Mountains Reign Ranch in Peyton, Colorado

Help Support CattleToday:

Can a new start beef cattle business be profitable?

• Yes, if you are not an idiot.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, it isn't that hard.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
$3.50 is on the low side compared to others in my area. I am not in high populated area. Like I said, I don't feed many 3-5/yr. I only feed out my Sept/Oct born steers because I have plenty of "lots" available for a small group during the summer. Mine have to be out of here by mid October because of all my breeding groups during winter months. So, not only is it economical for me to finish them at 12/13 months old, it is necessary management wise.
To me, 750# carcass is getting on the big side when you are selling halves.

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
What was your cost of gain on those, if you tracked it?
We don't really track it, but I bet it's not as much as you would expect. We raise all our own feed. They get commercial supplement, corn silage, ryelage, and cracked corn. Their April May born calves, weaned around thanksgiving. The strs are probably close to 6wts. Their backgrounding on grass hay, good silage, and 3 lbs cracked corn/ day, and grower supp.

We don't "try" to get primes. It's kinda just started happening. I don't care how big they get I hate selling selects. So as I've culled cows over the years because their str calves don't preform. We have started getting more and more primes with out getting more YG 4s.

Last edited:

Nkline

Reaction score
Success in the cattle industry starts with a feed plan. Understanding the feed requirements for different classes of cattle, and where this feed will be sourced from, and at what cost is paramount to your success.

What is your current feed plan? How many AUM’s are you working with?

moses388

Reaction score
Success in the cattle industry starts with a feed plan. Understanding the feed requirements for different classes of cattle, and where this feed will be sourced from, and at what cost is paramount to your success.

What is your current feed plan? How many AUM’s are you working with?
AUM = Animal Unit Month
Learn something new everyday.

Latest posts