Moving up calving / AI synchronization

Help Support CattleToday:

gberry

Reaction score
We are getting ready to AI. This year we had a few stragglers that barely made it in our breeding window. They calved about 3 weeks ago and I haven't seen them in heat, yet. We plan to start synchronizing the cows this weekend. I am wondering if anyone here has suggestions for synchronizing these later calvers. Is it a waste of time to try? If not, are there any protocols you would suggest?

In a related question, does anyone use 48 hour calf removal with their synchronization protocol? Have you noticed improved conception? I have found some references that suggest ~ 8% improvement in conception rates and will likely try it this year as it wouldn't be too inconvenient for us.

Thanks for any replies.

I ask the same thing to the local synch guru about moving some up. He said with the GnRH,CIDR/Lute protocol that they should be at least 45 dasy post calving. We're working our next week and all of the late cows I'll just hit with GnRH and a week later with lute then wait for a normal heat. We did that 20 some odd years ago and about half settled.

GnRH and Lutalyse is the protocol we were planning to use. I know some cows who aren't cycling will come in with this protocol, but didn't know if there was anything more reliable or if it was a total waste of time and money for cows less than a month from calving. If I could get 90%+ to settle to first service AI like you do, I would be less concerned. Best we've done to single service is about 60-65%. Of course, I'm doing the insemination and that probably limits our success.

I've had a few that cycled quickly after calving. Let them go on the first heat and gave them some Estrumate 10 days later and they all took (haven't done this much). I don't think you will have much luck with cows that haven't had one good heat to flush the system out prior to any attempts at syncing.

On a side note, I talked to my Select Sires rep the other day and he said they typically see conception rates around 65-70% on synchronized cows. I would have thought it should be higher for professionals but maybe guys like dun are just that good!

Some folks are obviously better than others, but most of the literature shows about 50-60% with estrus synchronization. I think Dun breeds on natural heats, but I just don't have enough time to watch for heats, round up and AI twice a day for 21 days.

gberry":2jbbz4pl said:
Some folks are obviously better than others, but most of the literature shows about 50-60% with estrus synchronization. I think Dun breeds on natural heats, but I just don't have enough time to watch for heats, round up and AI twice a day for 21 days.
Correct

Jeanne - Simme Valley":23b4pb38 said:
We breed on natural heats, been doing it for 40 years, and we do NOT get 90% 1st service conception. that's pretty darn awesome.

I agree.

my goal for several years has been 70% single service conception. wait two weeks and turn out our home raised cleanup bulls. limit the breeding season and select for fertility.

The phd's say that fertility is not highly heritable but I have seen enough anecdotal evidence to believe that if selected for, it shows positive results.

synchrony drugs will aid in moving cattle up even if they do not cycle well and breed to the AI. I would say that 30 days post partum I have induced heats with synchrony. I am not a synchorny professional and my reputation is not on the line so I can say I have done it at 30 days but would agree that longer is better.

I have become a big believer that presynchrony has a lot of benefit. for several years i resynced nonresponders and bred them on time with very good results.

pdfangus":211dts8w said:
The phd's say that fertility is not highly heritable but I have seen enough anecdotal evidence to believe that if selected for, it shows positive results.
They also claim that you cannot geneticly select for fescue tolerance. Persoanly I think they're wrong on both counts. My old mentor believed that you could select for anything if you pressured it enough. I don;t have the 70 years of experience that he had but I agree with him. Fertile cows that get fat and stay fat and raise good calves while breedign back first service year after year has made a believer of me.

I AGREE WITH BOTH.

there can be little doubt at this juncture that some cattle withstand fescue and its endophyte problems better than others.

Over time the adapted cows will sort themselves to the top if management will allow it.

cattle should be selected to perform in the environment they will live in.

One reason I like to raise replacements rather than buy them. the other is that I get the benfit of any genetic improvement through all the AI breeding, rather than shipping it all off to the feed yard.

pdfangus":2j1dxafm said:
One reason I like to raise replacements rather than buy them. the other is that I get the benfit of any genetic improvement through all the AI breeding, rather than shipping it all off to the feed yard.
Couldn;t agree more!

dun":2juvodjx said:
pdfangus":2juvodjx said:
Couldn;t agree more!
I agree also. What synch protocol do you use or do you think they are all about the same as far as moving up your breeding season?

gberry":3sg8kwpc said:
dun":3sg8kwpc said:
pdfangus":3sg8kwpc said:
Couldn;t agree more!
I agree also. What synch protocol do you use or do you think they are all about the same as far as moving up your breeding season?
The only "synch protocol" we use is a shot of GnRH followed 7 days later by a shot of Lute. We'll do it to a copule of odd ball calvers this year but we haven;t used it for 4-5 years.

Latest posts