Move cattle in the deep snow

Help Support CattleToday:

dimka1980

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I run into yet another issue. We almost run out of hay near by for our stockers, and now the issue is that we need to move cattle onto the field where the hay is. Snow is really deep, I tried to get there on tractor, but could not. I wanted to ask maybe someone has some ideas how to move 20 head in deep snow? We will try to move them the way we moved our heifers, by walking the path to the bale on the horse and then make them follow.

I saw pictures one time of some guys in Northern Nevada moving cattle in deep snow. They had a smallish bulldozer with a tilt blade. 400+ cows following along on the narrow path strung out for a long ways. A track machine will go in snow that will stop a wheeled tractor.

Hi folks,

I run into yet another issue. We almost run out of hay near by for our stockers, and now the issue is that we need to move cattle onto the field where the hay is. Snow is really deep, I tried to get there on tractor, but could not. I wanted to ask maybe someone has some ideas how to move 20 head in deep snow? We will try to move them the way we moved our heifers, by walking the path to the bale on the horse and then make them follow.
How far do they need to go and how deep is the snow?

How far do they need to go and how deep is the snow?
We plan to move them on the road so should be bad, and then about 200-300 feet in somewhat deep snow before they get to the field, and then from one bale to the next in very deep, 3-5 feet deep snow on the field. I find it hard for them to move in that snow, but once man or horse go them seem to follow

Get a bigger tractor lol. Bucket or plow on the front and I often skim the top snow off so that I can drive around and give the cows someplace to walk.

Drifts are the worst as they are windswept hard. I can drive thru 3 or 4 foot of regular snow but a drift is another story. That's when you are better off with the bucket or a plow and doing some removal first.

Get a bigger tractor lol. Bucket or plow on the front and I often skim the top snow off so that I can drive around and give the cows someplace to walk.

🤣 Yea what's the problem just get a bigger tractor. While your at it I need an Excavator or Bulldozer. 🤡😅🤣 😁

Guess you didn't see the LOL. Ha.

Speaking of a bulldozer, UP here in the land of 15 foot of snowfall I've hired a dozer to come in and clear out a lane and gate to move cattle around. Sometimes the money spent is well worth the time and aggregation saved.

Guess you didn't see the LOL. Ha.

Speaking of a bulldozer, UP here in the land of 15 foot of snowfall I've hired a dozer to come in and clear out a lane and gate to move cattle around. Sometimes the money spent is well worth the time and aggregation saved.

I did and I did 🤣 I thought it was great.
For some they may be able to just get a bigger tractor and that's wonderful. For us we have to save up for it and/or sell something. I was agreeing get a bigger tractor maybe even borrow one.

Latest posts