Movie - Wind River

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I don't find many movies these days that appeal to me. The action stuff is mindless. But watched a good one tonight. As many know, I lived in Casper, Wyoming for 7 years. It is one of the great experiences I have been fortunate to have. It is a stark, rugged and dangerous landscape. The mountains in winter are unforgiving.

The movie is Wind River.

I will definatly check it out. I watched Space Balls. I spect you wouldn't like it.

Is that in theaters or Netflix, or where can I see it?. I really enjoyed the lead actor in Hurt Locker.

bball":rn3e8drx said:
Is that in theaters or Netflix, or where can I see it?. I really enjoyed the lead actor in Hurt Locker.

I got it at redbox. Reminded me of Longmire.

I prefer non fiction to fiction myself. But for a made up story Wind River should be good. It was written and
directed by Taylor Sheridan. He also wrote "Hxll or High Water" a western thriller that had 4 Oscar nominations
including Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay about 2 brothers robbing banks being pursued by 2 Texas Rangers

Wind River released in 2017 Rotten Tomatoes audience score of 4.2 out of 5 with 91% of 25,453 users liking it.
You may also like:
SICARIO written by Taylor Sheridan released 2015 rt score 4.0 of 5 and 84% liked

Son of Butch":26wev72k said:
I prefer non fiction to fiction myself. But for a made up story Wind River should be good. It was written and
directed by Taylor Sheridan. He also wrote "Hxll or High Water" a western thriller that had 4 Oscar nominations
including Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay about 2 brothers robbing banks being pursued by 2 Texas Rangers

Wind River released in 2017 Rotten Tomatoes audience score of 4.2 out of 5 with 91% of 25,453 users liking it.
You may also like:
SICARIO written by Taylor Sheridan released 2015 rt score 4.0 of 5 and 84% liked

I watched the trailer on HeII or High Water. Going to find that.

Jeff Bridges ruined Hell or highwater.
His fake accent and talking like he had a mouthful of rocks ruined a semi good plot

I watched it when it first came out. Both my sibling had early deaths, my sister while in college. The way the Fathers talk about losing a child reminded me exactly of what my parents still say to this day. My folks have never been the same but who could expect them to be. It brought back bad memories but it is a good movie. If it weren't for the personal aspect I would HIGHLY recomend the movie but told my Mom to stay away from it at all cost.

Cross-7":2ki8zdn6 said:
Jeff Bridges ruined be nice or highwater.
His fake accent and talking like he had a mouthful of rocks ruined a semi good plot

Cross: I watched HeII or High Water last night. It was entertaining. I thought Bridges was interesting.

BTW: based on that characterization of West Texas, it reminds me of the culture of Eastern Kentucky.

Finally got it watched. Very well done with some insightful dialogue and commentary. Thanks for the recommend.

bball":pjy0meo5 said:
Finally got it watched. Very well done with some insightful dialogue and commentary. Thanks for the recommend.

Brad:

I have lived a good life. I resided in Casper, WY. From 1980 to 1987 when I left the Department of the Interior to join the US EPA in Helena MT

While residing in Wyoming, I crossed the Wind River Reservation and experienced first hand the magnificence and majesty of the Wind River Mountain Range.
eakr2w.jpg

Bright Raven":3k1eftt4 said:
bball":3k1eftt4 said:

Brad:

I have lived a good life. I resided in Casper, WY. From 1980 to 1987 when I left the Department of the Interior to join the US EPA in Helena MT

While residing in Wyoming, I crossed the Wind River Reservation and experienced first hand the magnificence and majesty of the Wind River Mountain Range.

I have seen some beautiful places in this world, but i cant imagine just how profoundly vast and majestic the mountain range must be there.
Question, did you notice life on the reservation being similar to as was depicted in the movie? The crime, violence, poverty, drugs, despair? There were several very powerful scenes in this film. One of them that really struck me was the 'death face' paint scene near the end. Martins response to Corys question was slightly chilling to me...i dont know. I made it up. There is no one left to teach us now.

bball":j2w7y786 said:
Bright Raven":j2w7y786 said:
bball":j2w7y786 said:

Brad:

Question, did you notice life on the reservation being similar to as was depicted in the movie? The crime, violence, poverty, drugs, despair? There were several very powerful scenes in this film. One of them that really struck me was the 'death face' paint scene near the end. Martins response to Corys question was slightly chilling to me...i dont know. I made it up. There is no one left to teach us now.

Yes. Very much so. I had a detail that required me to work on all 7 Indian reservations in Montana. It was discouraging. I have tremendous sympathy for the American Indian. Their way of life was abruptly totally voided. They were placed in circumstances where they had no past experiences with which to cope. I acknowledge the history of mankind is littered with tragedy but I doubt many cases rival the American Indians

If we had all coexisted peacefully, do you think that by now 2017, they would have joined our day to day rat race? Just a thought, to stimulate discussion. I'd say that the number living/holding to the "old ways" would be less than 1%.

Bigfoot":1rpnk9x1 said:
If we had all coexisted peacefully, do you think that by now 2017, they would have joined our day to day rat race? Just a thought, to stimulate discussion. I'd say that the number living/holding to the "old ways" would be less than 1%.

If the two cultures would have set out on a path to integrate - yes. If they were willing partners and we were willing mentors - yes. They could have been guided into the "rat race". It would be difficult for two peaceful cultures to coexist - one basically in the stone age and one in the throes of the industrial revolution.

Their native intelligence was/is not a limiting factor. They have the capability. They simply had no cultural compass to deal with a reservation way of life. They had been nomads for 20,000 years. Then suddenly, they were put in detention on small parcels of low quality land.

Latest posts