mow or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

pbnewbie

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my very first post, so please be patient.

I inherited a ranch under very difficult circumstances this year and I will be operating it on my own. I know very little about anything to do with ranches, but I have been studying a lot. The ranch is not currently stocked with cattle. I will be restocking within a month, hopefully. My question is should I continue to allow the grass to grow high, or go ahead and mow it? I can't mow the outback because there's just too much, but the 15 acres or so around the house I can handle with my zero mower. I just don't know if I should let it get high or not. It's mostly bermuda with lots of clover. Is higher grass better for the cattle? What is confusing me is that I heard something about you shouldn't let it go to seed...

Thanks.

If the grass is native winter grasses, they will go to seed in a few weeks. I will start mowing mine next week so as to get some sun to the coastal bermuda so that it will start growing better and to keep the stuff from going to seed. Every spring the winter grass chokes out my coastal.

pbnewbie":3h9g7au8 said:
Hi all,

This is my very first post, so please be patient.

I inherited a ranch under very difficult circumstances this year and I will be operating it on my own. I know very little about anything to do with ranches, but I have been studying a lot. The ranch is not currently stocked with cattle. I will be restocking within a month, hopefully. My question is should I continue to allow the grass to grow high, or go ahead and mow it? I can't mow the outback because there's just too much, but the 15 acres or so around the house I can handle with my zero mower. I just don't know if I should let it get high or not. It's mostly bermuda with lots of clover. Is higher grass better for the cattle? What is confusing me is that I heard something about you shouldn't let it go to seed...

Thanks.

I don't have any experience with Bermuda grass but, generally speaking, the higher the grass gets the less palatable it is to the cattle because it tends to get tough.

It depends on how high it is now. Bermuda doesnt get too high, and neither does clover. If you do decide to cut.. dont cut too short...
I have had a pasture grow up late summer with 4ft tall Johnson grass.. and let the cows in.. they eat it like candy, right down to a nub in some cases..

thanks for the responses:)

The grass seems to be about 7 inches or so high because it's above the highest setting on my mower, which is 5 inches. I forgot about the palatability for cattle, so that's a good point. I'll be glad to finally get cattle back on my land.

cut it when the tips start to brown off. cut about 1/2 way down. seeding is okay. to fill in.
the problem if its thick will be the cutings will choke off the undergowth. unless you can let it dry and blow it into rows with yer zero turn to burn if you cant bale it.

wish i had yer problem...the grass i mean.

the cutings will choke off the undergowth

yeah, I found this out early on. I've started cutting it at the highest setting on my mower now. I'm anxious to get cattle back on the ranch, but I have to get a myriad of details finished before I can do that.

JRM, I'm in North East Texas. No one has ever asked to cut my horse pasture for hay. They have asked to cut other areas for hay, so I'm thinking it must not be what they are looking for. I need to schedule an appointment with the ag guy to have him tell me about my pastures. The horse pasture has TONS of clover - very thick and lush. I know that clovers put nitrogen in the soil, but that's about all I know about it. I've already cut it on almost a weekly basis for about 6 weeks now. But, since I'm getting ready to put on cattle, I was wondering if I should continue that.

pbnewbie":1uljp2bk said:
The horse pasture has TONS of clover - very thick and lush. I know that clovers put nitrogen in the soil, but that's about all I know about it. I've already cut it on almost a weekly basis for about 6 weeks now. But, since I'm getting ready to put on cattle, I was wondering if I should continue that.

Clover is a legume, and legumes can cause bloat. I would strongly suggest you consider putting out anti-bloat blocks for the cattle you plan on turning into the horse pasture. Whether you need/have to continue mowing is going to depend on the size of the pasture and the number of cattle you're going to turn into it, but I suspect they will scarf it down and mowing will not be an issue.

Another possible issue is that you do not want to turn any foundered/laminitis horses out in this pasture. Clover can cause them to tip into founder again.

Clover is a legume, and legumes can cause bloat.

Thanks for the heads up. One of my upcoming projects is to go through and identify every plant I have on the property. I have several different types of clover, grasses, weeds, etc...It looks nice and lush, but like you said, it might not be the best mix for cattle.

pbnewbie":fnuogbfu said:
Clover is a legume, and legumes can cause bloat.

Thanks for the heads up. One of my upcoming projects is to go through and identify every plant I have on the property. I have several different types of clover, grasses, weeds, etc...It looks nice and lush, but like you said, it might not be the best mix for cattle.

Typically, clover(and legumes in general) are very good grazing for cattle - you just need to be aware of the tendency to cause bloat and put out anti-bloat blocks is all. I believe you will find that the benefits of the clover far outweigh the cost of the anti-bloat blocks.

Latest posts