Moving Cattle Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

creekdrive

Reaction score
Thought I would share some pictures taken over the last few weeks while moving cows.
Our cows are pretty easy to move. Just pull in with the feed truck and they usually come running. We have a quad (or two, depending on how many head we are moving and if we are crossing any major roads etc.) to follow them up and just make sure everything keeps moving.

This first group of pictures was taken the last part of October. One of the last nice days we had before the snow came.
A 3 mile walk with roughly 40 pairs.
IMG_4855sm.jpg

IMG_4822sm.jpg

IMG_4810sm.jpg

Moving a group of cows/bred heifers to swath grazing. This was a 2 1/2 mile walk and the weather was crappy so instead of riding the quad I just drove a truck. :lol: 84 head in this group. The cows had bull calves that were weaned the 6th of October and they had been on stubble/pasture up to this point. Other than my Speckle Parks and ten or so commercial bred heifers these are all purebred Angus cows.
IMG_4950sm.jpg

IMG_4952sm.jpg

IMG_4957sm.jpg

IMG_4962sm.jpg

IMG_4965sm.jpg

Walking another group of about 70 Red & Black Angus cows (& a few bred heifers) to swath grazing. Most of these girls had heifer calves that were weaned 5 days prior to these pictures. Just about a 3 mile walk for this group as well. I wussed out and used a truck again on this move ;-) Not ready for winter weather quite yet!
IMG_5028sm.jpg

IMG_5051sm.jpg

IMG_5060sm.jpg

IMG_5069sm.jpg

turning the corner at the end of the move into their swath grazing.

Our commercial cows went to another piece of swath grazing - I didn't take any pictures as it was just a short 3/4 mile walk and went by pretty quickly. We try to walk our cows as much as we can. Much easier than getting them all in the corrals and making multiple trips back and forth with the trailers. Spring and summer we can't do it much as there is a lot of cropland with no fence around it and although our cows very rarely stray from the feed truck we don't like to risk it. Come fall once the crops are off there isn't near as much to worry about.

Thanks for letting me share!

Thanks for sharing, no way could I do that here. Some asshole from Houston would be doing 70 mph down our little backroad and plow into me or my cows and then sue me for being in his way :roll:

5S Cattle":2skutgwo said:
Thanks for sharing, no way could I do that here. Some be nice from Houston would be doing 70 mph down our little backroad and plow into me or my cows and then sue me for being in his way :roll:

One advantage to living out in the boonies! Moving cattle this way is pretty common in this area. There is also not really much for traffic on any of our roads. Mostly just a few locals and if they see cows coming they will usually just turn around and go a different route if they are in a hurry.
On the 3 moves pictured we met 1 vehicle total and they pulled into an approach and waited till we went by. The odd guy will try and drive through the cows which is usually fine too if they do it slowly. If they try honking the horn that can create issues as our cows are used to being called with the horn and it usually results in them swarming the vehicle that is honking and not moving on until they realize that no grain is going to come from the strange vehicle.
In the 5th picture you can see the feed truck has moved way ahead of the cows to the top of the hill so that nobody comes over the hill and meets the truck/cows with no warning. I usually do the same at the back end of the group when going down a hill. Usually once a year sometimes twice we have to cross a highway while moving cows. We always have signs set up and somebody stopping traffic while we are crossing the highway.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the pictures.

Unfortunately they might be the last pictures I share for awhile as my camera decided to bite the dust the other day. :cry: It's taken literally hundreds of thousands of pictures so I guess it served me well. Now I just have to wait for a free day so i can get up to the city in order to replace it.

Neat pictures. We used to move one group about 7/10 of a mile from one pasture to another on a dirt road and had people asking to come help block roads and driveways. We lost one of the pastures this year so no more cattle drives. Everything else is too close to major roads that people drive way too fast and no patience either. The cows used to practically run knowing they were going to new grass and we always kept a couple in that group that had done it before so they just headed out. We always had small calves with them though so it took a few more people to make sure the little ones didn't get off the road into some other grass.

Thought I'd add some more cattle moving pictures from this past Monday! Just walking from one piece of swath grazing to another. About a 3 mile walk.

IMG_0365sm.jpg

just out the gate and still all grouped together. Hard to believe there is 170 or so cows in this picture - doesn't look like it when they are all grouped up tight.

IMG_0369sm.jpg

Up & Over the hill. They are already starting to spread out.

IMG_0376sm.jpg

IMG_0385sm.jpg

a few had to go investigate the stubble and see if maybe there was anything tasty to eat out there.

IMG_0406sm.jpg

Coming down the hill. They are spread out over 1/2 a mile long here. The first power pole on the right hand side of the picture is the quarter line and you can see the ones at the front have already turned the corner.

IMG_0419sm.jpg

Getting spread even further apart! I was just a bit past the quarter line when I took this picture. The ones at the back were really in no hurry to move anywhere quickly this day. They were quite happy picking grass in the ditch and making me get in & out of the truck to keep them moving. Would have probably gone a little quicker if I had taken the quad as they have a little more respect for it. They know I'm not going to give them a bump in the a** with the truck whereas the quad I might ;-)

IMG_0459sm.jpg

at their destination!

Enjoyed the pictures, sure hope you get another camera soon I think all of us enjoy seeing your photos. Those speckled Parks look good from what I could tell how did they do with their calves?

Gizmom

gizmom":2db3t1qk said:
Enjoyed the pictures, sure hope you get another camera soon I think all of us enjoy seeing your photos. Those speckled Parks look good from what I could tell how did they do with their calves?

Gizmom

I did manage to manage to get up to the city last week and buy a new camera! The last set of pictures was taken with the new camera.
The speckles won't calve until end of March/April. Still a few more months but I'm getting pretty excited

Latest posts