Move hay rings/feeders or leave in one spot?

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
The hay ring post below got me to think what folks do as far as moving hay rings through the winter or just leave them in one spot.

I am leaning more toward leaving them in one spot to concentrate the manure/dropped hay in one spot so it can be forked, piled and composted.

I had one area this past spring that I used a manure fork on my loader to build a compost pile in May and it was really nicely composted down to half or less its original volume by November and a neighbor and I spread it on a nearby newer pasture of mine. It looked like very good stuff.

It seems when I move the feeders I end up leaving a number of spots that are tough to clean up. I end up dragging them but it still takes longer for that spot to grow any useful grazing forage.

So I am leaving them in two fairly small sacrifice areas, maybe moving a couple yards but that is about it.

Do you folks, other than bale grazers, move them around or leave them near one spot all winter?

Jim

Near one spot. I move the ring about 2 cow lengths from the outside of the mucky spot from the last place it was. When the mud drys up in the old spot I move the ring back when I need to put out a new bale.

we move ours when they get so muddy that you could stick the tractor putting hay out.you do not want to sticl the tractor in a muddhole like that.

dun":jem4hiqp said:
Near one spot. I move the ring about 2 cow lengths from the outside of the mucky spot from the last place it was. When the mud drys up in the old spot I move the ring back when I need to put out a new bale.

That's about what I did yesterday - not at all muddy at -5 F but will be eventually. It gives the calves a little bedding under where the double cradle feeder was. I'll move it back next time.

Seems like dropped or spoiled/outer wrap hay in an area like this, eventually mixed with manure and composted, is not really wasted but makes some really great compost.

Jim

SRBeef, that's exactly how my father-in-law does it and it seems to work great.

It composts down into some beautiful "black top soil" over time. I suppose if you don't have the equipment to push/pile it, then moving the rings each time would be the way to go.

In all but one pasture, we unroll hay, and they don't get feed.
The exception is the weaners. Their feed bunks stay in one place; we're sandy enough that standing water/mud isn't really an issue. We do move their hay ring around in a clear patch in the woods, so it doesn't interfere with actual 'pasture' and they can get some break from the wind while they eat.

Since I use them mostly just when it is raining, I move them just about every time. This year since it is almost a bog before I feed, a mud slick is created every time I feed a bale.

I move my rings around every time I put out new rolls, I feed all my hay in the woods. Gives them a little protection from the wind,and dont make a mess in the pasture. Have been told it will kill the trees,over time, Dont know about that, yet.

Yes it will kill the trees in time. Damages the root systems and compacts the soil. If it is high dollar trees like walnut or white oak it will put stain in the wood reducing the value. If it is pine or cedar sure is a good windbreak.

The biggest thing to remember about winter feeding around rings is your stocking rate per acre IMO.
This is a disease, parasite breeding ground in the winter you go to 30 to 35 cows per acre versus one or two. This is another cost to maintain herd health.They all eat sleep, crap and pee around that bale of hay.

How do those cradles work in sloping areas? About the only level or fairly level places here is the floor of the house

Angus Cowman":393zrp7u said:
dun":393zrp7u said:
How do those cradles work in sloping areas? About the only level or fairly level places here is the floor of the house
are you sure the floor is level???
"Fairly" level

dun":2gwth44r said:
Angus Cowman":2gwth44r said:
dun":2gwth44r said:
are you sure the floor is level???
"Fairly" level
so that means it slopes NO more than /4 inch per ft right :lol: :lol:
I have a couple barns like that they lean they way the hills are going :eek:

Angus Cowman":2bjq5jdo said:
so that means it slopes NO more than /4 inch per ft right :lol: :lol:
I have a couple barns like that they lean they way the hills are going :eek:
Not sure about how much but the dogs toys all end up against one wall

Caustic Burno":3pb8vj3j said:
The biggest thing to remember about winter feeding around rings is your stocking rate per acre IMO.
This is a disease, parasite breeding ground in the winter you go to 30 to 35 cows per acre versus one or two. This is another cost to maintain herd health.They all eat sleep, crap and pee around that bale of hay.

Good point. The other side of the coin.

Regarding cradles on slopes - because the bales are held up high, If mine are on a slope I make sure they are always running up and down rather than across the slope.

Jim

I feed on a rocky caliche bed. It is pretty hard and high ground with some slope. The only "bad" spot in that whole 75 acre pasture. I slide each cradle south about 15 feet at each feeding. After a heavy rain the only muck at that spot is cow poop.

Dun the only problem I have is getting the spear out at times and rocking the cradle upward. I have two fork lift forks on front of the tractor and I am spearing with one of them. It has never tipped but there have been a few times I wondered. Most of the time the spear (fork) slides right out. But the cradles have ended up on a limestone rock a time or two and skewed. It has never been an issue. They are only about 5 by 5 or so.

oscar p":3r1cjixy said:
I move my rings around every time I put out new rolls, I feed all my hay in the woods. Gives them a little protection from the wind,and dont make a mess in the pasture. Have been told it will kill the trees,over time, Dont know about that, yet.

Yep it sure will kill 'em if you do it long enough in the same spot.

I don't feed in the woods any more. I feed in the pastures and move the rings every time. By the end of the winter I have fertilized several acres for free. It's obvious the next season because there is more grass there.

If its good hay I move them around because they clean most of it up. I also will feed in spots that need some coastal planted in them... cows do a great job especially in a year like this if the weather is good.

Old hay gets stacked on the same circle over and over so in the spring I can flip a match to it.

Most of the time I feed on the south side of brush or in the right-aways.

Latest posts