Mouse trap

Help Support CattleToday:

Lon

Reaction score
Talking to one of our deer hunters on the phone this evening and he was telling me about a mouse trap.
Said take a bucket cut a round hole in the side. Run a piece of wire through it with a tin can top and bottom cut off of it and some peanut butter on the tin can. put antifreez in bottom of bucket.
said mice run down the wire get on the can to eat the pb and the can spins throwing them in the bucket where they cant get out. the antifreeze stops them from stinkin. said they do it in thier hunting cabin and go out there once a month dump the mice out.

Have seen this type used in Canada at the outpost cabins. We made one similar, but we left the ends on the can and punched a small hole on each end of the can. We then tied a piece of bacon on the can, we also leaned a board up aginst the bucket. Its really quite effective

Lon":3dub8yww said:
Talking to one of our deer hunters on the phone this evening and he was telling me about a mouse trap.
Said take a bucket cut a round hole in the side. Run a piece of wire through it with a tin can top and bottom cut off of it and some peanut butter on the tin can. put antifreez in bottom of bucket.
said mice run down the wire get on the can to eat the pb and the can spins throwing them in the bucket where they cant get out. the antifreeze stops them from stinkin. said they do it in thier hunting cabin and go out there once a month dump the mice out.
Could you post a picture?
Thanks
Valerie

You can use a 44 gallon drum, sprinkle chaff over the top of water in it. Put a plank from the ground outside the drum up to the side of the drum. Place a greased bottle and put the bait in the end of the bottle. They step on the grease and end up in the water.

i think if i find the time going to make one tomarrow. i will take pictures and post if get it made. keep in mind though it will be what my mind pictures because i didnt see in person when described.

where the devil can I find a 44 gallon drum? i know it has to do with something metric......
400 kilometers at 50 liters per hectare or something like that.

i did it with a 5 gal bucket...place a ramp to a dowel across the top of the bucket..peanut butter in the middle..they cross and fall in when they go to eat..if ya lose a gerbil or a hamster in your house just dont put the water in the btm and in a day or 2 youll have him back...it really werks pretty good

44 gallon drum is equal to 205 litres I presume. They use them over here. Other than that any drum that is deep enough for them to not jump out of. Deep enough water that then can not stand.

Lon":zdxxw5hc said:

The way we do it is put some butcher paper over the top of the bucket and cut and X in it. Then we dangle some Pbutter on
a string from ceiling.......the jump off the cabinet..........into doom~!:)

Found a picture on the net for you.

0327111105.jpg

Suzie Q":31d37cpv said:
44 gallon drum is equal to 205 litres I presume. They use them over here. Other than that any drum that is deep enough for them to not jump out of. Deep enough water that then can not stand.
220 litres

A girl has just posted on an Aussie forum. There is a mouse plage in Wagga Wagga at the moment.

She devised her own water trap and in the morning 54 dead mice in the trap. Yes she did take a photo of them!!!!

She posted again and she caught another 33 by the next day.

They set up another one in another shed and caught in excess of 50.

That sure should make an indentation in their population growth you would think.

This is inspiring me to make something on a bigger scale for ground squirrels. They drown in the water trough regularly during the summer, dig giant holes everywhere, taunt the dogs, carry fleas and worms, attract rattle snakes. Hate them. Every now and then I go on a 22 killing spree, but somehow they can always tell whether or not you have a gun.

Latest posts