Mouse trap

Help Support CattleToday:

2/B or not 2/B":24f8kmod said:
This is inspiring me to make something on a bigger scale for ground squirrels. They drown in the water trough regularly during the summer, dig giant holes everywhere, taunt the dogs, carry fleas and worms, attract rattle snakes. Hate them. Every now and then I go on a 22 killing spree, but somehow they can always tell whether or not you have a gun.

Are you talking about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_squirrel . If so I don't think you can trap them with what is described here.

3waycross":1xu0fbko said:
2/B or not 2/B":1xu0fbko said:
This is inspiring me to make something on a bigger scale for ground squirrels. They drown in the water trough regularly during the summer, dig giant holes everywhere, taunt the dogs, carry fleas and worms, attract rattle snakes. Hate them. Every now and then I go on a 22 killing spree, but somehow they can always tell whether or not you have a gun.

Are you talking about this <a href=""></a> . If so I don't think you can trap them with what is described here.

Yeah, dirty flea ridden vermin. Pretty sure we could use a metal drum instead of a bucket. Might not even need bait. They'll come just for the water.

That lady updated again. 34 in her McGyver trap. 2 in the drum sprinkled with chaff, so that is nowhere near as effictive. That brings her running total to 158.

The owners are not counting the mice caught in the McGyver Trap which is a bigger shed with more hay. So it probably catches more, but she is only thinking of matching it with what she catches. She is hoping to get 500 in each!!!!

Suzie Q":1qv1emo7 said:
A girl has just posted on an Aussie forum. There is a mouse plage in Wagga Wagga at the moment.

She devised her own water trap and in the morning 54 dead mice in the trap. Yes she did take a photo of them!!!!

Hmm... she must enjoy counting dead mice...

dwilliams35":q2fxuz3g said:
A board with some peanut butter smeared on it, a flashlight, a pellet gun, and a six pack. Don't get any more fun than that.
:nod:

Was locking up the cows food shed last night and heard a loud noice from above, sounded a bit like thunder until I realized it was rats taking a sprint on the roof after I disturbed them. I watched them (two humongous buggers :shock: ) run across a pipe, escaping into another building.

Have set the trap - tonight is the night!!!

Nothing last night but there are droppings all around the area :eek: perhaps they fall in, have a swim and lift each other out :lol: . Have it all set for tonight, if I don't catch anything I'll have to try something else. Heard about cutting a cross in the middle of some baking sheet and spanning over a drum of water, when the rat/mouse goes for the bait in the middle the cross collapses and the rat falls through into the water. Sounds simple enough but does it work!

alisonb":19sgtav2 said:
Heard about cutting a cross in the middle of some baking sheet and spanning over a drum of water, when the rat/mouse goes for the bait in the middle the cross collapses and the rat falls through into the water. Sounds simple enough but does it work!
Do you mean like parchment paper? It sounds like it should work to me. How will you secure the paper on the ends and how will the rats get up on the top of the drum?

Another fruitless night, some of the peanut butter has been eaten off the tin :(

Ga.prime - Yes, I should have said baking 'paper', I suppose newspaper would work as well. If you cut the piece of paper long enough to fold over the sides you could secure with string or an elastic band. I have a wooden pole on the one side and have the drum against bags on the other side for them to access the trap. I will try this method tonight.

Nothing again.

I have just finished putting in a ceiling and insulating the little building that they are escaping to, so they obviously sleep there during the day. Now in some matters I'm a very patient person but that is not so in this case. This calls for some quick action -
DSC00010-2.jpg

There is one down side to this though, there is gonna be a stench :shock: :yuck:

Thanks for the suggestion Valerie.

Was going to use the fumitabs this morning after again attempting the traps last night. To my surprise I found two adult rats, a male and female in the 'tin on wire' trap. So put some gloves on and hauled them out :yuck: onto a piece of iron and went about some chores. About an hour later I grabbed my camera to take some pics and the male was just missing, gone! He was definitely dead so something had a meal. Here is a pic of the female - 50cm(20 odd inches), nose to tip of tail :shock: Scary shytt!! :lol:
DSC00006-2.jpg

I have Norway rats here. They eat everything! (They have eaten nearly every hen chick I've put in the hen house for 3 years. They don't touch the rooster chicks.)

Do you think a 5 gallon bucket would work for them?

I'm a bit reluctant to put antifreeze in it. Either chickens or dogs would get into it, and I couldn't stand to kill one of them. Is there another liquid other than water I could use?

Latest posts