moving baled hay off pasture when ground is wet

Help Support CattleToday:

katcoon

Reaction score
I have a query here for those with more knowledge than I.

I have a gentleman that bales our pasture and leaves the bales and equipment on our land throughout the year. When he needs a bale or sales one he comes and gets one. The only way to access the bales is through our front lawn, which leaves rutts sp? in the lawn. I was told this past week that there is some sort of law or something that states after Sept 1 a person can not remove these bales if they have to go through lawn (or something to that matter). Now we have been kinda crazy and although this man to bale our brome for a good five or six years without ever receiving any actual money. When we first agreed, he was using the same square baler and was suppose to leaves us ten bales. That happen one time. He baled a few times a year with the square baler and about two years ago bought a large round baler. He gets about 20 bales a couple times a year and leaves us nothing. We do not know his name or where he even lives. His machinary is on our property including the old stuff.
Well now we still have nine jumbo round bales out on our pasture and had a few days of soaking rain.
The police (OK long story) said the hay is ours.
How do we know the laws, or what to do.
No paperwork ever, just the original agreement of ten bales which we received once, or maybe a second time. No agreement to storing equipment here or anything else.
You see the story is now we have some horses and we have been buying hay. The folks around us tell us that we can use that hay.
What would you do? i can't locate the guy to offer to buy and it is on my land.Nine big bales would sure feed my horses supplemented with grain. Right now the horses are eating the pasture.
Ok what a book. someday i may become a writer but for now I need some good advice.
Thank you all who took the time to read this and offer you advice to a first time horse person or farm person whatever.
Can they move the brome across my lawn during these months?
Do you think the brome is mine? Maybe some? I have possession.

I bale hay on other people's property all the time and would never think of crossing someone's lawn in wet times. Is there a way that you can lock him out til you can talk to him? I say the hay is yours as long as he has not given you any.

Yeah, if you don't have any contact info for the guy, lock him out and he'll find you soon enough. You really need to clarify that agreement IMHO. And for the record, I'd not want the responsibility and liability of someone's equipment sitting in my pasture all year, especially someone I hardly knew and couldn't contact. :2cents:

Can't speak for any of the "legal" issues, check with you local and state authorities for the specifics in your state/county. From a landowner standpoint you NEED to revise your agreement with this guy and get it in writing. Until then I would be sure there was no way for him to access the bales and rut up your lawn until you talk to the guy and come to an agreement about when and how he can remove any or all of the bales. We used to lease out some of our land for hay to a neighbor and we set very specific rules about when and how he could get the hay (ie waiting for firm ground after heavy rains) and we had dates set as to when all equipt and hay must be removed. I would suggest before you use any of the hay check to see that is not moldy/dusty from being stored outside...if it is then I would be very careful feeding it to horses, they are very sensitive to such hay and the last thing you want is a horse with the heaves.

Good Luck

If the hay is good I would use it. Next year I would not let the man cut another inch. He would be done in my book. Give someone an inch and they take a mile. Take some pictures of your yard now. Tell him to stay out because you do not want him rutting up your yard. And if and when he returns to load hay take pictures of him tearing up your front yard if for no other reason than to get him thinking about what he is doing. Toting a shot gun does wonders too.

for one it's your hay on your property use it . For second his equipment is on your property without your permission ,he's tresspassing . Is there a neighbor that may know this fellows name ? He needs to be contacted to get is stuff off your land or it will be turned over to the sheriff . If you cann't get the guys name ,turn it over to the sheriff . I would get the hay stacked and seccure in case this fellow just happens to drop by . He's already taken advantage of you don't let him have another chance . Don't make another deal he's done.

i cant believe all this call the cops pussy bullsheet advice.i cant stand cop callers.it sounds as if both parties involved have been lax with what is expected from each other.find out who the guy is and simply call him and express your concerns to him.if u want some of the hay in return just tell him that and if he says no then let him know you are no longer interested in doing business with him.as for the equipment let him know you want it gone and giv him a reasonable amount of time to move it.i'm sure if u ask around u can find out who the guy is and a way to contact him.i just dont see the need to immediately call the cops and turn it into a nasty ordeal.

piedmontese":16gacx64 said:
i cant believe all this call the cops be nice bullsheet advice.i cant stand cop callers.it sounds as if both parties involved have been lax with what is expected from each other.find out who the guy is and simply call him and express your concerns to him.if u want some of the hay in return just tell him that and if he says no then let him know you are no longer interested in doing business with him.as for the equipment let him know you want it gone and giv him a reasonable amount of time to move it.i'm sure if u ask around u can find out who the guy is and a way to contact him.i just dont see the need to immediately call the cops and turn it into a nasty ordeal.

I agree 100%.
It is the whiner's fault from jump street the minute a rut was made or the hay deal wasn't what he thought he should have hollered Whoa.

I was baleing a field one time for a fellow on halves, while I was baleing a truck showed up with a float.
He was fixing to load up hay. I ask what he was doing, he said the owner had called him and sold him fifty rolls.
I told him I am not baleing and counting hay at the same time and there isn't a 100 rolls on this field.
I guess the baler had spit out about fifteen roll's I shut it down and called the owner his reply was it kicked out a 100 last year and he had sold this fellow 50 rolls, I responded I was going to the house until he figured his mess out. He went to hollering what about my hay. I told him I wasn't baleing that field for 20 or 25 rolls. I went to the house.
He called the next day crying wanting to know if I was going to bale the field? I ask do you have your mess cleaned up? He said yes. I went back and baled the field and it kicked out 80 roll's. I went and got my 40 roll's and told him I would never bale his field again I don't do business that way. I then put out the word to the other balers in the area how he conducted his business. He hasn't been able to get anyone to cut his field in the last few years after we got to comparing notes he had tried to screw others.
This is a two way street.

