Moved Daughter Off to College Today

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":sumsaqxu said:
You raise them to stand on their own and plan their whole childhood for the times like this. Then when you turn them out, you are the one who is not ready.

That pretty well sums it up, BHB. Me and Momma cried like babies when we took our Son to A&M and it wasn't any easier when our Daughter went off to school either. But after about a month the reality sinks in when they come in for a weekend with a load of laundry and sleep till 2 in the afternoon.

I love all three of my daughters but when they left home for college I was one happy dad. Mom was very happy as well. Seeing them once a month instead of daily was much better. We're just not one of those huggy kissy kind of families I guess. Sorry to hear so many of you aren't enjoying the move as much as we did but don't worry, they will come back. Again and again and again............... :D

Our son leaves this weekend for his final semester at ULL. I remember his first semester away, we would call every few days to see how things were going. It does get easier, but every time he leaves, the house seems a little larger for a couple of days. Sounds like ya'll did a good job of raising your daughter. Best of luck to her.

Moved my daughter back to TAMU last weekend for her Junior year. After a couple years of college expenses it's all about gettin her off the dole now. Word of advice for 1st time college parents: set expectations for 4 year graduation and follow thru on it.

Proverbs 12:10":3cgtbok5 said:
Moved my daughter back to TAMU last weekend for her Junior year. After a couple years of college expenses it's all about gettin her off the dole now. Word of advice for 1st time college parents: set expectations for 4 year graduation and follow thru on it.

When I started at Aggieland back in the dark ages, the profs. could care less if you learned or not. And it was a small school back then...about 7500 students. Didn't even care if you showed up for class as long as you could pass the exams. They definitely weeded out the ones who were not serious, or maybe let you sort of weed yourself out. Chemistry class was an ampitheater with over 400 students in it. Prof had to use a sound system to be heard. She'll do ok Skyline. DBU is probably close enough to home for convenience as well. I personally would have recommended a good Catholic school :nod: :nod: but she'll enjoy her college years. When things really get cranked up on campus she'll be in "hog heaven".

TexasBred":yjzxdtll said:
When I started at Aggieland back in the dark ages, the profs. could care less if you learned or not. And it was a small school back then...about 7500 students.
Chemistry class was an ampitheater with over 400 students in it. Prof had to use a sound system to be heard.

There were more students in my chemistry 111 class than in my entire high school.
Dr. Hunt was a legend. A typical 50 minute lecture contained 10 minutes about the virtues of Hereford cattle (he was a successful breeder of horned herfs), 5 minutes of jokes about folks south of US 40, 5 minutes of stories about Purdue sports legends and how Doc made sure they passed chem, and 30 minutes of Chemistry.
The first lecture, a student made the mistake of falling asleep in the front row. Doc never stopped talking, but through gestures he had an assistant fill a 500 ml beaker with water. Still talking, he walked over and emptied the beaker on the unlucky sleeper. Priceless.

john250":m407j1si said:
TexasBred":m407j1si said:
When I started at Aggieland back in the dark ages, the profs. could care less if you learned or not. And it was a small school back then...about 7500 students.
Chemistry class was an ampitheater with over 400 students in it. Prof had to use a sound system to be heard.

There were more students in my chemistry 111 class than in my entire high school.
Dr. Hunt was a legend. A typical 50 minute lecture contained 10 minutes about the virtues of Hereford cattle (he was a successful breeder of horned herfs), 5 minutes of jokes about folks south of US 40, 5 minutes of stories about Purdue sports legends and how Doc made sure they passed chem, and 30 minutes of Chemistry.
The first lecture, a student made the mistake of falling asleep in the front row. Doc never stopped talking, but through gestures he had an assistant fill a 500 ml beaker with water. Still talking, he walked over and emptied the beaker on the unlucky sleeper. Priceless.

:) I had an 8 am thermodynamics class at TAMU with quite a few Corp guys in the class, who apparently weren't getting much sleep. One day one of them feel asleep on about the second row and got a chalkboard eraser loaded with chalk thrown upside his head by the prof. It looked like a mushroom cloud rising above him. One of the funniest things I saw in 4 years at school! :D

Well, she came home from college for the holiday weekend. She survived the first week of classes and we're having a great time getting caught up with each other. She's made a few good friends already, says the cafeteria food is actually very good, appears to be very organized at this point, and seems to have a handle on her classes. She's talked about what time to leave on Monday afternoon, so I think she is actually planning to get in her car and go back. My wife and I have calmed down and we're doing much better. I got some good sleep last night. I think we might actually survive this transition after all. :D Thanks to all for the kind words of encouragement and the prayers.

Been there, done that, 2 1/2 years ago. It's the worst feeling that I've ever had. Everything however has all turned out very good. The empty pit in your stomach will get better...

Latest posts