Moving Round Bales

Help Support CattleToday:

I purchased the Bale Buster and I'm happy with the purchase.

Here are some of my observations:

1. The assembly instructions did not match the parts I was sent. Clearly the product has been changed and the instructions never updated.

2. I would have used pins instead of bolts to form the pivot joints.

3. They sent an eye bolt to attach to the top end of the pivot arm. The bolt was too short and didn't have enough threads to tighten properly. I'm going to weld on my own attachment point (like the original instructions show).

4. One of the uprights had a small "burr" on one end that prevented the piece from sliding into place. It only took a few minutes with my hand grinder to correct this problem.

5. The winch is usable (1200 lb capacity) but does seem a bit lightweight when I'm staring at a 1600lb bale. I'm thinking of using a low cost 12V winch.

6. It takes a bit of practice backing up to a bale as the trailer is well below the sight line of my one ton truck. The trailer has a rather short wheelbase which causes you to "chase" it around a bit. I found it easier to leave the spear in the upright position so I can see where I'm backing, then stop and lower the spear for the final few feet. Maybe you could add some bicycle flags to the trailer to allow for better positioning?

7. The pivot arm that the bale rest upon (when in the loaded position) pentrates into the bale which makes it nearly impossible to place the locking pin in place to lock the pivot for traveling. I haven't figured out a solution to this one yet.

8. The bale Buster is light enough to move by hand but I think I'm going to add a hitch stand to the front end to prevent the hitch from laying on the ground when not in use. I also thought it would be nice to store the unit already backed up and spearing the next bale. Without a hitch stand however, it was impossible to lift the Bale Buster off my truck hitch as the spears (and the weight of the bale) prevent me from lifting the trailer hitch off the ball.

Hope you find this "mini" review helpful. The Bale Buster is a great idea and works as advertised. I just think there are a few things that could be improved on.

<Edited to add some of the positives>

1. The unit was shipped in two cardboard boxes. The pieces were all very well wrapped and perfectly powder coated. The tires were delivered strink-wapped together. UPS delivered it directly to my farm.

2. The square tubing all feels like it is heavy enough to do the job. The spear is very heavy.

3. Even when transporting a very heavy bale, the unit was very stable. I don't know how it might feel on the back of a 4 wheeler however.

4. Loading and unloading a bale only took a few minutes.

Jerry

I have a 30 hp Mahindra diesel and move 1500-1800# bales with a 48" 3 prong bale spear on the 3pt hitch with ease. I just push them off the trailer with the bucket, backup and go.

Cheers,

On the 125 HP Massey I have the bucket spear as well as a 3 point lift for hauling bales around the farm.

But I have to haul them across the county to the house for cows there. I've got a home made bale buggy and it is great. Does the job when I need to move a bale on the highway.

A buddy of mine has the truck bed lift and it is all hydraulic. He never gets out of the truck. He backs up to the bale, lifts it with remote switch, and drives off. It is really nice. Don't know how many nickels he spent but he can move single bales across pastures really fast. He can also run up and down the highway in a hurry.

Just an update on my experience with the Bale Buster.

1. They bale spear was not a solid piece of stock and bent on a heavy bale

2. I had to have all the joints welded to keep it from flexing and coming apart.

3. I bent the tow bar backing into a bale that was frozen to the ground last year.

4. The welds on the small spears (that keep the bale from spinning) broke at the welds.

5. The pivot pins on the unit are built from bolts with lock nuts. I would have used a solid pins.

In summary, the idea is very solid. The problem is it just wasn't built from heavy enough materials and here is my guess why it was built this way.

A) It is my understanding that round bales in Canada are not as heavy as those found in the States. (This device was designed in Canada and built by a company in Iowa)

B) The whole thing ships via UPS in pieces that were then bolted together.

That being said...after I had the local metal shop "rebuild" the unit it works great. I use it to move bales on the highway from farms located 5 miles apart. I took a chance and bought a solid spear for my compact tractor and have found it works fine on bales as long as you go "low and slow".

Please PM me if I can answer any other questions.

JH

A spear or fork on the rear should work ok since you have a FEL which is as good or better than weights on the front. If extra weight is needed, like a half load in the bucket, then the tractor maybe too light but it would appear to handle the bales on the rear ok.

I have used the tumble bug one year when my hay burned ( two haylots are better that one, trust me) and I hauled hay about 20 plus miles for a while when I decided that drive was too much trouble as I needed to make 3 round trips for about a weeks worth of hay so Saturdays got real hectic. The tumble bug worked really well on the truck and would likely easily allow a smaller tractor to handle large heavy bales safely.

Only have 2 cows, so the bale buster sounded good to me. I call myself a non-driver. Put something behind my truck and I had best just go forward. We do square bales now because of the hassle of round bales. But the cost is like out there with this devise for a small operation like ours, and with everyone's review of revamping. . . makes you think. However, our neighbor can make whatever out of trash and does a good job. Old boat trailer and old round whatever, great grill to tow behind! Had local orders waiting when he could find the stuff to make it with. Guess the price was right and he made some too. Weld away he can, and improvise he is a professional. I will show him these ideas and see what comes. Great idea for the small farm or little wife like me!

Latest posts