Moral a good understanding goes a long way and stick to it.

Caustic Burno":qqc82l89 said:
piedmontese":qqc82l89 said:
i cant believe all this call the cops be nice bullsheet advice.i cant stand cop callers.it sounds as if both parties involved have been lax with what is expected from each other.find out who the guy is and simply call him and express your concerns to him.if u want some of the hay in return just tell him that and if he says no then let him know you are no longer interested in doing business with him.as for the equipment let him know you want it gone and giv him a reasonable amount of time to move it.i'm sure if u ask around u can find out who the guy is and a way to contact him.i just dont see the need to immediately call the cops and turn it into a nasty ordeal.

I agree 100%.
It is the whiner's fault from jump street the minute a rut was made or the hay deal wasn't what he thought he should have hollered Whoa.

I was baleing a field one time for a fellow on halves, while I was baleing a truck showed up with a float.
He was fixing to load up hay. I ask what he was doing, he said the owner had called him and sold him fifty rolls.
I told him I am not baleing and counting hay at the same time and there isn't a 100 rolls on this field.
I guess the baler had spit out about fifteen roll's I shut it down and called the owner his reply was it kicked out a 100 last year and he had sold this fellow 50 rolls, I responded I was going to the house until he figured his mess out. He went to hollering what about my hay. I told him I wasn't baleing that field for 20 or 25 rolls. I went to the house.
He called the next day crying wanting to know if I was going to bale the field? I ask do you have your mess cleaned up? He said yes. I went back and baled the field and it kicked out 80 roll's. I went and got my 40 roll's and told him I would never bale his field again I don't do business that way. I then put out the word to the other balers in the area how he conducted his business. He hasn't been able to get anyone to cut his field in the last few years after we got to comparing notes he had tried to screw others.
This is a two way street.

Moral a good understanding goes a long way and stick to it.
Yes it does, things need to be agreed on before you start.

I agree CB. The first year we here we had a neighbor cut and roll our hay on a 50/50 deal. He cut and rolled 91 rolls and left it in the field. After two weeks I picked it up and moved it along my fence line in one field and moved my cattle into the other field so they would not be eating on the new cut rolls. After they were moved the neighbor came over and took all the hay. I ask why he took my half and he said it was mostly weeds. No more oral agreements for me which is a shame as I was raised and told by my dad that "If your word is no good then you are no good"

If you don't know the fellows name or number what are you going to do ? Wait till the frigging snow fly's and he shows up or he show's up and your not home , takes the hay and his equipment , then what have you got . Sure the best way to handle it was from day one , but that has long sence past . My self I'd have the hay stacked and his equipment stashed with a wheel off each piece .The mess would be sorted out before anything left the yard . If the story is true as told .

mlazyj":2bsn65ho said:
If you don't know the fellows name or number what are you going to do ? Wait till the frigging snow fly's and he shows up or he show's up and your not home , takes the hay and his equipment , then what have you got . Sure the best way to handle it was from day one , but that has long sence past . My self I'd have the hay stacked and his equipment stashed with a wheel off each piece .The mess would be sorted out before anything left the yard . If the story is true as told .

What you are advocating could quickly lead to gunfire in this neck of the woods. Start messing with a man's equipment and he think's he has some kind of agreement.
There are three sides to every story.
Your Side
His Side
The truth somewhere in the middle.

Much simplier to just lock the gates he will find you. You can bet on it.

What an amazing story. How many years have you been giving this fellow your field for free? Why didn't you ask about your 10 bales the first year they did not show up? You don't mention the time frame, but this sounds like it has been going on for years. And then it gets more amazing that you don't even know the guys name or where he is from?? Did you also give him the gas for the tractor? Now he is a schmuck for not living up to his end of the bargain. But you should have called him on that the first year he didn't hold up his end of the bargain.

I am also of the opinion that from what we know of the story police are not necessary. I would simply wait to have a conversation with him. Hopefully friendly. Why have you not left me my 10 bales? That was our agreement and since that hasn't happened I am hiring someone else next year to put up mu hay. Can you please remove your equipment at your earliest convenience. And those 9 bales out in the field will take care of payment for this year.

mlazyj":10uesine said:
for one it's your hay on your property use it . For second his equipment is on your property without your permission ,he's tresspassing . Is there a neighbor that may know this fellows name ? He needs to be contacted to get is stuff off your land or it will be turned over to the sheriff . If you cann't get the guys name ,turn it over to the sheriff . I would get the hay stacked and seccure in case this fellow just happens to drop by . He's already taken advantage of you don't let him have another chance . Don't make another deal he's done.

ditto on all of the above, i would also pay a visit to a local attorney, as you sound very confused regarding your rights.....it sounds like you don't want to confront him - the attorney is good for that!

All pretty much academic since the OP hasn;t been back since posting.

dun":3jy3much said:
All pretty much academic since the OP hasn;t been back since posting.

Good point Dun. And since that was his first post, I can't help but wonder if someone is pulling our leg on this story. :nod: :lol2:

hooknline":2m1hjuf7 said:
I've got a pair of balls off a steer if you need to borrow em. :welcome:
Yep, they are currently hanging from his wife's rear view mirror.

Isomade":222m7eb2 said:
hooknline":222m7eb2 said:
I've got a pair of balls off a steer if you need to borrow em. :welcome:
Yep, they are currently hanging from his wife's rear view mirror.
Not from the rear bumper?

Latest posts