flakes coming down at times, but as far as it sticking on the ground is seldom seen.

over the years weve cut hay at varous times of the day an nite depending on what was going on.

I've always started cutting at 11am or later depending on the size of the field. Here in Texas drying time is not the problem, lack of rain is the problem.

I like to cut at night . The dew makes the grass heavier and it seems to cut better . But I usually just cut when I have time .

I usually cut after the dew is gone, but if it's a really humid day that's going to take until after 12 noon to dry, I will go ahead and cut as I ted it afterwards anyway. If I wait until noon to start then I have lost half a day of drying time. I admit dcarp that for the past three years rain hasn't been a problem here in Texas but over the last 25 years that extra half a day has allowed me to bale earlier and miss getting my hay wet quit a few times.
Speaking of rain, here in north Texas on the TX/OK border, April we got only 3". So far in May 6.97". All ponds are full and overflowing and the creek is running. :)

Latest posts