Moved and have tentatively opted to change my whole life..

Help Support CattleToday:

Got a place to fish if you stock the cement pond with catfish.....:LOL:

Enjoy being FULLY retired...just don't let it slow you down. Doctor appointment seem to keep us busy these days, but still find our schedule pretty full with other activities.

@greybeard Your statement on life and realities rings true for all to see. It's a beautiful home...you can always travel out to see those calves. I'm in good health at 59, but i work slower and careful these days....I'm going to try to eek out (stretch out) my cattle experience until i'm 72 to 75. Got to be able to climb into the bed of a truck and lift and walk 50lbs bags around...operate a chainsaw safely. I'm hoping for a live-in ranch person w/ his family to carry-on my cattle operation...if not, I'll be stopping at every ranch to hand out cattle cubes and bananas over the fence line...if i get caught...well so be it. My only crime is my love for cattle.

Got a place to fish if you stock the cement pond with catfish.....:LOL:

Enjoy being FULLY retired...just don't let it slow you down. Doctor appointment seem to keep us busy these days, but still find our schedule pretty full with other activities.
Wife and I, several years ago, went out to Balmorhea State park where the San Solomon springs feed a big huge swimming pool and catfish, turtles and Mexican tetras are swimming along with you. Plenty of fresh water coming in constantly but ya still smelled like fish when you got out of the pool.

The kitchen photo shows a stove top with a glass top. I believe you have an electric stove top...no gas there. Enjoy slowing down.

Lovely! More than lovely!
We had cattle all our married life until we retired at 72. Bad as I hate to say it,
there is life after cattle.
We sold our ranch and moved back to Wyoming where our family is. We have enough acres to put up some hay so the old guy who lives here 🤣 still has hay to put up. But he is slowing down too (he will be 78 on the 4th of July) and this place is a lot of work. About now, I'd enjoy living in town and being able to go to a meeting, or the grocery store without driving to get there.

Best wishes to you and your wife.

@greybeard Welcome to Copperas Cove! I've been here since last July while I finished the remodel of my Austin home which is now sold and cashed out. The fun of building on my acreage in Rockdale has begun so it's nose to the grindstone again. Best wishes on your new place!

Nice looking house and property. Enjoy it while you can.

I'm ten years older with the same physical ailments plus a few more serious ones. Scaling back the ranching and building a new home on a five acre piece of our ranch. Will split it off and move into the new smaller place when completed. I'm doing this ten years too late.

Anyway, enjoy the upcoming years and concentrate on keeping your health.

Best to you and your bride.

@greybeard Welcome to Copperas Cove! I've been here since last July while I finished the remodel of my Austin home which is now sold and cashed out. The fun of building on my acreage in Rockdale has begun so it's nose to the grindstone again. Best wishes on your new place!
Passed close to you last week with the Uhaul, on 36. Plenty of green grass and corn around Milano and Cameron. Here, not so much ;)

GB I have been talking to several about letting them run cows on my place for free .
Just keep up the fences that way I can raise a steer calf or two for us and the kids.
CB we've been doing the same thing. GB I hope you fall in love with the new life style. Best wishes to you and your wife.

Maybe you mentioned it somewhere and I missed it, and maybe it's just none of my business and you don't want to say (because of course it's none of my business, so that would be okay), but why did you pick that part of the country? Family nearby?

Passed close to you last week with the Uhaul, on 36. Plenty of green grass and corn around Milano and Cameron. Here, not so much ;)

I've been wearing out the pavement on Hwy 36 from Temple down to Cameron, then south on 77 to my place.

Maybe you mentioned it somewhere and I missed it, and maybe it's just none of my business and you don't want to say (because of course it's none of my business, so that would be okay), but why did you pick that part of the country? Family nearby?
We lived out in San Angelo from 95-2006 and really liked it but it was a little too far from my East Texas family. Drove out in this area in 2020 (Goldthwaite, Temple, Gatesville, Lampasas, Brady, San Saba and like it here too--looking for dry air, no pines, fewer flying biting bugs, ability to see to the horizon and relatively close to good medical facilities without all the traffic. Copperas Cove fits the bill. Not perfect but nowhere is.

I sold my property in San Jacinto county (sold 3-4 days after listing which tells me I sold to cheap) and packed up and arrived in Central Texas with our last load of "stuff" last Thursday evening. Found to my dismay, that the dweeb managing 2nd 10x20 storage room place I had reserved in Lampasas had rented it out so I had to rent one in Copperas Cove. That worked out all right in the end... Been a refugee in Days Inn Copperas Cove for 4 days now.
We've looked at nearly 40 places in person since last Thursday and really didn't find anything out around Lampasas/San Saba that fit both my budget and my wants. I wanted a small place, raise a few calves each year maybe but that ain't going to happen.
I'm pretty pragmatic about things in life but my wants have for some time over-ridden the reality of my life. I can afford the property but for what and be able to work it for how long?
I'll be 72 in a few weeks. My health is not good. Both shoulders worn out, a decades old injury/bad back that for months has caused terrible pain down my right leg and a weak right hip. I could barely walk from my back porch down to the pond, much less do any real work for very long. Then, diabetic, plus an official diagnosis of congestive heart failure. Made the decision yesterday, that my agriculture/farm days are done. Time for me to just live out my remaining months/years in town and take it easy and according to my kids and my wife, I have to do it somewhere close to good medical facilities. I have never feared death but not going to rush it either.
Wife also deserves to be able to live comfortably and not worry about fences, water well, a malfunctioning waste water plant, grass fires...or , floods so we've put in a bid and presumably are going to close within 3 weeks on a nice house in a subdivision in Copperas Cove. It's definitely 'livin above my raising' and I'll have to build a little shop to pursue my woodworking hobby but I can make it work I suppose. Just have to find somewhere to fish.

I am SO going to miss what I've done for so long, but deep down, I know I just can't do it any more.
4 bdr, 2 bath, small 1/3 ac lot with neighbors stuck up our butts but it is what it is. (had to have room for friends, family, the kids and grandkids to visit.)

View attachment 16770

View attachment 16771
Kitchen is wider than the photo shows and since I do all the cooking anyway, I wanted a big kitchen.
View attachment 16772

View attachment 16773

View attachment 16774

I'll have to replace the wooden fence with a newer one, but that's within my ability still.
I can't say I'm happy to reach this point but I'm very happy that I'm able to provide my sweetheart of 28 years with a home she can enjoy even after I'm gone. After all she endured down in East Texas along that river, all the bugs, the humidity, the floods and more, she deserves at least this.
Oh, Copperas Cove. Was stationed at Fort Hood during my Reserve years before recall and eventual retirement from active duty.

That's a nice house and I hope you can do everything you want...and find a fishing hole nearby.

I'm much younger than you, but totally disabled by a flu shot. Running sheep and cows on 35 acres. I'm in constant pain, can't move well, and there are some days where putting one foot in front of the other is terribly difficult. I wouldn't have it any other way, though, even though I know the day is coming when I'll have to make a decision similar to yours here. Toughness and stubbornness keep me going.

Best of luck.

Just wanted you to know that several friends on a forum you no longer frequent said to say hello and best wishes. I mentioned that you had decided to quit the cattle and move away from the beaver infested, wet and over watered farm you and your wife were on and take time to go somewhere to fish that wouldn't come up to your back porch everytime it rained. They all said they missed your posts and hoped that you enjoyed having some time to do things that didn't require fixing fences or shooting beavers....and to stop in and post a hello....

Latest posts