Moving cattle across state lines

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What are the laws about moving cattle across state lines? My dad has offered me a few of his spring calves. Is there someone we need to contact before doing this? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Melissa

BTW - He lives in Tennessee and I live in Texas

As long as they are calves it should not be a problem, but would be a good idea to check with your Dad's vet to see what the rules are for exporting cattle out of Tennessee. Here in Texas we have to have clean Bangs and TB test withing 30 days of export. But calves are exempt from the rules I believe. Tennessee probably just requires TB test.

But once again the easy thing to do is have your Dad call his vet.

MelissaTX":2ug6aoa5 said:
What are the laws about moving cattle across state lines? My dad has offered me a few of his spring calves. Is there someone we need to contact before doing this? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Melissa

cherokeeruby":26lz6owg said:
As long as they are calves it should not be a problem, but would be a good idea to check with your Dad's vet to see what the rules are for exporting cattle out of Tennessee. Here in Texas we have to have clean Bangs and TB test withing 30 days of export. But calves are exempt from the rules I believe. Tennessee probably just requires TB test.

But once again the easy thing to do is have your Dad call his vet.

MelissaTX":26lz6owg said:

Thanks,

Melissa

Just to be on the safe side, check with the Texas vets. You may have to confirm age.

Hi Melissa!
Texas is in process of re-gaining its TB free status.

Generally, cattle moved across state lines need a Veterinarian's Health Certificate issued which verifies that the animal has been tested within 30 days to be TB and Brucellosis free, as well as doesn't display any obvious symptoms of illness, disease, etc. The TB test requires innoculation with a Tuberculin in the caudal fold of the tail and then the Vet "reads" the site within 72 hours. If the animal comes from a state that has TB and Brucellolis free status, then the Vet will note this on the Certificate. Also, if the Herd that the animal comes from is a certified free herd, then the state certification number for that herd will be entered on the Vet Certificate.

It is also advisable that any animal crossing state lines have their regular vaccinations current along with a current de-worming. This is just additional insurance that the incoming animal has current health status.

After arrival, it is recommended that the new animal be quarantined at the person's (new owner's) facility for at least a week or two so the new owner can observe the animal for any illness or other physical problems. Then, the new animal is gradually introduced to the other animals--first across the fence, then physically in the area with the others. If the purchased animal is shipped with other animals destined for other buyers, then it is recommended that your animals be vaccinated for respiratory diseases and other "shipping" type conditions. I would also recommend de-worming any new arrivals with an injectible wormer such as Dectomax, Ivomec, or Ivermectin related compounds.

Hope this info helps! Good luck!
Bill

Thanks so much for the helpful info!

Running Arrow Bill, thanks so much for all the detailed info. It was exactly what I was looking for. I am a newbie but I am wanting to raise a few steers just for my families consumption.

Thanks Again,
Melissa