Moving up Fall Calvers ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":1wfmv9kw said:
Nesikep":1wfmv9kw said:
Around here calving in july and august can be really hard on the calves if the mother doesn't have LOTS of milk, the calf will overheat and dehydrate quickly. With a good momma I haven't had any problems though, Had 3 in july/august this year and it was hot, but none of them had any trouble whatsoever.

About 10% of my cows calve later - - usually because they have SH or stein in the wood pile and they are heavy milkers.
These heavy milkers wean an average sized calf even though it was born late.
I care more about the weaning wt than the calving window.

I also care about WW more than calving window, but I certainly appreciate getting it over and done with!
The one heifer that calved in july bred back in 5 weeks this time.. I have no idea why she wasn't on time for her first calf, but she's doing a good job with it, as long as she keeps breeding back well I'll chalk it up to the bull that wasn't doing his job (he's gone now, he was 8). If she fumbles again she'll be gone though. A general rule of thumb for me is they ought to have calved by the time I'm releasing the bull again.

Now that my herd is at capacity, I'll get more fussy about WW and breeding windows.. but first I have 3 prolapse cows to go which will be this coming year. I think that might be the last of the prolapses, which is a big relief to be able to start concentrating on other traits

Cows went high at the dispersal. I ended up with 10 older cows with June/July/August calving dates. Many of my pastures are stocker quality so older or broken mouth or late cows usually move up.