Mourning cow - How long does it last?

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjan said:
So why are you raising and selling any cattle if it is cruel to break up the families, if it is cruel to castrate and cause any stress and pain to these animals? If you are getting so much money for the animals you are selling, then you are contributing to the stress and emotional pain they are feeling as they will surely know that they are going to be killed to be "BEEF" for someone to eat. Unless you are a total vegetarian, then you cannot actually promote this article in psychology today... If that is the case, then you should not have more than a few to graze the grass where they can live out their life in peace and freedom. You should not have a bull or breed AI (as that is unnatural) because if you increase the number of animals then you will soon outgrow the natural available feed for them. And if they breed, there will be a certain percentage of bull calves, but it is cruel to band or castrate them.... so then you will have breeding going on unchecked. So where do the cows draw the line in incest with their sons breeding back their sisters and the fathers screwing the daughters????
I never said that the cows didn't feel the loss of their calves. But you are putting human emotions and REASONING on animals that for the most part, are acting on instinct alone. Instinct will have any male breeding any female that is in heat.... where are your human emotions and feelings and reasonings?
And for every act of CRUELTY, I can show you acts of kindness towards animals that have gone above and beyond....

So everytime you sell an animal to someone for beef; or a heifer to someone who can breed her to raise their own beef, stop and think about this article that you are so enamored of. And then go ahead and sell it anyway for the money it will bring you to help pay for you to raise more "healthy, naturally raised animals for consumption".

I also wonder about the chickens that you raise for the eggs, are they also all happy, loose and free ranging hens? How do you think they feel about knowing that their eggs are going to get cracked open and people are going to eat them instead of their poor undeveloped babies never getting a chance to develop and hatch and do "chicken things"???? How would they like to be out in the "natural world" with having to defend themselves from the predators that are out to get them at every turn??? Okay, they are not a "mammal"....

And for all the article did about bashing Temple Grandin.... she has done alot to improve the handling of the animals going for slaughter. She is quite a tribute to people overcoming difficulties in their own life, and having met her in person, I am humbled by her accomplishments.

Maybe I am such a terrible person to like to eat my beef. I would prefer to have traveling abattoirs that would come to the farm and do the killing in more familiar surroundings; but I also realize that there are some things we can control and some we can't. I also do not promote the sale or use of any mind altering substances.... and if it is medically beneficial then there should be some allowance for it.... but too often it is abused. As is alcohol, so I am not saying that should be excused. But I do not believe that a person that raises their livestock in a fitting manner, with care for their well being, should be criticized because they are not meeting a standard that you think should be met. And although it has been said here, by people that have been in both the dairy and beef industries, that the animals do present different attitudes towards their calves, I am not going to project human emotions and attitudes and feelings onto these animals. It is still instinctive for them to look for a lost calf, to want to try to "raise one from the dead" and to miss that calf when it is taken away.....but give them a little time, and they will no longer feel any pull towards that missing animal. And although there are exceptions to every rule.... most cows will not welcome back a "family member", as a human would, that can think and be able to have reasonable thoughts.

This may be a little out of line, and I am sorry if it offends anyone. I have about had my fill of people telling us how to raise our animals in a "humane" manner, then turn around and see the insanity of how people are acting out their "rage" and frustrations in public today. There is no RESPECT for other human beings, or for their right to own something they have worked for....but we are supposed to have respect for cows "feelings" ???? We are supposed to sit and take the garbage that is being dished out by spoiled brats that have never worked their butts off to have a little peace and security in their lives, because they think that their "ancestors" were wronged???? And now we are supposed to listen to some expert on cow's feelings, when he is not out there doing the day to day work; Sorry. When that person has walked the walk and talked the talk, then I will give credence to their "expert opinion".

I don't have the time to read all of this but I skimmed it. Many practices in farming are cruel. Many of the things that are said to be ok here in my opinion are cruel. That's my opinion. You wrote some long winded post about how its not a sad moment to remove a calf from a cow. And that's where I disagree. The best farmers admit the flaws of the practice and they say ya, it does suck. But they do ok, and this is how I help them. The whole crazy vegan movement cant handle these responses and in the end it just ruins the industry.

