moving cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

When moving cattle from one pasture to another and not having any way to make a walking area( about 600 feet ) from where they are now, is their an easy way to do this if the cattle( 6 total ) dont want to cooperate. I moved then where they are now in a trailer and that was not a good way to do it and where they are now i dont have a corral. Any suggestions or ways to keep them from bolting. Thye are not rowdy or the kind that will be a problem....i just cautious.

A bucket of grain. That's how the two of us move our's back and forth across the county road.

That's why we cake year-round. Not as much or often in the summer, but enough where they never forget what that bucket sounds like when it's rattling. Six cows will follow you 600 feet if you're shaking a bucket. Unless one of them is a fool. Then you need to hire a cowboy to pen her – in the trailer.

Craig-TX

Since they aren't bucket broke. A single strand of polywire and a fence charger for each side of an route across the pasture or what ever. After they get lit up a couple of times by the hotwire you won't need to put a charger to the wire, just put it up and get them started.

dun

WHATS THE AVERAGE WEIGHTS FOR SIMBRAH BULLS AT 2 YEARS, ALSO HERFIER SAME AGE ..
JOE

Get them broke to a good dog-- Then you can go anywhere with them.
Last week I Took my neighbors heifers back-- up the highway for three miles.Had to turn them back out of every driveway we passed- and they weren't even broke to a dog(although this was the third time in the last 6 months!!!!).
Karen

Howdyjabo":1o2uqiv2 said:
Get them broke to a good dog-- Then you can go anywhere with them.
Last week I Took my neighbors heifers back-- up the highway for three miles.Had to turn them back out of every driveway we passed- and they weren't even broke to a dog(although this was the third time in the last 6 months!!!!).
Karen

if you're going to do this, it would help to have a dog that's broke to cattle.

You can also set up a short section of wire and put power to it set up to block their usual way to get to water. Leave an opening and they'll catch on pretty quick. Then when you need to move them all you will really need is some white string down either side.

dun

Anonymous":b6qz37o4 said:
[email protected]":b6qz37o4 said:
WHATS THE AVERAGE WEIGHTS FOR SIMBRAH BULLS AT 2 YEARS, ALSO HERFIER SAME AGE ..
JOE
Joe a bull with enough growth on about all the feed they can stand should weigh 100 lbs per month through a year of age . They should weigh a ton at two.

I would suggest using horses, if they are available. For six head for 600ft it just doesn't seem necessary to fence them or to try to use feed to get them moved. Just an ordinary horse will take you about 30 minutes if the cattle are pretty gentle.

JOE TORREZ":3rjvbmz5 said:
Anonymous":3rjvbmz5 said:
[email protected]":3rjvbmz5 said:
JOE
Joe specificaly I know of no average weight published by the Simbrah association. That would vary drastically from herd to herd. They should weigh close to what I said being fed hard. Heifers should be about 900 pound yearlings I guess. Can you be more specific of the conditions?

Noooooo Joe don't log off on me now . I could die tonight and never know the answer!!!!!!!!!!!

OLLIE,THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION. I JUST WANTED TO SEE IF IM ON THE RIGHT TRACK . MY BULL CURRENTLY WEIGHTS APPROX 1800 POUNDS ,AND EACH TIME I SEE HIM IT LOOKS HE's GETTING BIGGER. YET ON THE OTHER HAND THE HERFIER ARE APPROX 1200- 1300 PROUNDS. I STARTED THE SIMBRAH BREED 2 -1/2 YEARS AGO WITH 12

THANKS JOE TORREZ