Mounting behavior

Help Support CattleToday:

onthehoof

Reaction score
Our heifers (sp) are mounting each other, and if that isn't bad enough, from the wrong end. Why do they do this - is it some type of dominancy behavior? The bigger cow is the more dominant, yet the Jersey is constantly trying to mount her head/neck. Any ideas? We also noticed the smaller hereford heifer doing the same thing.

one of em is in season....you can watch em and use it to time AI (if that is the way you choose) when the bottom cow stands when mounted....

ah...thank you. I was curious about this, as Lilly is bred. Lilly is the one doing the mounting. Lilly won't stand for it when the others try to do the behavior to her, which makes total sense as she is already bred. So must be the larger cow is in season, and they just happen to know it. Thank you for clarifying this for me, I'll pass this info on to my husband.

Learn something new everyday on here! :D

If you put the cow with a bull just make sure he doesn't mount her the wrong way (head/neck) or she may have a backwards calf. :p :D

Ned Jr.":senzdiv7 said:
If you put the cow with a bull just make sure he doesn't mount her the wrong way (head/neck) or she may have a backwards calf. :p :D

I thought that is how you have bull calves! :lol: :lol:

Jogeephus":35ljmv26 said:
Ned Jr.":35ljmv26 said:

I thought that is how you have bull calves! :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Unless estrus is starting and the reproduction responses take over, mounting is normal in cattle. Calves do it from the time they can get up on their hind legs, whether it is practice for grown-up behavior or some inbred motor response or to express dominance in establishing position in the pecking order or it could just feel good to the animal...alot of theories. The heat cycle is pretty easy to detect when watching cows, alot of good posts on the subject.
Just my two bits worth....DMc

A couple of years ago we had a heifer that came into season very young we had bought some heifers that year with the steers because we got them real cheap she was about 550# and even though she was pastured with steers and other heifers she was tormented all of the calves were riding her.

Latest posts