Instead everyone on this board just argues for their rights to continue on doing things the way they have been done and hey that's up to you all. God forbid anyone ever not be a bigot here.

You literally just wrote an entire post about trying to breakdown my farm and call me cruel and make me feel bad. Relating it back to my chickens and how I do things. Good grief.

I can sure respect both your opinions on all this stuff.
But the simple fact is, EVERYTHING becomes something elses dinner eventually....
And I'm all for humane treatment along the way, but it only goes so far...

I'm curious...and wondering how long will a momma cow, who isn't even a year old yet, who just lost a week old calf as of sometime last night, keep mooing and pacing. Reading through the articles, I got a lot of confusing answers, as well as most of it was drama. I just would like a straight forward answer please. We got the momma cow from auction and she was already pregnant, and then gave birth last week on a Monday, the baby lived until sometime last night after I checked on her. We knew it was a 50/50 chance, but I'm beginning to worry about the momma, as I have to remove the deceased calf tonight, and place it somewhere so we can bury it on Friday. Thank you very much.

You can't get a straight answer because there is no straight answer. Cows don't read a manual.
Also, its not possible for a momma cow to be less than a year old.

You can't get a straight answer because there is no straight answer. Cows don't read a manual.
Also, its not possible for a momma cow to be less than a year old.
Regardless, she was very young, and small herself. This is...was her first calf, she had no idea what she was doing but eventually caught on. I didn't ask this question to get rude answers or remarks, let alone sarcastic ones.. I asked because I'm worried, and want to help the momma. If you can't provide me with one, please do not respond to my post. Thank you.

Regardless, she was very young, and small herself. This is...was her first calf, she had no idea what she was doing but eventually caught on. I didn't ask this question to get rude answers or remarks, let alone sarcastic ones.. I asked because I'm worried, and want to help the momma. If you can't provide me with one, please do not respond to my post. Thank you.
I gave you the only answer there is. Do you really think there's a specific number of hours before they magically forget? You can't help, its just part of nature. Usually within a couple days they go about their normal routine.

I gave you the only answer there is. Do you really think there's a specific number of hours before they magically forget? You can't help, its just part of nature. Usually within a couple days they go about their normal routine.
Okay, thank you. I'm sorry, I'm just really worried. This is the first time I've dealt with this, tonight when I feed the momma and her buddy dinner, I'm also going to remove the calf from pasture. I'm worried that the momma may not let me, she's gotten a lot more vocal the last two hours, and it's almost their dinner time, and she keeps pacing and going over to the calf more often. Any ideas?

Okay, thank you. I'm sorry, I'm just really worried. This is the first time I've dealt with this, tonight when I feed the momma and her buddy dinner, I'm also going to remove the calf from pasture. I'm worried that the momma may not let me, she's gotten a lot more vocal the last two hours, and it's almost their dinner time, and she keeps pacing and going over to the calf more often. Any ideas?
Be careful retrieving that calf!!!
As u said hormones are raging right now. And sometimes a cow will flip a switch and go berserk

The bawling can go on for days and sometimes weeks. Usually over with in a few days tho

Have u any experience grafting a new calf on a mama cow?
U still have the best thing to help graft an orphan and that's the dead calf.

Be careful retrieving that calf!!!
As u said hormones are raging right now. And sometimes a cow will flip a switch and go berserk

The bawling can go on for days and sometimes weeks. Usually over with in a few days tho

Have u any experience grafting a new calf on a mama cow?
U still have the best thing to help graft an orphan and that's the dead calf.
I do not. I'm home alone right now, and we do not have any other babies here. This was our first calf, as well as the mommas first calf.

It's a survival advantage for prey animals to search for their babies. Whether or not you want to believe this is grief is debatable. But it is also a survival advantage for a prey animal to get over their loss quickly. In nature they don't want to attract attention from predators. The cow in question may beller for a couple or three days, but that's usually it... and I tend to believe they pretty much forget in a couple of weeks.

This is basic predator/prey psychology 101. Prey animals act like prey animals.

It's a survival advantage for prey animals to search for their babies. Whether or not you want to believe this is grief is debatable. But it is also a survival advantage for a prey animal to get over their loss quickly. In nature they don't want to attract attention from predators. The cow in question may beller for a couple or three days, but that's usually it... and I tend to believe they pretty much forget in a couple of weeks.

This is basic predator/prey psychology 101. Prey animals act like prey animals.
Alright, thank you very much for your help. I'm keeping a close eye on her right now. Tonight I may just feed her and her buddy and leave the calf in their over night at this point. Her mooing has gotten a lot louder, and her pacing a lot more frequent as well as her going over to where her calf is laying. I do not want to risk upsetting her even more by removing the deceased calf, and then having the momma cow try to break out of pasture by looking for her, it's supposed to be cold again tonight anyway.

Alright, thank you very much for your help. I'm keeping a close eye on her right now. Tonight I may just feed her and her buddy and leave the calf in their over night at this point. Her mooing has gotten a lot louder, and her pacing a lot more frequent as well as her going over to where her calf is laying. I do not want to risk upsetting her even more by removing the deceased calf, and then having the momma cow try to break out of pasture by looking for her, it's supposed to be cold again tonight anyway.
I would be more concerned with the cow hurting/injuring you while in the process of taking her calf than I would the cow running away.

Choose life, even when it includes what some would term cruelty.
Farming is an active choosing of life and the things that make life possible. In a fallen world things are sometimes hard.

I have left a dead one for a couple days. They will lay next to it and maybe beller for a couple days. By day 3 they start getting over it and then I haul it to the bone yard (actually I take them to the far corner so the coyotes and ravens have something away from the calving pasture).

Thank you all, I've decided to leave the calf in the pasture tonight. I will try again tomorrow, though. I'm not too worried about animals getting to the deceased calf, since we have a hot fence, it's more the deceased calf may get accidentally stepped on by momma, or momma's buddy in the next couple of days, not to mention it may begin to smell, which then may bring ravens, hawks, and such. But since it's also in a sheltered area, I'm also not too worried so much about birds right now either, right now...it all just depends on the momma, I'm going to respect her, and the process and hope to hear from my sister or her wife soon.

Thank you all, I've decided to leave the calf in the pasture tonight. I will try again tomorrow, though. I'm not too worried about animals getting to the deceased calf, since we have a hot fence, it's more the deceased calf may get accidentally stepped on by momma, or momma's buddy in the next couple of days, not to mention it may begin to smell, which then may bring ravens, hawks, and such. But since it's also in a sheltered area, I'm also not too worried so much about birds right now either, right now...it all just depends on the momma, I'm going to respect her, and the process and hope to hear from my sister or her wife soon.
I find new born calves don't smell much. They don't have a gut full of bacteria to add to the decomposing process, they tend to just dry out a bit. I had a cow have a still born calf this year I ended up leaving it in the paddock for about 5 days as the cow kept going back to it. When I did get the opportunity to remove it there was no obvious smell. I did see the cow back at the spot later that day. This was in our winter, you are getting into your cooler months.

Ken

I'm curious...and wondering how long will a momma cow, who isn't even a year old yet, who just lost a week old calf as of sometime last night, keep mooing and pacing. Reading through the articles, I got a lot of confusing answers, as well as most of it was drama. I just would like a straight forward answer please. We got the momma cow from auction and she was already pregnant, and then gave birth last week on a Monday, the baby lived until sometime last night after I checked on her. We knew it was a 50/50 chance, but I'm beginning to worry about the momma, as I have to remove the deceased calf tonight, and place it somewhere so we can bury it on Friday. Thank you very much.
She cannot be a year old. A 3 month old heifer cant get pregnant. In my experience, they will bellow for a few days until they dry up and the hormones re-adjust. Where are you located? You ought to go back into your profile and enter your location. Also, what breed is your cow? A dairy Holstein or a docile Hereford, you might can get that calf now. An Angus or Brahma or Longhorn may try to kill you, while they are still in this state of mind.

Last edited:
I'd like to know why the calf died if it hit the ground healthy...

Latest posts