Moving Confederate Statues

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for them. Things will cycle back around when the going get's tough.

Txpiney":3eqsnog0 said:
People trying to erase history. Some try to remember

Agree. You have to erase it before you can replace it.

Maybe we should question how much has already been erased if generations previous thought the statues important enough to make, yet our current climate deems them heinous and there is very little push back- especially from the younger crowd.

Maybe we don't really know what it is that we think we know...

Fieldhand":n3aj9spi said:
Txpiney":n3aj9spi said:

Maybe we should question how much has already been erased if generations previous thought the statues important enough to make, yet our current climate deems them heinous and there is very little push back- especially from the younger crowd.

So what are we going to replace it with? Male statues with man buns?

Txpiney":s82iz5h6 said:

This situation was not about erasing history. It is too long a story to tell but this was more about "where" they should be displayed, not erasing them.

slick4591":1kbwzgbs said:
Fieldhand":1kbwzgbs said:
Txpiney":1kbwzgbs said:

So what are we going to replace it with? Male statues with man buns?

In today's world? Good chance of that I'm afraid. Or people in with bandannas over their faces breaking windows.

Just to be clear, I agree that people are trying to erase history, not that it should happen.

I am surprised this isn't locked yet the irony is the people wearing the white hoods erected them. The people wearing the black mask are using them to enslave people again. Same tactics same political affiliation just changed uniform color.

Caustic Burno":ykbekdqz said:
...the irony is the people wearing the white hoods erected them.

Not true in this case:

John Hunt Morgan Memorial
With the help of the state government of Kentucky, the United Daughters of the Confederacy erected the monument on October 18, 1911 on what was then the courthouse lawn. The bronze statue was cast in Brooklyn, New York, at a cost of $15,000. The state of Kentucky contributed $7,500 of the cost because the UDC was unable to raise all of the funds promised.

John C. Breckinridge Memorial
The memorial was done by New York's Henry-Bonnard Bronze Company. The pedestal is made of granite, with the statue done in bronze. Breckinridge is seen standing contraposto. The state government of Kentucky funded the construction of the monument.

Breckinridge's memorial was built in 1887, 24 years before the John Hunt Morgan Memorial, also on the courthouse lawn and part of the Civil War Monuments of Kentucky MPS.

Caustic Burno":jg50pg37 said:
I am surprised this isn't locked yet

2018- >100 = 1940 or 1950?

If common core math is going to be central to the discussion, I'm going to have to agree.

Fieldhand":183t1sml said:
Caustic Burno":183t1sml said:

If common core math is going to be central to the discussion, I'm going to have to agree.

I stand corrected.

"The vast majority of them were built between the 1890s and 1950s, which matches up exactly with the era of Jim Crow segregation."

sstterry":2hugwjph said:
Fieldhand":2hugwjph said:
Caustic Burno":2hugwjph said:

I stand corrected.

"The vast majority of them were built between the 1890s and 1950s, which matches up exactly with the era of Jim Crow segregation."
https://www.history.com/news/how-the-u-s-got-so-many-confederate-monuments

Obviously the only logical thing would have been to put them up before the war. Or during the reconstruction when the communities had the space after the fires burned several to the ground.

Good thing the Southern Poverty Law Firm was able to make the correlation that anything erected during the times of Jim Crow laws, must with out a doubt be related to those laws.

I'm sure the SPLF is correct. The men who fought probably had a devious plan to wait until the Jim Crow laws were enacted and then and only then to demand that statues of themselves be erected.

My God grab me a hammer!

Wonder what the same graph would look like in regards to WW2? Be weird if the kids of the men who fought thought it important to honor their fathers....

Bright Raven":38399458 said:
Txpiney":38399458 said:

This situation was not about erasing history. It is too long a story to tell but this was more about "where" they should be displayed, not erasing them.
Great move by the state. Now you can go to one location and see the old general's grave and his commemorative statue all at the same time. AND if they were ever in the history books they are still there. :lol2:

TexasBred":1szati9q said:
Bright Raven":1szati9q said:
Txpiney":1szati9q said:

Great move by the state. Now you can go to one location and see the old general's grave and his commemorative statue all at the same time. AND if they were ever in the history books they are still there. :lol2:

Richard:

I would rather sit and watch CB catch a grinnell than see a statue of one of these old Generals sitting on his rocking horse.

wbvs58":34camhns said:
Beautifull statue Ron. Is it bronze?

Ken

It really is. The one shown in the link is Thomas Hunt Morgan:

The bronze statue was cast in Brooklyn, New York, at a cost of $15,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts